Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
101 - 120 of 368 Posts
Anyone managed to hit 5000 miles yet and took their car in to the dealer for the free service? I'm curious if they're going to fight with me on 5000 mile oil changes and if they'll use the correct oil.

Anyone managed to hit 5000 miles yet and took their car in to the dealer for the free service? I'm curious if they're going to fight with me on 5000 mile oil changes and if they'll use the correct oil.
They probably will wind up fighting you. I originally told them according to the manual that it requires an oil change every 6 months or 5k. And the GUY WAS TOTALLY FLOORED! Couldn't believe it. This was the service manager mind you. I wound up sending him the exact specs via PDF and then got a call back a week later. Saying OMG this car needs alot of oil changes. NO OTHER TOYOTA Gets this!!! Can you believe it!?!?! Umm there is no other car in the lineup like this....so yea i can believe it. But just like I thought they considered it a run of the mill RAV4. It just keeps becoming more and more clear how they are not informed from Corporate. Anyone with a ME is gonna never wind up taking their car to the dealers.

Still dont understand how much it would wind up costing them for 2 oil changes a year on a car they might wind up selling 2-3 of in an entire year.....seems like they're being sort of stingy.

toyotacare is paid by toyota corporate. this doesn't come out of dealer's pocket. dealer just has to request for reimbursement i think.

of course your average dealer is going to think the standard interval is 1 year/10k. it's just a matter of educating the dealer the maintenance schedule for the GRC. i don't really blame them. they may service 2 GRCs a year. i don't know why they'd try to 'fight' this unless they think they won't get reimbursed by corporate.

if you have some decent DIY skills, you can just change the oil yourself. i would only have the dealer change the oil if you actually care about the oil change getting logged to your VIN. otherwise, it takes more effort/time to go to a dealership for an oil change than to DIY.

toyotacare is paid by toyota corporate. this doesn't come out of dealer's pocket. dealer just has to request for reimbursement i think.

of course your average dealer is going to think the standard interval is 1 year/10k. it's just a matter of educating the dealer the maintenance schedule for the GRC. i don't really blame them. they may service 2 GRCs a year. i don't know why they'd try to 'fight' this unless they think they won't get reimbursed by corporate.

if you have some decent DIY skills, you can just change the oil yourself. i would only have the dealer change the oil if you actually care about the oil change getting logged to your VIN. otherwise, it takes more effort/time to go to a dealership for an oil change than to DIY.

We all paid for that service. The fact that i have to be basically forced to do it, is annoying. Its not a question of ability. Sure I could do it. But WE ALL PAY FOR toyota care. Its included in the cost of the car, monthly payment etc. And its more frustrating that they can't seem to figure it out. But paying for a service that cannot be performed accurately is just dumb.

It's a new model that has its quirks. And being that there are so few of them, by the time you go back for your second oil change, there may be all new people there who also need to be educated. But it's just a fact of life. Do your due diligence to make sure they're up to speed on it, and then let them do their thing. I'm dumbfounded by all the people who are convinced they're going to have a problem before they've even set foot in the service department. Give them a chance for crying out loud.

It's a new model that has its quirks. And being that there are so few of them, by the time you go back for your second oil change, there may be all new people there who also need to be educated. But it's just a fact of life. Do your due diligence to make sure they're up to speed on it, and then let them do their thing I'm dumbfounded by all the people who are convinced they're going to have a problem, before they've even set foot in the service department. Give them a chance for crying out loud.
Lol I've been calling or emailing the service manager for almost a month now. Things I shouldn't be doing. Things big bad toyota corporate should be doing I already know you are an ex tech for them but that's where I'm at. Pay for service hope it works out. Im just venting about it being frustrating. I know that's a hard line to cross on a forum where you aren't allowed to do that. Could just go to the goofball FB group though and try there. Everyone is allowed to have expectations.....

It's a new model that has its quirks. And being that there are so few of them, by the time you go back for your second oil change, there may be all new people there who also need to be educated. But it's just a fact of life. Do your due diligence to make sure they're up to speed on it, and then let them do their thing. I'm dumbfounded by all the people who are convinced they're going to have a problem before they've even set foot in the service department. Give them a chance for crying out loud.
I'll talk to the service department of the nearby dealership, when the time comes for the 5k maintenance. It will take at least several months for me to reach that mileage. Hopefully, they will get things sorted out by then.

Can someone confirm the oil filter part number. I’m searching Toyota parts online website for 90915YZZf2 and get a “product no longer available” message. When I went to my local parts counter they tried to sell me a filter for a GR86 (SU003-08412). What am I missing here?

Can someone confirm the oil filter part number. I’m searching Toyota parts online website for 90915YZZf2 and get a “product no longer available” message. When I went to my local parts counter they tried to sell me a filter for a GR86 (SU003-08412). What am I missing here?
Per the first post on this thread the p/N is 90915-YZZN1. Post 63 has the crush washer as 90430-12031.

I know people almost came to blows over which oil to use, but I'm wondering if people have tried different oil viscosities at their 1K change. I'm at 700 miles and about to order a filter and oil just to be ready when I do hit 1K. I know 0w-20 is factory spec but some have talked about 5w-30 or other viscosities if you're gonna be driving the car like it's supposed to be driven. Without trying to start another World War, any thoughts from people before I buy supplies?

I know people almost came to blows over which oil to use, but I'm wondering if people have tried different oil viscosities at their 1K change. I'm at 700 miles and about to order a filter and oil just to be ready when I do hit 1K. I know 0w-20 is factory spec but some have talked about 5w-30 or other viscosities if you're gonna be driving the car like it's supposed to be driven. Without trying to start another World War, any thoughts from people before I buy supplies?
I think it depends on how you drive and if it's hot in your area. If you like to push the car and live in a hot area, I would consider 5w-30. Otherwise, I'd stick to the OEM spec. I haven't pushed mines too hard so I am not experiencing any oil overheating or the engine eating oil.

I think it depends on how you drive and if it's hot in your area. If you like to push the car and live in a hot area, I would consider 5w-30. Otherwise, I'd stick to the OEM spec. I haven't pushed mines too hard so I am not experiencing any oil overheating or the engine eating oil.
I plan on driving it hard occasionally and live in a colder climates, so I’m up in the air on which to use.

Looks like people are tending to just roll with spec until more tuners/shops run their tests and come out with some proven results. Feel free to do your own thing! It's only for like 4k miles. Switching later won't be a big deal.

So has anyone changed their transmission gear oil and rear diff oil yet? These are the oils I plan on using and I just need to double check that they are the correct ones for the transmission and rear diff.

1. Engine Oil - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w-20 I checked with Pennzoil directly and it meets all of the specifications.
2. Transmission - Redline MT-LV 70w/75w
3. Rear Diff - Redline 75w-85 but not sure if it should be the GL-4 or GL-5 version. Any ideas?

101 - 120 of 368 Posts