Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
81 - 100 of 161 Posts

·
Banned
171 Posts
I quite like it with the hybrids. Faster cars with the same sound as before. Will be really sad when it does go full EV so hopefully they could implement Hydrogen tech in a safe way
Or better yet, do as MotoGP is doing with synthetic fuels. No hybrid nothing, just a full switch to synthetic fuel in 2027.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
As of this year, they use what P1 Racing Fuel calls a "fossil-free hydrocarbon-based fuel, with a blend of synthetic and bio-fuel components" so they're close to full synthetic

·
Registered
222 Posts
Incredible final battle on the power stage! Absolutely mega run from the young driver. And props for Tanak for wise tire decisions, but I can't help but wonder why he wasn't as fast on the tire stage... Tanak's tire choice should've won him the power stage but was a fair amount slower than Kalle in practice.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
Incredible final battle on the power stage! Absolutely mega run from the young driver. And props for Tanak for wise tire decisions, but I can't help but wonder why he wasn't as fast on the tire stage... Tanak's tire choice should've won him the power stage but was a fair amount slower than Kalle in practice.
Maybe Tanak is getting rusty in his old age😂
In reality, I think Kalle is just that good at that young of an age with a great car. I haven't seen many issues with the Yaris Rally1 like I have with the i20 and Puma either so the GR WRT really has that car nailed down. Plus, over the past 3 years, he's shown tons of improvement and even last year became the youngest driver to win a rally and has now won Sweden and Croatia back-to-back.

Reactions: Ari Speed

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
To add onto what I said prior: before the season, a lot of the drivers were saying that whoever masters the hybrid reg/boost would take off so maybe Kalle is just really in tune with the new hybrid stuff and Tanak is still getting a hang of it

·
Registered
222 Posts
To add onto what I said prior: before the season, a lot of the drivers were saying that whoever masters the hybrid reg/boost would take off so maybe Kalle is just really in tune with the new hybrid stuff and Tanak is still getting a hang of it
This reminds me a lot of Tetris (or at least what little I know of it). There were some advanced Tetris techniques developed more recently that allowed players to move, rotate, or place tiles faster. However, the technique required muscle memory and dexterity that only younger people could learn, so the reigning Tetris champion was eventually overthrown by a 16-year old.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
What're we looking for this weekend in Portugal?
Loeb is back to rallying this time around so I expect a fight for 1st

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ah I was about to post about this!

This weekend seems STACKED. We have Loeb, Ogier, Sordo, and it's Portugal no less!! Wonderful weekend to celebrate 50 years of the WRC.

As a side note, I recently watched Queen of Speed, a documentary on Michelle Mouton. Absolutely wonderful biopic and Portugal is where Mouton celebrated her first WRC win!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Very curious to see how the hybrid systems hold up in this rally. I know people will be looking at the Sebastiens this weekend but I really wanna see if Kalle will perform. Many of the other drivers have had a lackluster start too, so they have something to prove as well. I suspect we'll see some really good battles this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Very curious to see how the hybrid systems hold up in this rally. I know people will be looking at the Sebastiens this weekend but I really wanna see if Kalle will perform. Many of the other drivers have had a lackluster start too, so they have something to prove as well. I suspect we'll see some really good battles this weekend.
Is it weird that I’ve been so interested in the new system more then who’s doing what? Lol

I feel like I’m watching a live lab experiment.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is it weird that I’ve been so interested in the new system more then who’s doing what? Lol

I feel like I’m watching a live lab experiment.
My prediction is that Kalle is doing so well because of the hybrid system. He (and by extension, Solberg) can probably pick up the mechanics of using the boost system better than their older peers.

81 - 100 of 161 Posts