Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
261 - 279 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sad that Rally2 has more manufacturers than Rally1.
I think it's great! That is exactly what Rally 2 is for, providing a cheap entry point for manufacturers to start rally programs. The 2022 Rally NZ field had R2 cars from VW, Audi, Skoda and Citroen as well as non factory supported Yaris (see below), Hyundai's and Fords. The more the merrier!

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,123 Posts
Just curious but do you guys think that a WRC car would out perform say a Porsche 911 GT3 or GT3RS?
My guess would be yes, lighter, awd.
You're comparing a full-blown race car to a track-ready production car that are both built for different purposes.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
447 Posts
Just curious but do you guys think that a WRC car would out perform say a Porsche 911 GT3 or GT3RS?
My guess would be yes, lighter, awd.
Some Porsche/GT3 cars do run at some tarmac rallies, but they're not competitive with today's purpose built rally cars.

If we take Rallye Monte Carlo for example:
You'll find that the top Rally1 cars finished 3:00:00-3:10:00 mark, whereas the fastest R-GT cars (I couldn't find any Porsches running in this year's Monte Carlo so we'll have to settle for the new Alpine A110) can manage 3:19:00 at the fastest, about 9 minutes slower than the slowest Rally1 car (not including retirements, mechanical trouble, etc).

It's honestly better than I expected (especially considering this rally is very icy). However, you'll (almost) never see an R-GT car at a gravel/mixed surface rally.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
447 Posts
Wouldn't the icy sections have made it closer, since there's a bunch of places where the Rally1 cars creep through if they aren't using studs?
Hmmm, I'm not sure. I thought that studs were available on the Rally1 cars? I was also under the impression that the RWD cars would be harder to control on ice than AWD or FWD cars.

In other news, Rally Japan seems like kind of a shitshow lol. Stages cancelled left and right, poor Sordo's fire, civilian cars wandering onto the stages?? It's entertaining at least, if a little harrowing 😬😬

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
423 Posts
They're available, but I think a lot of the teams don't use them on all the stages. There's at least a few times where you can see them absolutely crawling through the icy sections.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
447 Posts

What are we thinking the lineup for Hyundai/M-Sport will be next year?

H:
Neuville
Breen
Lappi/Sordo

M-Sport:
Loubet
Greensmith
Solberg?

I don't think Tanak will make it into next year, sadly :(

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Really happy for Taka, I think he deserves it. I doubt he'll be in contention for the driver's title, but I can see him becoming a steady and reliable source of points for the team! It looks like he'll be scoring points for the Next Gen team when Ogier is driving too?
That’s what I’m thinking. The consistency he brings is a good asset long term.

I’m sure his pops is proud.

261 - 279 of 279 Posts