Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering specifically why you are interested in buying a GR Corolla, when there are so many other cars on the market to choose from?
I'm interested because the GRC offers these specific traits:
  • hatchback design
  • moderately powerful engine at 300hp
  • all wheel drive
  • able to carry four passengers comfortably
  • Toyota quality and reliability
  • cool wide body rally car looks
  • offered with a manual transmission

What is your number one reason you would buy the GRC over the competition?
Mine would have to be the awd system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live at high altitude (8,300’), so I pretty much need a turbo. I live off a dirt road, and we can get some pretty big snows up here too so I need AWD.

I already have a Tacoma, so I would like something sporty and fun to drive. Also, it’d be nice to have a newer car with a warranty. Also, the car has to be reliable. Oh, and a manual is a must.

Honestly I’ll probably be looking at a 997 Carrera 4S if I don’t get an allocation this fall. Totally different car, I know. But that’s where I’m at right now, the GR or I’m getting an older 911.

·
Registered
204 Posts
-AWD. And not just any AWD, but one that's actually able to push power to the back tires without laying over.

- manual. Absolutely necessary for a daily.

-small car. Most cars these days are getting so fat, I can't stand it! I get it, crash tests, blah blah blah. Why can't we have a Dodge Omni sized car with 300hp stock these days??

- 300hp, while a downgrade from my current daily, will still be peppy enough for me to ride out the warranty period without going too crazy. Would absolutely be tuning it once that time comes and tuners actually get in-depth into cracking the ECM

-fair MPG. I could easily go buy an Audi and get 20mpg that would check the AWD and power boxes. But it sounds like the 3 cyl will get decent mpg

-assuming MSRP, the Base core is still in my budget. No other vehicles that check the boxes above fit that bill brand new.

I'm at the point in my life where I want to finally purchase a brand new car. One that doesn't have skeletons in the closet. A clean slate. This is the only car that fits the bill. Otherwise I'd be looking into that special edition golf R that they're making available in Manual, but damn that thing is expensive. It's unfortunate ive come to this conclusion and the GRC has come out in such a shitty market, though.

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
Because everyone else wants one so I decided to throw my hat in, be disappointed in the drive, then possibly flip it for a Z06. 😂

All jokes aside, I'm big on Toyota. Been following the project since Tetsuya Tada was talking about it back in 2018.

3 most meaningful Toyota's in my life are the AE86 Corolla, IS300/Altezza, and MR2. It just so happens the first all built Toyota in a long time is a fully realized Corolla product.

·
Registered
160 Posts
After seeing this car being revealed. I figured it would be a great replacement for my old Hatchback, a 2013 WRX hatch. The wrx was starting to cause me headaches, things were breaking, the interior was falling apart. Everything stopped working Radio, Bluetooth. So I cut my losses, and sold it for exactly what I wanted to get for it. And the fact that its an awd, turbo practical hatch from toyota. Literally fit my entire mindset of what another "fun car" would be.

The GR is my ticket to sanity, fun and excitement in an otherwise mundane state of my life right now. Just going through the motions and working, dealing with family etc. I miss being able to tear down a twisty back road in my wrx. And I felt like the GR would be able to bring me back to my passion for driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1) I’m a slut for Toyota and have huge respect for Toyota’s transformative effects on manufacturing and engineering practices across many industries (aerospace engineer myself)
2) decent powa
3) cutting edge AWD system in Michigan winters = gonna be a blast

·
Registered
82 Posts
The biggest reason is I want a fun car for canadian winters and I love the total package the grc has. Snow storms will have a whole new meaning to me after I get one. No one out on the roads besides snow plows, practice Scandinavian flicks through intersections, awd snow donuts. The simple fun

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The biggest reason is I want a fun car for canadian winters and I love the total package the grc has. Snow storms will have a whole new meaning to me after I get one. No one out on the roads besides snow plows, practice Scandinavian flicks through intersections, awd snow donuts. The simple fun
I'm with you, I really want the all-wheel drive system because I have a Veloster N now, really fun car don't get me wrong, however we've had rain here the past 2 days and I cannot get the power down, I have to feather the accelerator pedal I'm hoping in the GRC I can floor it and get full Traction in the wet.

·
Registered
2004 IS300
12 Posts
Started noticing the E210 hatch back in 2019 (specifically XSE with the optional wing) and really liked how it looked, to the point of almost pulling the trigger on one. Obviously knew about the GRY and wanted one, but wasn't going to happen. Stumbled upon rumors of the GRY drivetrain in the Corolla hatch and have been impatiently waiting ever since. Also a self-admitted Toyota fanboy (as I assume many here are) so that plays in to it as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
  • hatchback design
  • moderately powerful engine at 300hp
  • all wheel drive
  • able to carry four passengers comfortably
  • Toyota quality and reliability
  • cool wide body rally car looks
  • offered with a manual transmission
All of the above plus I'm just a Toyota elitest in general (Garage: ae86 x2, v8 T4r, Highlander Hybrid). I sold my IS300 Sportcross for this in anticipation of replacing it with an even more fun (manual!!!) Toyota hatchback.

Also, just the coolness of the G16E-GTS and the new AWD system. Super Toyota nerd-mode over here.

On top of that, I see this as a crowning moment for the Corolla name plate. The Corolla has been whatever Toyota wants it to be over different models through the years. Family hauler, econobox, sports car, IT DOES IT ALL!

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
All of the above plus I'm just a Toyota elitest in general (Garage: ae86 x2, v8 T4r, Highlander Hybrid).

Also, just the coolness of the G16E-GTS and the new AWD system. Super Toyota nerd-mode over here.

On top of that, I see this as a crowning moment for the Corolla name plate. The Corolla has been whatever Toyota wants it to be over different models through the years. Family hauler, econobox, sports car, IT DOES IT ALL!
G16E is already in the same legendary status as the 4AGE, BEAMS and so on for sure. Toyota definitely has the right recipe again.

·
Registered
2008 FJ 2020 RAV4 Hybrid 2017 Focus RS
588 Posts
Cause owning a RWD coupe in an area that gets a lot of snow is rough. High performance hatchbacks have always been enjoyable, and I'm leaning towards the GRC cause we love our other Toyota products. It'll be interesting to compare against the RS, which I view as the top tier hot hatch at the moment with its 350 hp and more dynamic AWD system.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm with you, I really want the all-wheel drive system because I have a Veloster N now, really fun car don't get me wrong, however we've had rain here the past 2 days and I cannot get the power down, I have to feather the accelerator pedal I'm hoping in the GRC I can floor it and get full Traction in the wet.
That's where I'm at. 340whp focus ST. It's pointless to floor it anytime the road is wet (which feels like constantly where I live) or I have my snow tires on. Makes all that power pointless.

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
357 Posts
I drove a Corolla xse hatchback manual and really liked it. I stopped short of buying one because the JBL and Nav were not offered on the manual hatch that year. So I bought an automatic for my wife. My thoughts were that if it only had 250-260 hp/t it would be really fun. Heard about the GR Corolla the same day after looking up performance Corollas and have been waiting for it since 2020.
my attraction to it is based on:
price
reliability
toyota sports car recipe
manual

the performance was less than I expected but it should still be fun.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In 33 years of driving (3 of that highly illegally), hatches are my favorite body style, specifically the 3 door hatch. Hatches have less rear overhang and are the ultimate chassis to me, and why WRC uses them over say a coupe, sedan, etc. And I’m talking for performance not Costco trips. The regular Corolla hatch is what I’d buy for a commuter car or DD.

My primary sport is motorcycling, sportbikes, full suit, ATGATT, lots of track time. Cars are 2nd. Having owned RWD powered cars for years I tried my first AWD variant in 2008 and was hooked on the all weather performance. RWD is settling to me no matter how much power it has so while many are RWD purists, well so am I but the 2 wheeled variety. When it’s time to pivot to a car I want all weather all the time capability. To the point I’ll run 3 sets of wheels to do it. Summer hipo street tires, winter tires/wheels, and track wheels/tires.

GRC because Japanese, light weight (compared to my previous STi [GR] and Focus RS), Toyota, diffs, and the ability to send 70% to the rear. And more GRC because of the G16 having aftermarket capability which is very high on the list. I don’t buy anything performance related to keep it stock, it’s bought to mod.

I would love say a N55/S55 powered 3 door “M” hatch from BMW, with AWD, 6MT, full diffs, but nobody makes anything like this. I mean it’s always been the EVO, STi, Golf R type class to get AWD, diffs, etc. After this class of car you have to jump up 100k to the C4S so there is no in between hipo variant in existence with a manual or I’d be paying, happily, 60k or whatever for that variant. If the R35 was offered in a 6MT it’d be in the garage and I would not be here. While I don’t like the size or weight of it, it has everything else I could dream of except the manual, which is a deal breaker.

I do not like loud cars, and I don’t mean noise. Ex. C8, Lambo, etc. I don’t like drawing attention because I will break the law out in the desolate twisty road areas and hatches generally just don’t draw any attention. I would however give this up for a super high performer like the R35 with a 6MT if it existed but the Golf R, GR STi, Focus RS, and now the GRC, I just dig the low vis design. Real enthusiasts know what they are but the general public does not. It’s a sleeper and I’m fond of sleepers as I’m out to impress nobody but myself. Not interested in the opinions of strangers.

WRC. The GRY is my holy grail and the car of my entire buying life that fits best what I would want in a performance automobile for cornering in canyons, as well as track. It is what I really want, so I’m settling for the GRC because I want the GRY and still pretty sore it was not offered in the USDM. Toyota is lucky to be getting my money at this stage after they teased the GRY here as I phoned them, emailed, etc after they teased it on Twatter, and signed the online petition to bring it here.

·
Registered
Tundra, Honda Fit, NB2 Miata Exocet project
51 Posts
I live at 6,000 feet, I go snowboarding about 20 days each winter with a 2 hour commute each way on snowy roads, I prefer stickshift, and I want something fun that I can daily. I think that pretty well sums it up.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would really like to see more competition from other manufacturers in the hott(300+hp), hatchback, awd, manual transmission category.
For instance......
i30N awd manual hatch.
Type-R awd, manual hatch.
Mazda 3 awd, manual hatch.
Unfortunately none of these will come to fruition.

Sadly, the GRC may be the last ice, awd, manual, hott(300+hp), hatchback for sale.
After this, all EV's or heavy hybrids, not my cup of tea.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.