Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mustang GT, 2010 Nissan Versa Hatchback
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about aftermarket tuning and basic bolt ons when I realized I don't know any major tuners that support Toyota cars and I think that has to do with how few performance cars Toyota has made in the last 20 years.

I followed the 86 closely from launch but most of the big performance is from adding boost through various turbo/supercharger companies. And the supra is just a BMW so the market already existed for that.

Anyone have any guesses on which US companies will jump on the GRC aftermarket scene? GReddy? Cobb?

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
I was just thinking about aftermarket tuning and basic bolt ons when I realized I don't know any major tuners that support Toyota cars and I think that has to do with how few performance cars Toyota has made in the last 20 years.

I followed the 86 closely from launch but most of the big performance is from adding boost through various turbo/supercharger companies. And the supra is just a BMW so the market already existed for that.

Anyone have any guesses on which US companies will jump on the GRC aftermarket scene? GReddy? Cobb?
Greddy definitely will, Cobb I doubt.

I’m looking forward to the Japanese aftermarket companies for the most part anyways since HKS will probably have parts out sooner due to the Yaris

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of the big hurdles is that the GR Yaris which is basically the same drivetrain and motor is that the ECU has yet to be "opened up" for tuning. All of the EU tuners and others (think there are 2x 10 second GR Yaris cars in the world, one in UK and the other in the UAE) are using piggyback ECU's, which means tuning this like a Cobb AP with flash tunes unless Yota smiles upon us is a big question mark.

That being said the GR Yaris, despite having less power but being lighter then the soon to be released Corolla, has been doing some impressive lap times with suspension, brakes, and weight reductions around the Ring in Germany.

·
Super Moderator
718 Posts
One of the big hurdles is that the GR Yaris which is basically the same drivetrain and motor is that the ECU has yet to be "opened up" for tuning. All of the EU tuners and others (think there are 2x 10 second GR Yaris cars in the world, one in UK and the other in the UAE) are using piggyback ECU's, which means tuning this like a Cobb AP with flash tunes unless Yota smiles upon us is a big question mark.

That being said the GR Yaris, despite having less power but being lighter then the soon to be released Corolla, has been doing some impressive lap times with suspension, brakes, and weight reductions around the Ring in Germany.
Some good news a couple months ago on that front:

Here's hoping the GRC is using the same ECU, or one that's similar enough to make the crack far easier.

As for the OP, no manufacturer that I'm aware of has promised support for the GRC yet, but I'd expect most of the JDM aftermarket companies to pitch in at some point.

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
351 Posts
I'm guessing a lot of support will come from smaller companies too. Most of the vehicles I've owned have had a few things available from the big brands and then a bunch of stuff from companies you wouldn't hear of unless you drove one of the handful of models they make parts for.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
360 Posts
Some good news a couple months ago on that front:

Here's hoping the GRC is using the same ECU, or one that's similar enough to make the crack far easier.

As for the OP, no manufacturer that I'm aware of has promised support for the GRC yet, but I'd expect most of the JDM aftermarket companies to pitch in at some point.
I would almost argue that it's bad timing for the GRY ECU to be cracked now, since this gives Toyota/Denso time to patch the vulnerability in the ECU before the GRC launch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
That would be perfect because a jb4 or jb+ option would be great!
That's kind of what I'm hoping for, were I to tune the car. I had Hondata on my previous car, but it always made trips to the dealership a little iffy. I just want something easily removable if I need to take it in for warranty work. Assuming I'll actually mod the tune for it. Part of the reason I want to get this car is so I won't feel the need to chase power like in my previous cars.

Quick, someone get the Nintendo Switch jailbreakers on this!!
Get them a GR Corolla and they'll have it done in like 2 months!

·
Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
104 Posts
I bet Cobb gets in on it. They typically jump into anything sport compact, even if it will be their first Toyota.

I’m planning on getting my company involved (FactionFab). We mostly do suspension, brakes, and exhaust for Subarus and the 86.

That said, I’m personally planning to stick to tune-less mods with my car. EPA crackdown is coming hard, and I don’t want to give them any more ammunition until I can do it legally.

·
Registered
98 Posts

That said, I’m personally planning to stick to tune-less mods with my car. EPA crackdown is coming hard, and I don’t want to give them any more ammunition until I can do it legally.
It's easy money for them right now, head hunting all these shops. Once EVs are the majority of vehicles on the road, the EPA will have to hunt for other sitting ducks to prey on. I feel like whenever this happens, the focus will turn away from us and we can resume doing with our property as we see fit.

·
Super Moderator
824 Posts
^ that's what I had been thinking as well. Maybe we'll get lucky and chip shortages mean it's too late for them to change it.

Or potentially the early ones will be crackable and later ones won't be.
who knows? oh well.. shortage is killing the car industry..

side note, every time I see your profile pic, I want to clean your car, it's kinda irritates me ahahahaha

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
351 Posts
Oh come on, it's not that dirty.

I was at the self wash so long the machine timed out twice and I still didn't get it all off. I ended up just buying a pressure washer for next time because it was only twice the price of that trip to the car wash haha.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts