Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
541 - 560 of 584 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
If you are not willing to pay for Premium grade then you can pretty much rule out buying any turbo/supercharged car as pretty much anything forced induction requires premium.
There's actually quite a lot of modern turbo cars that run 87 but for performance, they're usually Premium

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
We don't know gas mileage for sure. The GRY Yaris gets 36 mpg, but imperial and metric gallons are different and the GRC and heavier and tuned for more power. That 36mpg translates to about 28mpg, so we're looking at (at a guess) 25ish mpg.

Reactions: Jeonsa

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
257 Posts
Really? I don't think ive seen any. Unless they can adjust and pull lots of timing, which ends in worse mpg and significant power loss anyway.
The Equinox I had for a couple days was turbocharged, took 87, and had fine fuel economy and power up mountain passes. I was actually pretty impressed with the drivetrain in it. The rest was crap though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Gas mileage and type of gas. I use regular and it would suck if I need to use "plus or premium" whatever the middle grade is.
You must not have done the research to know that turbo high performance engines and/or high compression (which I believe the G16 is both) will always require premium for optional performance.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
I think the FA24 turbo in rhe Subaru Ascent takes 87 as well, not sure about the version of the FA24 in the new WRX.
91 is reccommended but it can run on less.

Really? I don't think ive seen any. Unless they can adjust and pull lots of timing, which ends in worse mpg and significant power loss anyway.
Basically all of the Chevy turbos, Subaru Ascent, previous gen Civic Si, Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, Ford's 3.5L ecoboost, Mustang Ecoboost, and those are just ones I know without looking it up. Sure a lot of cars will retard timing to run on the lower grades and will lower MPG but it can come out even or better at times. My FJ can run on either but I only get slightly better by running 93 over 87

·
Registered
138 Posts
91 is reccommended but it can run on less.

Basically all of the Chevy turbos, Subaru Ascent, previous gen Civic Si, Hyundai Sonata 2.0T, Ford's 3.5L ecoboost, Mustang Ecoboost, and those are just ones I know without looking it up. Sure a lot of cars will retard timing to run on the lower grades and will lower MPG but it can come out even or better at times. My FJ can run on either but I only get slightly better by running 93 over 87
Maybe its more significant for me at altitude but with the 4runner before it was supercharged, on 85 in the mountains i got 15mpg and it was a dog. on 91 closer to 18mpg. Supercharged now it will take ONLY premium for obvious reasons.

541 - 560 of 584 Posts