Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the free track day at barber Motorsport. It’s in Birmingham, Al in July. Going to be hot and humid. Hopefully have some diff cooling by then. Going to change brake fluid over to something better. Not sure if I’m going to be running race tires by then. Changing oil before and then all fluids after. Anything else?

· Registered
287 Posts
You probably already know this, but switch to thicker oil, at least 5W30. Castrol SRF brake fluid is worth it to not have to bleed all year. 200TW tires are nice, but not necessary to have a good time. Stock PS4's lower limits will be easier to learn car control on.

Don't eat anything that might upset your stomach the night before, use sunscreen, and most importantly, have fun!

· Registered
173 Posts
High temp brake fluid and thicker oil are bare minimum. Maybe heat wrap the exhaust pipe that is close to the clutch pack and rear diff. Parts for the brake duct cooling aren't readily available yet and neither are aftermarket intercoolers or oil coolers. 30/70 will overheat the rear diff in extended sessions, but it's not the fastest way around a track for this car anyway. 50/50 is where it's at. If I wanted a RWD car, I would have bought a RWD car.

· Registered
258 Posts
Are you an experienced track driver? If so you may want to swap your OEM pads for something track specific. High temp brake fluid won't do much good if your OEM pads are disintegrating from track conditions.

Also Barber is in a bit of a geographic depression and has lots of ups and downs. Some people are prone to nausea from the motion and/or vehicle exhaust fumes. Exhaust fumes shouldn't be an issue (more of a problem with race cars that have open exhaust systems) but I thought it was worth mentioning (I've raced there a few times).

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you an experienced track driver? If so you may want to swap your OEM pads for something track specific. High temp brake fluid won't do much good if your OEM pads are disintegrating from track conditions.

Also Barber is in a bit of a geographic depression and has lots of ups and downs. Some people are prone to nausea from the motion and/or vehicle exhaust fumes. Exhaust fumes shouldn't be an issue (more of a problem with race cars that have open exhaust systems) but I thought it was worth mentioning (I've raced there a few times).
It’s not my first time at barbers but thanks for tip. I’ve heard the stock pads do pretty good, but brake temps are an issue. Plus I was going to put higher temp fluid anyway

· Registered
866 Posts

Only done Barber once, and it was 2 wheels. All of the things you mentioned were awesome! If it wasn’t so far I’d go back again. Nothing like the smell of race gas in the pits either. Some of us like the smell!

· Registered
83 Posts
You probably already know this, but switch to thicker oil, at least 5W30. Castrol SRF brake fluid is worth it to not have to bleed all year. 200TW tires are nice, but not necessary to have a good time. Stock PS4's lower limits will be easier to learn car control on.

Don't eat anything that might upset your stomach the night before, use sunscreen, and most importantly, have fun!
I wouldn't change the oil type, but fix the oil temps instead.

· Registered
5 Posts
Barber is a super fun track, I have quite a few laps there over the years. As mentioned, upgrade brake fluid, prob check into some better pads. Having not received mine yet I am not sure but does the car have automatic parking brake application? With 1 of our Toyota track cars the auto parking brake would apply after a session of putting the car in park and it would just melt rear pads. We had to circle around after a session to try and cool them but finally had to get creative with that solution. spot check camber before you go to see where you are at and scale the car if you have the ability or means before going. Have spare pads, spare brake fluid as cya. tire pressure gauge. If not pushing the car to extreme level, have fun.

Check on insurance for track day coverage as safety net? We had a member take his porsche to a track day and was in a hurry and didn't call about it. Ended up with a writeoff. Accidents can always happen at a track and barber has a few spots.

They changed the dress color on the lady hanging from the overpass so it isn't yellow now. Was confusing some people about it being a caution flag. lol.

· Registered
5 Posts
eat a light breakfast. i heard some tracks only have steaming hot portapotties
Barber is one of the exceptions....it is a museum quality track with artwork hidden everywhere. fyi...there is now a Buc-ee's open at the exit of the interstate so they have it all. easy to run out for fuel and not pay those track pump prices.

Plan a few extra hours if you can to visit the museum if you haven't been to it. It is unbelievable.

· Registered
381 Posts
Having not received mine yet I am not sure but does the car have automatic parking brake application?
Manual hand-operated parking brake between the seats.

spot check camber before you go to see where you are at and scale the car if you have the ability or means before going.
What’s the reason for these suggestions? Just curious.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Barber is one of the exceptions....it is a museum quality track with artwork hidden everywhere. fyi...there is now a Buc-ee's open at the exit of the interstate so they have it all. easy to run out for fuel and not pay those track pump prices.

Plan a few extra hours if you can to visit the museum if you haven't been to it. It is unbelievable.
Yeah barbers is super nice and most of time at track days there you are allowed almost everywhere. My scca region does it’s autocross on their proving ground area and occasionally rent out the museum for year end trophy presentation

· Registered
5 Posts
Manual hand-operated parking brake between the seats.

What’s the reason for these suggestions? Just curious.
check to see your starting point and know what the camber is. After a good track day, you can study your tire wear and see how the tires are wearing from inside to out. Some cars like lots of neg camber but it comes with a price of wearing tires. You can see if they are wearing even or if uneven wear. Barber is a mostly RH turns. If you have tire pyrometer or access to one, have someone check across your tires after a session and it will tell you if your tire pressure is correct or need to adjust for optimum contact patch. Ask around to see if your friends have one to borrow if you don't have one.

Sometimes there is a company at the track that helps with that type setup/checks. They might have one you can rent for the day pretty cheap. Great tool for optimizing tire pressures to get the most grip.

Is the track day an SCCA type scenario where part of the deal you have instructors just with the GR group or just a general track day such as MVP or 10tenths?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
check to see your starting point and know what the camber is. After a good track day, you can study your tire wear and see how the tires are wearing from inside to out. Some cars like lots of neg camber but it comes with a price of wearing tires. You can see if they are wearing even or if uneven wear. Barber is a mostly RH turns. If you have tire pyrometer or access to one, have someone check across your tires after a session and it will tell you if your tire pressure is correct or need to adjust for optimum contact patch. Ask around to see if your friends have one to borrow if you don't have one.

Sometimes there is a company at the track that helps with that type setup/checks. They might have one you can rent for the day pretty cheap. Great tool for optimizing tire pressures to get the most grip.

Is the track day an SCCA type scenario where part of the deal you have instructors just with the GR group or just a general track day such as MVP or 10tenths?
It’s a NASA track day and the camber isn’t adjustable without crash bolts at moment

· Registered
258 Posts
You need A LOT of negative camber to affect tire wear. Like 4-5 negative degrees or more. Concerns about inner tire wear from camber are overblown and/or urban myth-like.

Definitely get track insurance.

I also visit that Buc-ees every time I'm down there, haha.

· Registered
307 Posts

i'm monitoring oil pressures with the factory oil and there's plenty of pressure for casual driving. curious to see what oil pressures people are seeing during track situations.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts