Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The news.com article says that Toyota Australia will be asking dealerships to qualify each customer and that they want these cars to go to enthusiasts. This is great news for those near the top of a dealership wait list, the possibility of an online allocation has had me worried.

With all of the reviews being released over the last couple of days has me hyped up all over again. We are looking at waiting another 4-6 months to see them in Australia however.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just saw your post to register interest through toyota. I wonder what this means for allocations..
I expect some dealers (like mine) are already holding deposits for an ‘yet to be advised GR Corolla’ and that may influence allocations but who knows, it’s all guess work at this point..

My dealer called me Friday afternoon but had nothing new to tell me other than they will hear about allocations/specs etc. “soon”

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just curious why you gents would opt for the inferior car in terms of outright performance, when you have access to the GR Yaris?
Personally, I would easily take the GR Yaris over the Corolla any day of the week, as I prefer smaller, nimble, lightweight cars, also the Yaris has proven itself to be an amazing car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah basically that. Practicality is very important and this car (extra 200kg or not) will be everything I need it to be.

Also Emkay yeah I'm under a deposit with my dealership also, they haven't had any info for me that I haven't already seen online so far.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just curious why you gents would opt for the inferior car in terms of outright performance, when you have access to the GR Yaris?
Personally, I would easily take the GR Yaris over the Corolla any day of the week, as I prefer smaller, nimble, lightweight cars, also the Yaris has proven itself to be an amazing car.
Here in NZ the GR Yaris hasn't been available since late last year when a batch of 100 went on sale which rapidly sold out. The GRY is still on the Toyota NZ website so there could be more at some point (maybe an evo version?) but speaking to a dealer a few weeks ago, he didn't think we would see any more. He could be right given the factory will be busy producing the GRC for the US from about now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I expect some dealers (like mine) are already holding deposits for an ‘yet to be advised GR Corolla’ and that may influence allocations but who knows, it’s all guess work at this point..

My dealer called me Friday afternoon but had nothing new to tell me other than they will hear about allocations/specs etc. “soon”
Like you I have also put my deposit down (months ago) but still haven't got any updates from the dealer. I just filled in the register interest form as well just in case

·
Registered
124 Posts
It may be the slightly inferior car performance wise but I think it's a better car overall and more usable on public roads. Apart from it's performance the GRY doesn't have much else going for it imo. It is not a good looking car by any means and as many have said the seating position is too high, the visibility particularly out the windscreen is terrible it has A LOT of road noise, non-existent exhaust sound, the tech is 10 years out of date and it's bloody expensive for what you get. As a track car it would be awesome but it has serious shortcomings as a regular street car. And given the amount of GRYs that are for sale second-hand for such a limited production car I think some early adopters have come to the same conclusion.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also if you weren't right on it at the release of the GRY, the waiting list is massive. Not sure about Aus, but NZ has only had I believe 150-200 total, and there are people who ordered in 2020 who are still don't have the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also if you weren't right on it at the release of the GRY, the waiting list is massive. Not sure about Aus, but NZ has only had I believe 150-200 total, and there are people who ordered in 2020 who are still don't have the car.
There are 201 in NZ according to data from the government.

171 direct from Japan presumably these are the official Toyota NZ cars
22 previously registered in Japan
7 previously Australia
1 previously UK

If these figures are correct then they suggest that Toyota NZ is still delivering cars or they didn't sell all of the second 100 car run.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are 201 in NZ according to data from the government.

171 direct from Japan presumably these are the official Toyota NZ cars
22 previously registered in Japan
7 previously Australia
1 previously UK

If these figures are correct then they suggest that Toyota NZ is still delivering cars or they didn't sell all of the second 100 car run.
I'm 99% sure they're just still delivering the second run. A dealer I talked to recently said he's still delivering them. Also if they didn't sell, then why can't I buy one 😭

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm 99% sure they're just still delivering the second run. A dealer I talked to recently said he's still delivering them. Also if they didn't sell, then why can't I buy one 😭
Order book closed but yes they could still be delivering... however the last one straight from Japan was a black car in July and that was the only one in July. There were 5 in June.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have GR Corolla and MORISO on retention MORIZO was already taken, I also have YAR15 GR for my new Yaris so I think the dealership knows I am an enthusiast! First in Perth for the pre-indication of internet list. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts