Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had some time today after my post processing of the scan data to get one of these ideas out and rendered on Solidworks. More than likely aftermarket exhausts will not be using all 3 outlets so rather than having that opening either in the center or on the outsides this addresses that.

This is JUST the passenger side block off. I will be doing both the center and the drivers side. Since It is not super visible in my renders, there are 2 OEM clips that I have integrated into this to mount on the lower portion and the top inside section would be held in place with a single self tapping screw that is completely hidden. There will be a small foam piece that goes around the outside of the area that is fitting into the exhaust cutout and im leaning towards 3D printing them and sanding and painting.
Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive tire Vehicle Rim

Automotive lighting Rectangle Bumper Font Automotive exterior

Hat Slope Font Art Cap

I will be getting a sample made asap and as soon as my car arrives I will be able to get some test fitting done.

Here is a render of the center block off. I am still working on it but this one will probably not be recessed since it does not have the same design in the diffuser. My gut tells me this will be the more widely used one when it comes to aftermarket exhausts being designed.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Automotive exterior Rim

updated latest post with fitment!
Teaser though 馃槈
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

- Colton

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right!

I wonder if you can sell to other companies (like exhaust companies) as well as the general consumer? Wonder if anyone would pick these up to sell with their systems.
That I鈥檓 not sure about. I know the guy who started the block off plates for the supra and he had one of the more well-known vendors ask to purchase a bunch of them and then they decided to renig and try to just do one single exhaust cover, which heavily implies they were trying to just rip off his idea.

Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
If he has them ready to go and distribution all set early, then id say a great chance. Unless the other companies already got something going, id see them going with yours if youre already ready, saves them all the development costs.

Registered
First, thanks in advance for sharing your concept for everyone to provide feedback. I like the simplicity of a sheet metal part. Not sure if flush-fit or recessed (that follows the surface opposite the strake) would look better. As I know all lower valences have a gloss black finish so recessed part that is color-matched makes it a simple part. Perhaps the bend radius should match the existing part radius?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First, thanks in advance for sharing your concept for everyone to provide feedback. I like the simplicity of a sheet metal part. Not sure if flush-fit or recessed (that follows the surface opposite the strake) would look better. As I know all lower valences have a gloss black finish so recessed part that is color-matched makes it a simple part. Perhaps the bend radius should match the existing part radius?
I am still potentially on the fence about just 3d printing these for the cost aspect and then sanding them and painting them. I can keep messing with the bend radius however it is pretty close to about the same. It is not so much recessed as much as flush since I don't want it to be inboard of the rest of the diffuser and throw off the lines. The harder part is the exhaust cutout is coinciding with the diffuser fin which makes it a little less smooth vs the way it was on the supra where it was in between fins.
Tire Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's my clarification sketch where bend radius matches valence and surface angle is parallel to OE. Recessing hides the edge-fitment and color-match error. This assumes a top-quality exhaust (with active-valve) is offered in the market..
View attachment 5217
In retrospect, I know exactly what you mean. I was talking to the guy who started golden wrench and he sent me a photo as a reference and it鈥檚 going to need some tweaking in regard to the receding or inboard pushing of the cover but yeah I see what you mean.

Registered
In retrospect, I know exactly what you mean. I was talking to the guy who started golden wrench and he sent me a photo as a reference and it鈥檚 going to need some tweaking in regard to the receding or inboard pushing of the cover but yeah I see what you mean.
Offset surfaces work well here if you can tie it into the existing styling. Mechanical attachment can be 3M VHB since this is low mass part. I prefer to hand sketch then build a physical mockup since that's how it was done before CAD. Perhaps you can build something and share photographs when you get your GRC..

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Offset surfaces work well here if you can tie it into the existing styling. Mechanical attachment can be 3M VHB since this is low mass part. I prefer to hand sketch then build a physical mockup since that's how it was done before CAD. Perhaps you can build something and share photographs when you get your GRC..
That鈥檚 the plan I鈥檓 shooting to probably 3-D print some thing and do all the test fitting well before I would ever put it up for sale or anything like that I want to make sure it鈥檚 a solid piece. I normally do hand sketches first also.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only printed one side for test fit, currently drying because I sprayed it flat black for testing as soon as I get the car. Will update with painted pics once it鈥檚 dry
Light Tire Tread Automotive tire Wood

1 - 20 of 32 Posts