Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Volkswagen GTI
53 Posts
I think a detail that people are missing out on is the BRZ and the GR86 are collaboration cars. Warranty can be a little bit dicey when you have the bureaucracy of ringing through two companies. The GR Corolla was designed on the track, for the track, and then with added creature comforts for daily driving, hence the Morizo Edition. It would be super contradictory for Toyota to release a stripped-down version of their car and then not offer support for it at all. And since the Morizo is essentially GRC with less weight and more torque, I'd imagine they'd honour that for everyone. I haven't heard any stories like these coming from the GRY or the GRS because Toyota and BMW are willing to be on the side of track use. I probably blame this on Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,003 Posts
I think a detail that people are missing out on is the BRZ and the GR86 are collaboration cars. Warranty can be a little bit dicey when you have the bureaucracy of ringing through two companies. The GR Corolla was designed on the track, for the track, and then with added creature comforts for daily driving, hence the Morizo Edition. It would be super contradictory for Toyota to release a stripped-down version of their car and then not offer support for it at all. And since the Morizo is essentially GRC with less weight and more torque, I'd imagine they'd honour that for everyone. I haven't heard any stories like these coming from the GRY or the GRS because Toyota and BMW are willing to be on the side of track use. I probably blame this on Subaru.
That’s the dicey thing about collabs, but the GRC is already predicted to have issues of its own regarding the AWD overheating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Most relevant part to those of us interested in tracking/autocrossing our GR Corollas:

"Based on his conversation with a Toyota representative, Alvarado expects to be able to use the vehicle at future autocross and track day events without putting his warranty in jeopardy. In addition to that, Alvarado told me he "believes that based on the [attention]... it would be fairly natural to think that some changes to the [warranty] process might occur in the near future, especially in regards to cars within the GR brand."

We've reached out to Toyota in an attempt to clarify if any changes to the performance-focused vehicles' warranties are changing. We haven't yet heard back. As mentioned in our previous post, Toyota handles its performance car warranties abroad differently. The warranty on the GR Yaris sold overseas, for instance, explicitly notes that damage caused by defects at an autocross or track day event will be covered. Toyota in North America doesn't offer the same."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay, now we're talking!

"Regarding the 2022 GR86 issue in question, the Toyota Gazoo Racing brand is driven by enthusiasts and focused on delivering incredible experiences wherever the driver may take their vehicles, including the closed-course settings for which their vehicles are designed, so long as they are driven in a manner that falls within the terms of the warranty.

While the vehicle’s warranty excludes damage that results from activities such as misuse and racing, simply participating in National Auto Sport Association (NASA) High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) or similar NASA instructional events provided complimentary to GR owners would not, in and of itself, void the warranty."

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
300 Posts
Okay, now we're talking!

"Regarding the 2022 GR86 issue in question, the Toyota Gazoo Racing brand is driven by enthusiasts and focused on delivering incredible experiences wherever the driver may take their vehicles, including the closed-course settings for which their vehicles are designed, so long as they are driven in a manner that falls within the terms of the warranty.

While the vehicle’s warranty excludes damage that results from activities such as misuse and racing, simply participating in National Auto Sport Association (NASA) High Performance Driving Events (HPDE) or similar NASA instructional events provided complimentary to GR owners would not, in and of itself, void the warranty."

Well done Toyota. Or GR division tbh

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
510 Posts
Good that Toyota clarified. So it sounds like it wont be a blanked denial of warranty just because you went to a hpde. Sounds like itll be case by case, you might still end up having to elevate cases to corporate if dealer denies. Remains to be seen how liberal they are with it.

·
Super Moderator
126 Posts
Y'all worrying about warranty claims, but I'm worried about how many FA24s have RTV stuck in the oil pickup. Subaru isn't exactly known for their tremendous manufacturing quality, and this wouldn't be the first time that Subaru's "RTV All The Things" playbook has caused engines to blow up. It's likely that it's something that just affects a small batch of engines, but in the end, a manufacturing mistake like this is still a big deal if gone unchecked. A few people have already dropped their pans on perfectly good engines and saw chunks of sealant jammed in the pickup. Those are one bump away from blocking a gallery and toasting a rod bearing.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts