Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

Super Moderator
Lowest form?? 馃ぃ apparently you've never done a proper autocross. In an average autocross run you have 40 or more braking and turning events in a run of 60-90 seconds. On a track you have 10-20 in 2-3 minutes per lap. Just because the average speed is lower, doesn't make it less. Autocross will teach you car control far better than anything else.

*I do both Autocross and Track driving.
Autocross is the most fun you can have at 50mph or less. ;)

Yeah, I learned a helluva lot more about actually handling my car at autocross and the performance driving school our autocross does that I have anywhere else.

Registered
Lowest form?? 馃ぃ apparently you've never done a proper autocross. In an average autocross run you have 40 or more braking and turning events in a run of 60-90 seconds. On a track you have 10-20 in 2-3 minutes per lap. Just because the average speed is lower, doesn't make it less. Autocross will teach you car control far better than anything else.

I love autocross. I meant lowest level, as in like entry-level motorsports. I did not intend it as an insult to autocross. It should be the least damaging to a car, one minute runs shouldn't cause oil starvation and engine destruction. If the car can't handle the bottom level of motorsports, it isn't a sports car imo.

Registered
2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition

I have zero desire to do autocross anymore. My local region ends up with 40-50 second run times with 8 runs total. They set it up in such a way that you end up there for 8 hrs to run a grand total of 6 minutes. It isn't that easy on consumables.

Registered
As they should. You abuse the car, repairs are on you. Autocross and track driving are one thing, drifting is quite another. Drifting puts a lot more strain on the car. Always close to the rev limit, sideways strain on suspension, axles, you name it. Possible oil starvation from prolonged lateral movements, limited airflow through the radiator because you're going sideways rather than forwards, and so on.

Super Moderator
As they should. You abuse the car, repairs are on you. Autocross and track driving are one thing, drifting is quite another. Drifting puts a lot more strain on the car. Always close to the rev limit, sideways strain on suspension, axles, you name it. Possible oil starvation from prolonged lateral movements, limited airflow through the radiator because you're going sideways rather than forwards, and so on.
The engine failure was from sealant getting stuck in the oil pickup, starving the engine. There's another article of Toyota looking into it now because more people experienced similar issues. He just had a rough experience because he was caught driving "hard." That article only shares a small portion of the story I believe.

It was actually a issue that came up here and there on the old cars as well.

Registered
The engine failure was from sealant getting stuck in the oil pickup, starving the engine. There's another article of Toyota looking into it now because more people experienced similar issues. He just had a rough experience because he was caught driving "hard." That article only shares a small portion of the story I believe.

It was actually a issue that came up here and there on the old cars as well.
That's the chance you take. Road cars aren't made for racing. That's why there's race cars. That's why there's paragraphs outlining what is allowed and what isn't in your warranty. It sucks for the person, but that's just how it is. It's called "pay to play" for a reason.

Super Moderator
That's the chance you take. Road cars aren't made for racing. That's why there's race cars. That's why there's paragraphs outlining what is allowed and what isn't in your warranty. It sucks for the person, but that's just how it is. It's called "pay to play" for a reason.
That鈥檚 not what I鈥檓 saying.

What I鈥檓 saying is he got caught yes, but it鈥檚 blowing up around all types of media because it鈥檚 a issue that needed to be fixed for a long time. Lol.

Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
Yeah. Really the issue is that they didn't investigate in depth what caused the failure. If they had, they would've understood it was unrelated to autocross.

However, it still doesn't surprise me that a manufacturer would look for an out like that. It's no different than insurance companies trying to save a buck. Doesn't make it right though.

I think it's smart to hide your plates and VINs at events. Probably don't post any pictures until after warranty too.

Registered
So in the other thread, GRC fanboys wanted to pay nearly double to get exclusivity over vapebros. Here, you have that manufacturer ruining their brand over autocross events and declining warranty. Recall the day GRC was revealed, the marketing VP noted that owners will get free track days etc etc. They鈥檙e literally selling you a track car and then voiding warranty which is misleading.

BMW M3 was one of the first few cars that a manufacturer said is a daily and track car. I wonder if you find these stories there - other than brakes they engineer those things better.

Super Moderator
So in the other thread, GRC fanboys wanted to pay nearly double to get exclusivity over vapebros. Here, you have that manufacturer ruining their brand over autocross events and declining warranty. Recall the day GRC was revealed, the marketing VP noted that owners will get free track days etc etc. They鈥檙e literally selling you a track car and then voiding warranty which is misleading.

BMW M3 was one of the first few cars that a manufacturer said is a daily and track car. I wonder if you find these stories there - other than brakes they engineer those things better.
The whole keeping the car out of 鈥渧apebros鈥 (they meant young enthusiast crowd) and paying adm are 2 separate conversations you tried to link together. They have absolutely nothing to do with this topic.

This thread and issue is about a Subaru manufacturing defect and how it finally became big after someone was using their car in a spirited way.

Since this has so many variables, people are hoping this doesn鈥檛 lead to similar outcomes with the GRC.

Registered
Personally I think that Toyota shouldn't warranty this guy's car. If you were to track a car that means you will be altering things about the car which voids warranty at all costs. Just because someone says it's a track car doesn't mean it's a track car. Even Ferrari and Lamborghini have such rules set in place. Anyone here ever here of built not bought? Well this guy's looks like he bought a GR86 to track instead of building a track car

Registered
Personally I think that Toyota shouldn't warranty this guy's car. If you were to track a car that means you will be altering things about the car which voids warranty at all costs. Just because someone says it's a track car doesn't mean it's a track car. Even Ferrari and Lamborghini have such rules set in place. Anyone here ever here of built not bought? Well this guy's looks like he bought a GR86 to track instead of building a track car
Nah you couldn鈥檛 be more wrong. And you need to prove the activity caused the failure before denying warranty coverage.
And you don鈥檛 need to 鈥渁lter鈥 anything to drive on track. If you wanted you could bring a minivan on track.
Or does your warranty say 鈥渆xtended acceleration鈥 can void warranties. If it does, define 鈥渆xtended acceleration鈥 does an on-ramp count?
And yes if you advertise a vehicle as 鈥渢rack capable鈥 then it is foreseeable they a consumer may desire to purchase and utilize your track capable vehicle.

Registered
Concerning.

Mazda has no issue with autocross FYI - the ND Miata has a weak transmission and has replaced MANY without issue, one guy got at least 3 replaced on his prepped car. Mine was replaced without question as well.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts