Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

It looks like we're getting some confirmations between The Drive and Motor Trend on what the GR Corolla will come with when its revealed.

According to their reporting the GR Corolla will have:
  • Manual transmission
  • Factory widebody
  • Three-tip exhaust setup
  • GR Yaris AWD
  • GR Yaris' 1.6L engine
Some of this we've expected for a while but it's nice to get some confirmation as we get closer to a reveal.

A Toyota Corolla hot hatchback is coming, that much is clear. Toyota has been teasing the car for months, and years of leaks have given us a good idea of its mechanical makeup. Think the GR Yaris' turbo-three, all-wheel drive, and so on. Now, some of these details have been confirmed to The Drive by a source within Toyota's dealer network, who says the GR Corolla will definitely have a manual transmission, a factory widebody, and possibly even an unusual, three-tip exhaust setup.

This source informed me that some Toyota dealers have already seen a prototype, which was apparently on display at a private preview event in Las Vegas late last year. The prototype is said to have been camouflaged, potentially making it the one Toyota showed us in October. This car was apparently more or less as the rumors have described, with a turbocharged three-cylinder, a manual box, and mechanical all-wheel drive. It'll be a widebody hatchback, not a sedan, though such wouldn't be unwelcome.

The source wasn't able to provide any further detail; performance specs, pricing, and its exact release date remain uncertain. However, they did tell me they expect the GR Corolla (or Corolla GR-Four) by the end of the year, emphasizing that this isn't yet set in stone.

Much of what they told me has been corroborated by both stories in Japanese media and a recent story from Motortrend, which, citing "well-placed sources," reported the GR Corolla's manual to be a six-speed. They added that the AWD system will come directly from the GR Yaris, bringing along with it a center differential with varying torque splits, and that the GR Yaris' 1.5-liter three-cylinder will gain power for its appearance in the Corolla. This echoes an earlier report alleging that the GR Corolla could have up to 296 horsepower, or enough to make it a close competitor with the Volkswagen Golf R.

Said report also foretold some of the GR Corolla's body modifications, as outlined by both my and Motortrend's sources. They spoke of a widebody and agreed with MT that the GR Corolla will get a different front bumper, as well as aero tweaks later reported to be a mock diffuser. There remains some conflict on the GR Corolla's exhaust setup, with my source saying three tips and MT's claiming two, though it's likely the prototype shown off in front of dealers was incomplete and may have simply routed all exhaust through the center for testing's sake.

Regardless, exhaust setup is a far less interesting subject than price, which the aforementioned Japanese rumor alleged could fall in the mid-$30,000s. That'd make the GR Corolla significantly cheaper than a Golf R, despite being nearly on par performance-wise. It'd also position this Corolla between the GR86 and the base, 2.0-liter Supra, allowing it to fill in as an adjunct third member of the "Three Brothers" sports car lineup Toyota has committed to bringing back. It's not yet clear if Toyota considers it a full member of the trio, though if it doesn't, that leaves the door open for more good news down the road: One last, potentially mid-engine Toyota sports car.

The Drive reached out to Toyota regarding these claims, though it declined to comment.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,123 Posts
I hate to be that guy butttt: 1.6L ;). Obviously on the writer but they tend to do that kind of thing. KBB called the GRY a Corolla XD. The 3 exhaust outlets definitely sounds unlikely but that raises a question: Do you guys want single exit or dual exit? I'd personally love a single exit out the center like the WRC car

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to be that guy butttt: 1.6L ;). Obviously on the writer but they tend to do that kind of thing. KBB called the GRY a Corolla XD. The 3 exhaust outlets definitely sounds unlikely but that raises a question: Do you guys want single exit or dual exit? I'd personally love a single exit out the center like the WRC car
These damn sausage fingers getting in the way of things 😅. Thanks for correcting me. My guess is that this tri-exhaust is something that Toyota is experimenting with but will eventually play it safe with a dual exhaust. A single one would be cool but I don't see Toyota doing that.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,123 Posts
These damn sausage fingers getting in the way of things 😅. Thanks for correcting me. My guess is that this tri-exhaust is something that Toyota is experimenting with but will eventually play it safe with a dual exhaust. A single one would be cool but I don't see Toyota doing that.
Maybe a triple was just seeing where they liked the exit coming out and whether they liked 2 or 1. I agree though, the GRY was a double so they're probably going to use the same look

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
Maybe a triple was just seeing where they liked the exit coming out and whether they liked 2 or 1. I agree though, the GRY was a double so they're probably going to use the same look
It could be a single exit exhaust like the GR race cars but I think it’ll be a dual exhaust similar to the Yaris.
3 exhaust would be a Type R rip off in my opinion

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,123 Posts
I got the author to correct it haha

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
674 Posts
Triple tip is thumbs down from me. If exhaust has multiple pipes, one better be for the anti-lag and pop flames!

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
350 Posts
of these rumors:
  • love the engine from yaris with more power
  • love the awe from yaris
  • love the manual trans
  • love the factory wide body
  • hate the central exhaust, needs dual exhaust to compliment a wider look

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.