Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

Registered
Its crazy what they are getting its like a mini 2jz
Considering that the 2JZ was a 3.0L I6 and they could get 1000hp on stock internals, this is coming is at half that hp with the engine being half as big in a 1.6L I3 putting out 500hp. Exactly on par with the legendary 2JZ. Maybe we have the beginning of another historic engine!

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
The amount of times I've debated leaving everything behind and just going to live with my mates in the UK or the Netherlands just so I can own one is disheartening

Reactions: 98

Registered
I thought Toyota would only use non-interference engine for reliability, but oh well it kinda proves the point that reliability isn't the top priority for GR Corolla.

source:

So, would you preventively replace timing chain at some interval or it'll last the lifetime of the engine?

Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
I thought Toyota would only use non-interference engine for reliability, but oh well it kinda proves the point that reliability isn't the top priority for GR Corolla.

source:

So, would you preventively replace timing chain at some interval or it'll last the lifetime of the engine?
Timing chains are meant to last the life of the engine, you shouldn't have to worry about a chain snapping or needing preventative measures. Working at Subaru, I've only ever seen 1 snapped chain and it was after an engine rebuild. Interference doesn't mean it won't be relilable

Registered
I have seen a couple of videos mention the Corolla GR G16E-GTS has upgraded internals to achieve more power compared to the Yaris GR. However, when Naoyuki Sakamoto is asked how they achieved more power in the Corolla GR he references the exhaust design to reduce back pressure. Are the engine components really upgraded? If so, how?

Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
I have seen a couple of videos mention the Corolla GR G16E-GTS has upgraded internals to achieve more power compared to the Yaris GR. However, when Naoyuki Sakamoto is asked how they achieved more power in the Corolla GR he references the exhaust design to reduce back pressure. Are the engine components really upgraded? If so, how?
From other interviews i think its been gleaned that the metal in the pistons is improved and improved piston oil squirters.

Registered
From other interviews i think its been gleaned that the metal in the pistons is improved and improved piston oil squirters.
That鈥檚 a nice bonus. The rods and crankshaft are already forged. Improved piston material/components is a welcome addition.

The Motive team is doing good work testing the G16E. After about 500hp the pistons still looked fine. The head gasket took a beating though. It鈥檚 impressive what this little engine can do.

Registered
2020 X3M Competition
It's kind of surprising that they can get this much power out of 1.5L considering its economy engine roots of open deck and cast pistons/rods. Outside of the ball bearing turbo and main bearing girdle this is a very ordinary engine. I'm not saying it won't last or isn't capable, just that it's not overly impressive from a technical level compared to say the B58 engine which is extremely stout.

Super Moderator
It's kind of surprising that they can get this much power out of 1.5L considering its economy engine roots of open deck and cast pistons/rods. Outside of the ball bearing turbo and main bearing girdle this is a very ordinary engine. I'm not saying it won't last or isn't capable, just that it's not overly impressive from a technical level compared to say the B58 engine which is extremely stout.

It鈥檚 very much in line with Toyota鈥檚 smaller performance engines for sure.

B58 is extremely stout and the closest thing to a modern 2J.

Registered
It seems like the pistons are not forged after all.

"Unfortunately, the GR Corolla doesn鈥檛 come with forged internals. Instead, the manufacturer opted for eutectic cast pistons, a popular option with performance tuners. "

81 - 98 of 98 Posts