Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
468 Posts
Ya thats what I was going after with the new hybrid rules in the WRC 520hp Corolla would be nuts. If anyone is wondering what we are talking about the new WRC rules allow up to 520hp with the hybrid system. And Jeonsa you were right in the city spots are full electric.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Ya thats what I was going after with the new hybrid rules in the WRC 520hp Corolla would be nuts. If anyone is wondering what we are talking about the new WRC rules allow up to 520hp with the hybrid system. And Jeonsa you were right in the city spots are full electric.
We can talk about that in the WRC thread! I’m trying to help clean up the randomness in the forums.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
It’s a different iteration they’re using in WRC due to the new rules. BUT if we get the GRMN engine, that looks more like a Nuremberg runner since it’s been in the GRMN Yaris mule running around. That engine might be just a regular G16 with added power or it could actually get some upgrades. Pure speculation.

I mean Yamaha is working on stuff with Toyota again… even working on a couple things for the hydrogen G16. Wishful thinking
I believe if I remember correctly Toyota can't use the exact G16 in WRC but they were permitted to use it in WRC2 and 3

Reactions: Jeonsa

·
Registered
143 Posts
Reading all I can about this car, and some seem to think engine wise it might be fitted with the 2.4 turbo from Lexus. I know all the spoilers from Toyota are showing the 1.6 from the GRY (which makes way more sense), but I'm wondering if you all have come across info that states the 1.6 will be the only engine offered.

I'll be fine with the 1.6, but a 2nd option (and specially that 2.4 t) would be incredible. Similar to the Supra where they offer a base and a higher output ICE, it would also set up the GRC to compete with the GTI AND Golf R, as well as the Civic Si AND Type R. Wishful thinking, but wondering what you all have found out.
I don't think it will be anything but the 1.6 I3 as it will be a drop in straight from the GR Yaris. Itnwill also keep cost and weight down.

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
There is absolutely, positively, without question, a 0% chance they would put in a hydrogen engine in this NA specific model.

They literally only sell the Mirai in California.
Not what we’re saying. We’re saying Toyota is putting a lot of effort in that engine whether that be a hybrid setup, hydrogen, efuels/synthetic fuels etc. If the whole lineup turned EV, just hybrid, or had alternatives the GRC could be around for a bit if they wanted it to compared to the 86 or Supra off of observations with racing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not what we’re saying. We’re saying Toyota is putting a lot of effort in that engine whether that be a hybrid setup, hydrogen, efuels/synthetic fuels etc. If the whole lineup turned EV, just hybrid, or had alternatives the GRC could be around for a bit if they wanted it to compared to the 86 or Supra off of observations with racing.
Yes, that is what you are saying. Why would the GRC be around with a hydogen setup when the market barely exists?

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
Yes, that is what you are saying. Why would the GRC be around with a hydogen setup when the market barely exists?
Imagine telling someone what they’re saying after I just explained to you what I was saying.

The point I was getting at in general is they’re putting a lot of effort in that G16 is all, I could care less if it’s hydrogen.

I find it interesting they’re putting so much effort in that engine for racing.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
As of right now, yes there is no market for it at this moment and no one knows for sure the GRC would even stick around. It's just that Toyota is experimenting a lot with the G16 and hydrogen is one of those experiments. The GRC could stick around as a hydrogen model or a hybrid or it could not stick around. A lot of companies are experimenting with alternate fuel and other ways to make combustion and Toyota is choosing the G16 to be the test mule

·
Registered
368 Posts
Woah, so aggressive, lol. I've been passively following this thread and I didn't get the impression you got at all. What I understood - and appreciated the news - is that Toyota is experimenting with a Hydrogen variant and it is possible we'll see that in the future.

With regards to "Why would the GRC be around with a hydogen setup when the market barely exists?"

I think that future is not as far as one might think. They've been working on hydrogen for a while now, and hydrogen stations are being placed in various parts of the USA as we speak. There are actually a few hydrogen stations in my state even though we can't actually buy a hydrogen car here.

If you want to talk about the market, look at how fast the EV market picked up. The Tesla roadster was released 2008, with charging stations mainly in CA (like how Hydrogen is now); 13-14 years later, every main manufacturer is now producing an EV of some sort with charging stations all over the country.

If there is any concern about Hydrogen, it is that it gets dropped as a car technology in favor of EV, which I am hoping it does not.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Toyota has been planning and experimenting with hydrogen tech for awhile. They even want to have a city at the base of Mount Fuji where everything is fueled by hydrogen. Hydrogen is in the stages hybrids were in the 90's. Notice how the Prius was the first mass produced hybrid to be successful? The Mirai or another hydrogen car could be that Prius

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
364 Posts
There is absolutely, positively, without question, a 0% chance they would put in a hydrogen engine in this NA specific model.

Thers a few Mirai here in our state. The Hydrogen Corolla is nothing like the Mirai though. Its the Yaris engine converted to run on hydrogen, like how the convert other ICE engines to propane.

anyway, from all the teasers its pretty much no question the GRC will have theGR Yaris driverrain.

·
Registered
143 Posts

It's basically the same engine but instead of using gasoline it uses hydrogen in the fuel tank in the same way engines use gasoline today. They are experimenting with different types of fuels, nothing more.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts