Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

The Start of Big Corp Manufacturers Going Direct Sales?

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  gazoo 
It's already happening, Honda and Mercedes recently moved to online fixed priceing here in Oz. The Merc dealers kicked up about it but to no avail.
I heard that Mercedes in NZ are going this way in August 2022.

The advantage is they don't need to buy the stock, which can be an advantage because I wanted to buy a A45S but they have no demo car to drive so basically they expect you to shell out NZD$125K for a car you have never even driven and wait 6 to 8 months for it to arrive.

The disadvantage is that it will all be fixed pricing and no discounts. As they never came back to me for a cash price on a new one, I have no idea if the cash saving was significant or not.

I liked the A45S but ultimately its not a manual and its horribly over complicated. While trying to decide, the GR Corolla came up and killed the Mercedes. If the A45S was simplified, lighter and a bit more old school with a 6 speed manual and a bit cheaper I would have bought one.

To many manufacturers are getting hung up on "Features" and a whole pile of shit you do not need that you still have to pay for. The long term reliability of these cars full of electronics is going to be terrible. Stop getting obsessed with 0-60 times and make a car that is raw and fun to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.