Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a couple threads some of us touched on Toyota’s interesting history of legendary vehicles.

The GR Corolla is shaping to be one of those iconic future classics under Toyota’s lineup with its brother the GR Yaris, but in ways, Toyota’s history shows us what path the GRC can take.

Most of the names Toyota produced were vehicles that gained their popularity after production ceased, all while forgetting some of the most important information about the car. (sales numbers, competition, marketing etc).

In some instances, the cars were brought back in a way to capitalize off of nostalgia. Some would say “Well all manufacturers do it.” Which is true but not in a way where they use just the name. Sometimes they use culture references, nicknames, chassis codes and etc. In some instances actually confusing history.

We don’t have a category to really talk about general stuff but I wanted a thread to talk about where we see the GR Corolla’s legacy for fun. It’s an exciting car for sure though there’s obviously a chance that like all iconic Toyota’s before, the hype will die down and some might say “it’s just a Corolla”

Funny thing is… that’s actually happened to the car before.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

Tire Wheel Toyota fj cruiser Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

·
468 Posts
Yes I agree these are all very iconic cars/trucks that no one ever cared about after they left production.
The AE86 I didn't know much about drifting until Tokyo drift came out still not overly my thing.
The Supra well Fast and Furious made that car into the legend it is today. Sorry I don't like the 5th gen.
Fj Cruiser I think over the past few years with Covid people are getting out in nature and spending more time off the beaten path and well the FJ is a great off road quirky rig.
LFA is the best sounding v10 supercar ever made Thank you Yamaha. Plus its a Toyota.
I think the 2000GT's are around a million dollars now. 20 years down the road remember when Toyota made that Corolla HB AWD and a turbo 3cyl those crazy Takumis they were on to something lol.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,548 Posts
I will never forget the days when I was in middle school and watched the LF-A come out at $300k only to drop to $200k or less the following years. Now you're lucky to find one under $500k. Even the FJ itself was a revival of the Land Cruiser which had the same issue at first and now they might revive it again

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,548 Posts
It will eventually. The Nurburgring Editions are pushing close to $2mil now

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I agree these are all very iconic cars/trucks that no one ever cared about after they left production.
The AE86 I didn't know much about drifting until Tokyo drift came out still not overly my thing.
The Supra well Fast and Furious made that car into the legend it is today. Sorry I don't like the 5th gen.
Fj Cruiser I think over the past few years with Covid people are getting out in nature and spending more time off the beaten path and well the FJ is a great off road quirky rig.
LFA is the best sounding v10 supercar ever made Thank you Yamaha. Plus its a Toyota.
I think the 2000GT's are around a million dollars now. 20 years down the road remember when Toyota made that Corolla HB AWD and a turbo 3cyl those crazy Takumis they were on to something lol.
It’s amazing how it goes. The 2 cars made through collabs were cars that either were overlooked or had bad sales numbers so they brought them back either named after a chassis code or marketed as a “A90” with a complete different chassis code.

FJ was the beginning of Toyota bringing back a name to sell a new vehicle too. I think they should produce another during a time where SUVs are popular butthey already have so many.

·
468 Posts
It’s amazing how it goes. The 2 cars made through collabs were cars that either were overlooked or had bad sales numbers so they brought them back either named after a chassis code or marketed as a “A90” with a complete different chassis code.

FJ was the beginning of Toyota bringing back a name to sell a new vehicle too. I think they should produce another during a time where SUVs are popular butthey already have so many.
I agree I think there is a EV cruiser in the works. I love the look of rugged boxy suv

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will never forget the days when I was in middle school and watched the LF-A come out at $300k only to drop to $200k or less the following years. Now you're lucky to find one under $500k. Even the FJ itself was a revival of the Land Cruiser which had the same issue at first and now they might revive it again
FJ was the beginning of Toyota bringing back iconic names or portion of names people remember. Then after it burned out they did it with collab cars. Just recently they posted a GR86 initial D advertisement and all I saw in the comments is “kinda awkward now we’re getting a GR Corolla hatch” 😂

that’s what I was saying with marketing earlier in this forum.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,548 Posts
FJ was the beginning of Toyota bringing back iconic names or portion of names people remember. Then after it burned out they did it with collab cars. Just recently they posted a GR86 initial D advertisement and all I saw in the comments is “kinda awkward now we’re getting a GR Corolla hatch” 😂

that’s what I was saying with marketing earlier in this forum.
It'll be interesting to see. Maybe they will advertise it with the AE86 or maybe they'll do the Corolla WRC. It's possible they could still advertise this with the Celica GT-4 like the GRY since we don't see the GRY ads here and all 3 are cars built with a turbo AWD system for WRC

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It'll be interesting to see. Maybe they will advertise it with the AE86 or maybe they'll do the Corolla WRC. It's possible they could still advertise this with the Celica GT-4 like the GRY since we don't see the GRY ads here and all 3 are cars built with a turbo AWD system for WRC
Corolla WRC is awesome but it’s not well known. I just find it funny average people are already like wait a minute…. 😂

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Corolla has an extremely rich history. Just normal people only remember the AE86 and for some reason they think the model name was “AE86”

GR Corolla will show people how cool the line actually is!!!

In japan they also had 90s Sprinter Truenos/Levins. Another forgotten gem. View attachment 189
View attachment 190
They are forgotten because they are FF’s. Car enthusiasts remember the AE86 b/c it was the last RWD Corolla. Another honorable mentions are the 3 gen Corolla’s.

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Hood

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Cloud

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are forgotten because they are FF’s. Car enthusiasts remember the AE86 b/c it was the last RWD Corolla. Another honorable mentions are the 3 gen Corolla’s.

View attachment 192
View attachment 193
View attachment 194
View attachment 191
People actually loved them from the cartoon and popularity of drifting floating everywhere. I actually like the rally cars more then the normal street ones.

3rd Gen Corolla’s have always been my favorite due to the sexy lines. Guff on here has a old Celica with similar lines, so beautiful. I feel like they never had as much of a fair shake stateside due to the muscle car era. But body wise they’re amazing.

·
Registered
100 Posts
People actually loved them from the cartoon and popularity of drifting floating everywhere. I actually like the rally cars more then the normal street ones.

3rd Gen Corolla’s have always been my favorite due to the sexy lines. Guff on here has a old Celica with similar lines, so beautiful. I feel like they never had as much of a fair shake stateside due to the muscle car era. But body wise they’re amazing.
Depends on which group people you ask. I already graduated h/s when Initial D came out so our generation was already doing this which led to the cartoon. The same with Southern California street racing in the 90’s that lead to FnF in the late 90’s. The 90’s was a damn fun era.

@Guff, do you still have your 70’s Celica? There was a reason why they called the Celica liftback, the “Japanese Mustang”

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Super Moderator
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Depends on which group people you ask. I already graduated h/s when Initial D came out so our generation was already doing this which led to the cartoon. The same with Southern California street racing in the 90’s that lead to FnF in the late 90’s. The 90’s was a damn fun era.

@Guff, do you still have your 70’s Celica? There was a reason why they called the Celica liftback, the “Japanese Mustang”

View attachment 195

http://instagr.am/p/CVqGMhprbhR/

1 - 20 of 110 Posts