Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for having us! My name is Mark and I'm co-owner and engineer here at SXTH Element Engineering.

We are excited to get into a new platform coming from our KDM roots.
For those not familiar, we are an aftermarket brand for mainly Kia/Hyundai along with special focus on N and N-Line models.

www.sxthelement.com

Until we can get our hands on a car, we'd love for someone near Spartanburg, SC to come visit us for some in person measuring, inspection and 3D scanning.
We compensate for time with the car and travel on top of either free or heavily discounted finished pre-production prototypes.

On top of making some solid hardware like we do for N cars like intakes/intercoolers, etc we are also working on ECU reading and writing thru OBD with our EK1 Lite, which is our version of a device like the AccessPort.

I will do my best to stay on top of news here, but if anyone needs anything the best way to reach me is by emailing [email protected]

Thanks!

Pic for attention!

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Office equipment

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahh... found the link on your site...

http://instagr.am/p/CoF82yPP-pa/

I don't instagran either.
Hello! We had the car in for 3D scanning and wanted to see if 2WD dyno would work.
You found the video, which is good!

We have run our dyno since day one the same way.
- We always keep smoothing on 5
- We always use STD correction
- Our shop is climate controlled for the most part if we keep the doors shut. Ambient temp in the shop was around 65 degF.
- We are in Spartanburg, SC. Our elevation is between 900-1000 ft

Hope this helps!

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great! A few more last questions, did you use dyno mode (the special mode Toyota put into the car)? Or did you use some other method to get it to dyno in FWD?

Did you do more runs and find that the power and boost was not consistent from back-to-back runs? Or did you find it very consistent and smooth (like Limit+1 with + or - 2hp variance once warmed up). Or just 2 runs, and that's it?

The dyno graph I see in the video is not as smooth as Limit+1's, the power does not hold all the way out to 7200rpm, and the peak power was not at 6400-6500 like Limit+1 was able to get on their dyno. According to the rating ([email protected]), the peak is at 6500rpm. I see you hit peak at 5870rpms.

Do you have a YT video on the dyno runs?

Lastly, all dyno's on the GRCorolla, are being listed and discussed on this thread. Pop in, and you'll get a ton of publicity...
We used this video:

After posting the vids on Facebook, a person showed us this tech procedure, which we will try next time. Attached to this post.

We only did the two runs in the video. Didn't feel the need to keep repeating it.

The video is on our Instagram page here:
SXTH Element Engineering on Instagram: "Had a new GR Corolla come in for a 3D scanning session so we also put it on the dyno to see what it would do in 2WD mode 🤓 • Only difference in the back to back runs was coolant/oil temps. It seems first run had temps not in the optimal zone of the OEM tuning, so after waiting a couple min to run it again, the slightly higher coolant/oil temps let out another 8whp up top. Pretty cool! • We will be working on a suite of GRC upgrades! Stay tuned! #toyota #toyotacorolla #grcorolla #gr #gazooracing #corolla #toyotagr #jdm #jdmcars #jdmgram #jdmlifestyle #jdmnation #jdmlife #jdmdaily #jdmculture #jdmtuning #sxth #sxthelementengineering"

Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We tried a "dyno mode" step by step from another person posted here. The screen on the car gave some AWD test mode warning, but it did not allow the car to drive normally on the dyno.

After performing the steps in the previous video i showed you, the car drove as normal on the dyno.
When we bring the car back, we will try the procedure in the Toyota OEM document I attached previously.

The slightly different power up top was from having a optimal coolant temperature. If you look at the curves, the engine is operating normally and the dyno is reading that normally.

You are WAY overthinking all of this. The Limit+ guys used an entirely different machine than us.
The machines do not load the drivetrain in the same way, nor would they give similar results.

Dynos are tools for measuring change in power/torque of modifications. That is all we use ours for, not to establish the gospel of the absolute concrete WHP numbers lol.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm trying to tell you when we saw AWD mode warnings on the screen, the car would not drive. Repeated the steps multiple times with warnings confirmed on the cluster.
It would not allow us to operate it on our 2WD setup.

After performing the steps in the video I showed you, it allowed us to drive normally and run it wide open throttle normally.

Once we get the car back, I will try the OEM Toyota procedure document I attached earlier, and see how that differs.
It will simply offer another sample to the WHP pool of samples.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I understand what you are saying, but if I can only dyno it a certain way, and that happens to be the wrong way, how can i misrepresent a tune that adds 25whp?

Say my dynojet session is completely "wrong." The car dynos 265-270whp on my dyno, everytime we have it here stock.
Now we finish our stage 1 tune for example. New results on our machine are 300whp every time. A net gain of 30-35whp, repeatedly.

While my 300whp is still "wrong," my results of my product are concrete and repeatedly measurable by anyone who buys the tune.

What's the problem with that? I use my dyno as a tool to measure before and after and advertise accordingly.

I do not see a problem here.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Next time the car is here. we'll do 10 back to back runs for ya. Sound good? lol

The mustang dyno accuracy isn't a question, the engine determined those output numbers.
That means the engine is nice and consistent given the operating conditions.

Unless a big event happens to the dyno to effect it's operation, like a broken or worn part in the middle of the runs, you won't see major power variations in runs because of the dyno.
It would be the engine. So many variables in a wide open throttle run that can effect back to back runs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts