Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Supra vs Z

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Ironworker842 
#1 ·
Didn't really know where to share this video, so I figured I'd start a GR thread for all things GR. SavageGeese droppin the goods once again.

Incredible how (in regard to track times) the 86 is closer to the Z, than the Z is to the Supra. Awesome little car that if I didn't live in a snowy climate, I'd have a hard time deciding between it and the GRC.

Toyota GR Supra vs Nissan Z | A Real JDM Battle

#3 ·
Didn't really know where to share this video, so I figured I'd start a GR thread for all things GR. SavageGeese droppin the goods once again.

Incredible how (in regard to track times) the 86 is closer to the Z, than the Z is to the Supra. Awesome little car that if I didn't live in a snowy climate, I'd have a hard time deciding between it and the GRC.

Toyota GR Supra vs Nissan Z | A Real JDM Battle
That was a fun video. They did mention the 86 had new wheels and tires on it, so that did make a difference. Also you can see BMW's trick of underrating engines showing up!

#10 ·
I was doing a little research for fun on the 370z some time ago and apparently replacing the concentric clutch slave cylinder with a heavy-duty external slave cylinder upgrade is something you're basically guaranteed to need to do. Replacing the electric steering column lock is also quite likely. I do agree though that it makes a good canvas for upgrades, (much like Toyota/Subaru try to do with the BRZ/86 twins, though the Nissan is of course much more powerful to begin with.)

I did read some old fairly in-depth tests of the 370z and even the optional performance brake pads would fade and Nissan's staff knew it. The magazine suspected that there simply isn't enough air going to the brakes to cool them. Z Meets Wall: We Investigate Why the NISMO Z's Brakes Failed at Lightning Lap
(I'm fairly sure the GT-R's brakes are just fine (never heard of issues with the brakes), but that thing costs something like $115k USD and up so it better.)

#11 ·
370 is hydraulic steering. 400hp crank is pretty attainable n/a. I'd do quality coilovers, wheels and tires, and yes brakes. There not bad for street but when pushed they heat up pretty quick. The base 370 was 29 grand new in canada! Which I think is insane value. It will never be as nimble as a 86 or brz, but I still think they get undue hate. Kinda of like the miata did back in the day. I own a 2011 mx5 and I regularly drive my old man's 370 and I find it quite charming. Just something different.

#15 ·
It's not the steering rack but the steering lock that activates after you exit the car, which is electronic because it has keyless entry and ignition. According to some things I saw it's a common failure (though I'm sure not guaranteed to happen).

That sounds like a great deal! I also think they get undue hate as I mostly like the design, though I've never sat in one so I don't know how all that would feel for me ergonomically. I highly doubt I'd fit in a new ND Miata very well FWIW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.