Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Subaru just sent out a press release today:

CAMDEN, N.J., March 11, 2022 /PRNewswire/ --

As the automotive marketplace continues to move towards electrification, Subaru is focused on how our future sports and performance cars should evolve to meet the needs of the changing marketplace and the regulations and requirements for greenhouse gasses (GHG), zero emissions vehicles (ZEV), and Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFÉ).

As part of that effort, Subaru Corporation is exploring opportunities for the next generation Subaru WRX STI, including electrification. In the meantime, a next generation internal combustion engine WRX STI will not be produced based upon the new WRX platform.

The Subaru WRX STI and the STI brand represent the zenith of Subaru's performance vehicles exemplifying Subaru's unique DNA and rally heritage. As we look to the future, we also look forward to incorporating the essence of STI into our next generation of vehicles.
So, I think the GR Corolla has an even more significant role to play in this "enthusiast rally" market than before. At the very least, there may be more demand for it with no STi coming.

Electric STi sounds interesting though, but I'm sure we won't see it for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts

So, I think the GR Corolla has an even more significant role to play in this "enthusiast rally" market than before. At the very least, there may be more demand for it with no STi coming.

Electric STi sounds interesting though, but I'm sure we won't see it for a long time.
Dang! It’s a wrap

·
Super Moderator
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the shrinking competition of the space is certainly a sad thing. Especially since so many people were hoping the STi would be the less ugly version of the WRX. I guess VA STi's are holding their value now.

·
Registered
‘15 Ford Fiesta ST
163 Posts
What a damn shame. End of an era and the last car with front and rear LSDs paired to a manual. This was probably the only car that would’ve dragged me from the Corolla due to the larger rear leg room and trunk. You’ll be sorely missed WRX STI.
And I just got my deposit in on the GRC today. #2 on the list. Ha-ha!
How and where if you don’t mind me asking?

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts
As we look to the future, we also look forward to incorporating the essence of STI into our next generation of vehicles.
Get ready for STI-line vehicles...

I'm sad to see the WRX STI line go. The optimist in me wants to say they'll bring it back in another line of cars based on the wording, but the easiest in me says it's over.

Edit: words are hard. I fix them.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts

Probably not until 2026 if I had to guess, maybe 2028

·
Registered
193 Posts

I'm sad to see the WRX STI line. The optimistic in me wants to say they'll bring it back in another line of cars based on the wording, but the easiest in me says it's over.
They've got that tS (Tuned by STi (Subaru Tecnica International)) badge that they threw on the BRZ. Wouldn't be surprised if they started throwing that around. WRX tS with "Sport Tuned Suspension" aka lowered 4mm and added a 1mm thicker sway bar.

And I know you probably knew what those acronyms meant. Acronyms within acronyms is funny to me.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts

I'm sad to see the WRX STI line go. The optimist in me wants to say they'll bring it back in another line of cars based on the wording, but the easiest in me says it's over.

They already have "STi Sport" in Japan :(

• Sad
Reactions: ryno9100

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts
They already have "STi Sport" in Japan :(
I dislike "*-line" cars. I always do the "wave" at other STs and RSs on the road. But for a single year, Ford sold the Fiesta ST-line. I didn't know this when I "waved" at the guy. Then got super sad to realize I'd wasted my gas... Lol.

But, they sell, because they usually look better than the standard car.

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts
They've got that tS (Tuned by STi (Subaru Tecnica International)) badge that they threw on the BRZ. Wouldn't be surprised if they started throwing that around. WRX tS with "Sport Tuned Suspension" aka lowered 4mm and added a 1mm thicker sway bar.

And I know you probably knew what those acronyms meant. Acronyms within acronyms is funny to me.
I totally forgot about the tS line. We'll have to see if they decide to go full Chevy start putting RS badges (or STI badges) on literally all the things that mean almost literally nothing. I hope not. I generally like Subaru.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts

If that EV Yamaha/Subaru car leads the charge (no pun intended) they’ll be alright. I’m just surprised they decided to go this route.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
I wouldn't doubt if they had a hybrid plan but with everything going on in the world and different countries having different legislation on the future of automobiles they just scrapped it. Especially since the FA24 was made with the STi in mind

Reactions: Jeonsa
1 - 20 of 49 Posts