Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Corolla GR is exciting and I wanted to lend some advice as someone who bought a IS500 this year, which also had a limited production of probably <1000 units (launch edition + premium trims) in 2022.

1. Cast a wide net and put down as many deposits down as possible (make sure they're refundable). 1 dealership won't be enough. I had a deposit at 3 local dealerships and I was even #1 at one of them. The paradox is that deposits rarely work. Ironically all 3 of mine fell through for various reasons (add-ons, wrong color, etc.), and I eventually flew out of state to get my car.

2. Have the full amount of cash you want to pay ready to go in your checking account. When these cars land dealerships will move FAST. You can't afford to wait a couple business days for funds to transfer between institutions. You don't even want to worry about this.

3. Have a travel bag ready. Ok, not literally a travel bag. Just be mentally prepared to travel. You might need to fly out in case one of the deposits at your local dealership doesn't work out. Remember, the cost of a plane ticket almost always will be cheaper than add-on fees or mark up.

4. Realize you're never going to get to test drive it.

5. This might be the most important one. Stay on this forum ALL THE TIME when they start landing. There might be some nice people here that post availability for fun and the difference between you not getting the car and getting it could be a matter of seconds. I got my IS500 by visiting ClubLexus every minute of the day. Someone posted about one available out-of-state and 800 miles away from me. I called immediately and claimed it, started all the paperwork over the phone. Later I found out 10 other people had called a few minutes after me. Another member had the same luck as me on ClubLexus and got their car through the forums.

GOOD LUCK! I'm rooting for y'all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Question, did your dealers take lists for deposits? Or just take money and say "good luck lmao"? I've corroborated my place in line at a local highly regarded high volume dealer with a handful of different people who also have day 1 deposits in place and am fairly confident in things going down they way they've been described from various sales people communicating the same message to different buyers.

Given the EXTRA exclusivity of the IS500, it doesn't surprise me they were harder to get. Although, you saying that people hopping the line and it's a matter of seconds is concerning. Do you mean just hopping on whichever deposit works out first, or do you mean literally just "Getting wind" that ones landed and swooping in to purchase totally ignoring that dealer's list and other deposits.

Sounds like some super shady dealer BS to me

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Question, did your dealers take lists for deposits? I've corroborated my place in line at a local highly regarded high volume dealer with a handful of different people who also have day 1 deposits in place and am fairly confident in things going down they way they've been described from various sales people communicating the same message to different buyers.

Given the EXTRA exclusivity of the IS500, it doesn't surprise me they were harder to get. Although, you saying that people hopping the line and it's a matter of seconds is concerning. Do you mean just hopping on whichever deposit works out first, or do you mean literally just "Getting wind" that ones landed and swooping in to purchase totally ignoring that dealer's list and other deposits.

Sounds like some super shady dealer BS to me
Sure I can elaborate hopefully. Nobody was hopping the line. I was #1, #8ish, and #14 at the 3 dealerships. The way it worked was they would call people in order when they received the car, and would ask if I wanted it. I knew my shot at the dealership I was #1 at was spectacular, because I'd be the first to be called. I did get called first. I went in to see the car, but it wasn't the color I wanted. They were also requiring a $6000 add-on of ceramic coat, security system, etc. They weren't willing to negotiate. So I walked away. They said I'd still be #1 for the color and they'd call me first if they got that color, but I knew they'd still tack on the add-ons. So it was a lost cause and I had to mentally forget about being #1.

The dealership I was #8 in line never got an IS500 at all before I got mine, lol.

The dealership I was #14 was the huge volume dealership so I felt good about my chances with them even though I was #14. But the out-of-state car came up before that ever happened too.

You might be confused because I was able to get the IS500 from out-of-state so quickly. It's because that dealership had no line for the IS500. They were such a small, fly-under-the-radar dealership I had a huge pleasure working with them. It was a fun weekend. Ok it was Lexus of Santa Fe. As in New Mexico, the middle of nowhere. Huge props to them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.