Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Snow Tires/Wheel Setup

106K views 578 replies 134 participants last post by  mikexay 
#1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Does anyone know what the smallest diameter wheel you can put on and still clear the caliper is? I would like to get a second set of wheels for my snow tires and some extra sidewall is nice. Also makes it nice when you go to do some SCCA style rallycross ;)

See less See more
#90 ·
Toyota's SEMA "rally" car seems to have the zero offset OZ wheels over the stock brakes;
For the best grip possible off-road, the Corolla features 17x8-inch OZ Racing wheels, with 215/60R17 Continental VikingContact 7 tires. The Toyota team decided to keep the GR Corolla’s braking setup, with its 14x1.1-inch ventilate and slotted rotors with the four-piston aluminum calipers.

This gives me hope to find some proper offset 17's that clear the calipers, I hadn't seen if they ran smaller discs on that build.

#93 ·
Moderators, if vendors need to pay please DM me and we will gladly set it up

We are going to be able to get super aggressive with wheel fitment on this thing. I am so pumped. I think right out of the box I nailed the fitment perfectly for the wheels, but need a different tire.

These wheels are for a beefy Tesla track set up, they aren’t what I put together for this car, they were just in the shop and I wanted to see how fitment looked.
This is an 18X9.5 +40 Enkei NT03RR. The tire is a RE-71R 265/45R18, and have plenty of clearance on stock brakes and suspension. Going to need to see how it does with coilovers which I’m hoping to have here in a week or two.

I think the final fitment that I am going to go with is a +30, and stick with the 265 or go up to a 275, but definitely bring the height of the tire down to a 35 or a 40. However I think an 18x10 would be easily doable with camber and +35/+40 and up to a 285. I think for the car it can get more than enough grip with a 265 on a 9.5.

Car rolled off the trailer this morning, 20 minutes later, these wheels were on. Yoinked the ECU out, so I could take pictures for Motec and Ecutek, and the factory wheels are at the tire shop getting some blizzies put on.

Will hit the Dyno next week for the baseline numbers. Then see what bolt-ons we can put together that play nice with the factory ECU and possibly provide some gains. But realistically until Tuning support comes out, it’s going to be a lot of development for the future and a lot of suspension mods. We already have some pretty good partners in Australia that have been working with the Yaris, and we’re hoping a lot is going to be cross compatible.

As we confirm fitment on any parts, including wheels that we offer that will fit, they will be added to the website. By the weekend there will be a new homepage allowing you to immediately choose between Toyota and Ford, then your vehicle.

www.tuneplusinc.com

If you have any questions, you can DM me directly here, or email me at Tuning@adamtuned.com

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

#142 ·
Moderators, if vendors need to pay please DM me and we will gladly set it up

We are going to be able to get super aggressive with wheel fitment on this thing. I am so pumped. I think right out of the box I nailed the fitment perfectly for the wheels, but need a different tire.

These wheels are for a beefy Tesla track set up, they aren’t what I put together for this car, they were just in the shop and I wanted to see how fitment looked.
This is an 18X9.5 +40 Enkei NT03RR. The tire is a RE-71R 265/45R18, and have plenty of clearance on stock brakes and suspension. Going to need to see how it does with coilovers which I’m hoping to have here in a week or two.

I think the final fitment that I am going to go with is a +30, and stick with the 265 or go up to a 275, but definitely bring the height of the tire down to a 35 or a 40. However I think an 18x10 would be easily doable with camber and +35/+40 and up to a 285. I think for the car it can get more than enough grip with a 265 on a 9.5.

Car rolled off the trailer this morning, 20 minutes later, these wheels were on. Yoinked the ECU out, so I could take pictures for Motec and Ecutek, and the factory wheels are at the tire shop getting some blizzies put on.

Will hit the Dyno next week for the baseline numbers. Then see what bolt-ons we can put together that play nice with the factory ECU and possibly provide some gains. But realistically until Tuning support comes out, it’s going to be a lot of development for the future and a lot of suspension mods. We already have some pretty good partners in Australia that have been working with the Yaris, and we’re hoping a lot is going to be cross compatible.

As we confirm fitment on any parts, including wheels that we offer that will fit, they will be added to the website. By the weekend there will be a new homepage allowing you to immediately choose between Toyota and Ford, then your vehicle.

www.tuneplusinc.com

If you have any questions, you can DM me directly here, or email me at Tuning@adamtuned.com

View attachment 5744
View attachment 5741
View attachment 5742
View attachment 5743
Can't wait for more from you guys! Looks very promising! When you do that baseline dyno, be sure to put it in dyno mode, which is outlined here:

#96 ·
We will likely be developing our own intake that will cross over onto our turbo kit. Once we have a tuning solution sorted out. We are already working with Motec, ECUTEK, and now possibly Syvecs.

once we have a Tuning solution, that’s when the actual testing of upgrades will come in. I’m fairly certain these are torque based tuned, so they target a specific torque at all times. So if you add a part that increases horsepower, you won’t actually see the full figures because ECU is going to dial back Boost in order to maintain that torque target.

So that torque target needs to be raised up in order to see the actual gains of any parts.

I think I know who you are talking about and he is running an HKS intake set up. Yes it does fit however, it is lacking the outer most mounting hole. Which isn’t really a big deal.

#104 ·
They're fitting some tires they had on hand, not necessary an optimal setup. And for some folks, flush is more important than geometry when it comes to offset. Take sizes with a grain of salt until someone can get some tire testing/temps. This just tells us some bigger wheels fit.

Like those wheels though-

#106 ·
This tells us what we can fit. Putting an inch wider wheel, and a much bigger tire allows us to measure and get us the information we need for the biggest possible set up we can run or best fitment all together. We can do that with the stock wheel and tire as well obviously, but it makes it a little easier when you are ready start with something bigger.

Also, the post is very clear that this isn’t a set up chosen for the vehicle, it’s clearly only for testing and measuring.

I have an 18x10 wheel and a very low offset 18x9.5 wheel coming as well based off measurements from this setup.

#107 ·
You don't happen to have any 17" wheels laying around for test fits do you? Some of us will be shopping for -1" snow wheels soon. With the low clearance, it would be interesting to see how tall a tire we could get on the car.

#110 ·
One thing I noted when I looked at my buddy's car today is that the rear quarter panel is not "prerolled" from the factory. This is going to be an issue when it is lowered.

It's a bit more complex than "just roll it" since it is not a metal panel but a plastic one, so it will need to be cut to allow for better wheel clearance for aggressive offsets. I'm sure there'll be aftermarket bolt on solutions long term as wide bodies become available.

#117 ·
If you're looking for a set of Toyota wheels to run for winter, the Highlander factory wheels may be the most similar to the GR Corolla's size. The benefit of running Toyota wheels is so you don't have to use aftermarket lug nuts, and they can be purchased relatively cheap in the used market.

This fitment is speculation, but the numbers seem to show that it should be compatible.

GRC factory wheels:
18x8.5
30mm offset
5x114
235/40/18

14-19 Highlander wheels:
18x7.5
30mm offset
5x114
225/45/18

#129 · (Edited)
I'll give it a shot when I can get away from my desk.

I used a tape measure, so nothing super scientific.

shortest distance from the caliper to the wheel spoke is between 1/4" and 3/8"

shortest distance on the rears somewhere between 5/8" and 3/4".

Reactions: noogie
#131 ·
I'll give it a shot when I can get away from my desk.

I used a tape measure, so nothing super scientific.

shortest distance from the caliper to the wheel spoke is between 1/4" and 3/8"

shortest distance on the rears somewhere between 5/8" and 3/4".
Do you mind also measuring the brake clearance between caliper and the barrel? I really want to get 17" wheels for a winter setup but so far I haven't seen any confirmation that anyone got them to fit.

#132 ·
@TunePlusInc
I was looking at 225/50 for snows on an 18x8" 38/49 offset, do you think an extra 11mm of tire height over your 225/45 will be OK? Still smaller than the 265/45 combo, but would give me almost .75" more deep snow clearance than the summer tires.

#133 · (Edited)
Too late for 17"s for me, the car is here and the PS4's are scary on snow. Straight to an ABS ice glide, or traction control spin-up with either pedal on flat packed snow, never mind cornering.
Currently thinking 225/50R18 on 18x8" wheels, which would give me 3/4" more clearance, or maybe a 225/45 that only gives me .3". But I need to order them like last week-

My car indicates 67mph at a GPS 65mph, the 225/45's would just about perfectly correct the 3% speedo error.