Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
81 - 100 of 579 Posts
I had it on my Z33 back in the day, and the GR86 has it now. I'm super OCD about tire pressures so it's definitely a nice little have.
Not sure if this came up again in this thread, I'm sure this was confirmed elsewhere as I recall seeing a discussion on the user manual. But in some video recently I caught a glimpse of a screen with tire pressures displayed. Checked the manual and found them it on page 280.

Just need to figure out which sensors would definitely work with it. Looking on Rock Auto it seems like every other kind of Toyota they recommend a slightly different PN sensor.

I thought I'd share my experience on snow tires, regarding the debate of performance winter tires vs winter tires. A few years back I had the chance to drive a brand new Focus RS on stock OEM winter performance tires on a private circuit on ice, as part of a local marketing event. Although this car was very fun to drive, the traction on smooth ice was quite poor. I was able to do some very nice drifts, but acceleration / turning / bracking wasn't very fast. After my turn, I asked if I could do the same course with my own car, a modest Suzuki SX4 with some half worn studded Hakka 9 tires. It was night and day - I was able to go much faster and had better control. I also had a similar experience with an Audi RS4 which I had for about a year (before selling it because the maintenance fees were crazy). It was equipped with performance Pirelli Sottozero tires. On dry pavement, the grip was astonishing, even better than other cars I had with summer tires! However, in real snow or on ice, the traction was quite poor. There is no "best" winter tire, it depends on where you live and what you prioritize. If you live somewhere where it doesn't snow often and you want good handling, then a performance winter tire would probably be best for you. If you have regular snow over several months a year (like where I live), and the temperature often oscillates above and below freezing, creating patches of ice (sometimes hidden under a thin layer of snow), then a good winter tire will provide much better traction, at the expense of dry handling. For even greater traction on pure ice, studded tires are the best, the variation in traction between various road conditions is much less pronounced.
For my part, I live in Quebec and normally I take Nokian tire for winter. I try a set of Hakka R2 on my first car and a set of Hakka 9 studded on my Jeep Cherokee V6 trailhawk (they are magic on snow and ice, when I do some of road). I’m sure of that, the studded tire is better on ice, but it’s depends of what did you do with your car. But, for my part, I was thinking to take a set of Pirelli sottozero 3 for my futur GR Corolla, because they are made for sports car and they will probably have a better performance (I mean speed and traction on snow) than a standard tire for a standard car. But I’m not totally sure of my choice.

For my part, I live in Quebec and normally I take Nokian tire for winter. I try a set of Hakka R2 on my first car and a set of Hakka 9 studded on my Jeep Cherokee V6 trailhawk (they are magic on snow and ice, when I do some of road). I’m sure of that, the studded tire is better on ice, but it’s depends of what did you do with your car. But, for my part, I was thinking to take a set of Pirelli sottozero 3 for my futur GR Corolla, because they are made for sports car and they will probably have a better performance (I mean speed and traction on snow) than a standard tire for a standard car. But I’m not totally sure of my choice.
Have you tried Continental viking contact 7 because that's what i'm going to try on my core

Have you tried Continental viking contact 7 because that's what i'm going to try on my core
No, I do not try them, but it depends, of where you live. With a quick research on the internet, I see that the Hakka R5, is better than the Continental on snow and Ice conditions. That’s for breaking and for the traction. But, the Continental is better in wet conditions. For me where I live in the winter season, we have way more Ice and snow than rainy conditions. For me if I have the choice, I will go with the Nokian Hakka R5. Just note this these all two tire are good tire in every condition, there are in the top high-end for winter tire and you probably won't see a difference when you try it's two tires, they're so good. So any choice you do with these tire it won’t be bad for winter.
It’s not like you compare a pair of Nokian Hakka 9 with a pair of BF Goodrich TA KO2 for winter or a Chinese tire.

I've had good luck with my Hakka studded snows, three styles on WRX and Tacoma. Driving in snow a lot (there's 23" of snow in my yard now) I've not had any complaints for traction, even with powder coming over the hood. But I run a taller, narrower snow tire for clearance and traction and every fall there's a striking difference between the summer performance tire and the snows. The first highway drive on the snows always has me thinking what's all wobbly? Different tires for different uses, there's big compromises if you want best possible snow and ice traction.

Any news on a 17" wheel to clear those big front brakes? Or for that matter a space saver spare that would?

Not sure if this came up again in this thread, I'm sure this was confirmed elsewhere as I recall seeing a discussion on the user manual. But in some video recently I caught a glimpse of a screen with tire pressures displayed. Checked the manual and found them it on page 280.

Just need to figure out which sensors would definitely work with it. Looking on Rock Auto it seems like every other kind of Toyota they recommend a slightly different PN sensor.
Update on this. The user manual for the car shows that there is provision for 2 sets of wheels/tires in the TPMS (called TPWS in the manual) settings. Page 282. So all you need to do is build up the winter set with the right kind of sensors and it looks like it can even deduce for itself what the new sensors are and program them etc. I'll update if I can confirm the OEM PN for the sensor.

Toyota parts says the TPMS sensor is 42607-19005. You will not find this exact PN or anything purported to replace it anywhere. It’s also spec’d for a bunch of different Lexus, like RX 450h and UX 250h so just find whatever is listed for those vehicles on Tire Rack (the very common T6) or rock auto or whatever.

Toyota's SEMA "rally" car seems to have the zero offset OZ wheels over the stock brakes;
For the best grip possible off-road, the Corolla features 17x8-inch OZ Racing wheels, with 215/60R17 Continental VikingContact 7 tires. The Toyota team decided to keep the GR Corolla’s braking setup, with its 14x1.1-inch ventilate and slotted rotors with the four-piston aluminum calipers.

This gives me hope to find some proper offset 17's that clear the calipers, I hadn't seen if they ran smaller discs on that build.

I've had them in my GTI. They are solid tires. I was pretty low in the winter and those things game me a lot of trust.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

Reactions: John
Moderators, if vendors need to pay please DM me and we will gladly set it up

We are going to be able to get super aggressive with wheel fitment on this thing. I am so pumped. I think right out of the box I nailed the fitment perfectly for the wheels, but need a different tire.

These wheels are for a beefy Tesla track set up, they aren’t what I put together for this car, they were just in the shop and I wanted to see how fitment looked.
This is an 18X9.5 +40 Enkei NT03RR. The tire is a RE-71R 265/45R18, and have plenty of clearance on stock brakes and suspension. Going to need to see how it does with coilovers which I’m hoping to have here in a week or two.

I think the final fitment that I am going to go with is a +30, and stick with the 265 or go up to a 275, but definitely bring the height of the tire down to a 35 or a 40. However I think an 18x10 would be easily doable with camber and +35/+40 and up to a 285. I think for the car it can get more than enough grip with a 265 on a 9.5.

Car rolled off the trailer this morning, 20 minutes later, these wheels were on. Yoinked the ECU out, so I could take pictures for Motec and Ecutek, and the factory wheels are at the tire shop getting some blizzies put on.

Will hit the Dyno next week for the baseline numbers. Then see what bolt-ons we can put together that play nice with the factory ECU and possibly provide some gains. But realistically until Tuning support comes out, it’s going to be a lot of development for the future and a lot of suspension mods. We already have some pretty good partners in Australia that have been working with the Yaris, and we’re hoping a lot is going to be cross compatible.

As we confirm fitment on any parts, including wheels that we offer that will fit, they will be added to the website. By the weekend there will be a new homepage allowing you to immediately choose between Toyota and Ford, then your vehicle.

www.tuneplusinc.com

If you have any questions, you can DM me directly here, or email me at Tuning@adamtuned.com

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

What intake are you even considering running until aftermarket development starts? I know someone is running a GRY intake and it fits other than 1 mounting point if I remember correctly.
We will likely be developing our own intake that will cross over onto our turbo kit. Once we have a tuning solution sorted out. We are already working with Motec, ECUTEK, and now possibly Syvecs.

once we have a Tuning solution, that’s when the actual testing of upgrades will come in. I’m fairly certain these are torque based tuned, so they target a specific torque at all times. So if you add a part that increases horsepower, you won’t actually see the full figures because ECU is going to dial back Boost in order to maintain that torque target.

So that torque target needs to be raised up in order to see the actual gains of any parts.

I think I know who you are talking about and he is running an HKS intake set up. Yes it does fit however, it is lacking the outer most mounting hole. Which isn’t really a big deal.

Thank you for the post! I was waiting for someone to let the community know. In the FB group you stated +35 but I see in the forum it is +30?
I took some measurements about 30 minutes ago, and from the fender to the lip of the rim we have about a 12 mm deficit. So that means we can likely go down an offset without an issue. Factoring in camber when the car gets lower. It will give us more clearance. So we might actually be even test fitting a +25.

We will likely be developing our own intake that will cross over onto our turbo kit. Once we have a tuning solution sorted out. We are already working with Motec, ECUTEK, and now possibly Syvecs.

once we have a Tuning solution, that’s when the actual testing of upgrades will come in. I’m fairly certain these are torque based tuned, so they target a specific torque at all times. So if you add a part that increases horsepower, you won’t actually see the full figures because ECU is going to dial back Boost in order to maintain that torque target.

So that torque target needs to be raised up in order to see the actual gains of any parts.

I think I know who you are talking about and he is running an HKS intake set up. Yes it does fit however, it is lacking the outer most mounting hole. Which isn’t really a big deal.
Nice! It will be good to see the suspension stuff especially.
In terms of mounting locations I’m not worried about the stability of the box/mounting brackets more just curious as to if you guys would be doing a fully enclosed box. I am not a fan of “filters on a stick”. I work as an engineering designer with DINAN so im used to the design processes etc but this won’t be a platform we touch sadly.
Will y’all be doing any downpipe development? Or trying to stay away from the emissions aspect.

81 - 100 of 579 Posts