Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winter tires? I've seen a lot of people in Europe use them for the GR Yaris and seems to be a great performance winter tire. These are also common in the 235/40/18 size, which would make it a great fit on the stock wheels for winter.
I was thinking of a set of these tires too. I've heard nothing but amazing things about them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 winter tires? I've seen a lot of people in Europe use them for the GR Yaris and seems to be a great performance winter tire. These are also common in the 235/40/18 size, which would make it a great fit on the stock wheels for winter.
Those are the winters that came on my Focus RS. Great performance tire in winter for spirited driving and driving on bare pavement. Not great driving around with a bit of snow/ice frozen to the ground. Wore out pretty quickly (about 25000 kms) with zero abuse. I switched to a set of Michelin X-Ice Snow to replace them and have been much happier with their performance on everything except bare pavement

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those are the winters that came on my Focus RS. Great performance tire in winter for spirited driving and driving on bare pavement. Not great driving around with a bit of snow/ice frozen to the ground. Wore out pretty quickly (about 25000 kms) with zero abuse. I switched to a set of Michelin X-Ice Snow to replace them and have been much happier with their performance on everything except bare pavement
Don't Michelin winter tires all come with a 30k mile warranty? They do in the USA at least. If you only got 25k Km (roughly 15k miles) on those, I'm pretty sure Michelin will prorate on your next set (given that the front/rear sizes are not different sizes)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Don't Michelin winter tires all come with a 30k mile warranty? They do in the USA at least. If you only got 25k Km (roughly 15k miles) on those, I'm pretty sure Michelin will prorate on your next set (given that the front/rear sizes are not different sizes)
Warranty for the Alpins are 50,000 kms. I never bought them and couldn't prove the mileage. I bought the car used with about 48,000 kms on it, and these came with the car. Based on when it was initially bought, I estimated about 20,000 kms of usage when I got them. I put about 5000 kms on them the following winter and they were done. So far I've had the X-ice Snows for 2 seasons and based on the wear I expect to get the full 60,000 kms warranty out of them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Reading the review that Tire Rack did they are much better that the X-Ice in dry and wet roads but do give up some performance on snow and ice but still performed decently. If you have a lot of snow and ice the X-Ice may be better so it just depends on the usage. These performed much better on cold dry and wet pavement than the X-Ice. I have had several X-Ice sets of winter tires and while I like Tham a lot they do leave a lot to be desired on dry and wet roads.

·
Registered
15 WRX, 15 Sienna, 23 GR86
17 Posts
Depending on the wheel, people were able to get 17's on the Yaris but that's the smallest you could go before downsizing brakes so it should be the same. I'm planning on 215/50R17's for winter. Just watch your backspacing
Has there been any word on whether the GR Corolla will have TPMS switching capability like the GR86? Meaning you can code 2 sets of TPMS to the car and switch them in car settings/glove box TPMS button?

I couldn't find anything regarding TPMS mentioned in any press release info anywhere, so I assume no. But I haven't watched many YT videos where some lesser known factoids like that may reside.

Would be a shame if it doesn't get that.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,988 Posts
Has there been any word on whether the GR Corolla will have TPMS switching capability like the GR86? Meaning you can code 2 sets of TPMS to the car and switch them in car settings/glove box TPMS button?

I couldn't find anything regarding TPMS mentioned in any press release info anywhere, so I assume no. But I haven't watched many YT videos where some lesser known factoids like that may reside.

I don't think I've seen any reviews mention it but I'm happy to be corrected. Could be a good question for @jamesThrottleHouse or @Guff

·
Registered
150 Posts

If the GR86 has it, why wouldn't the GRC?

·
Registered
150 Posts
The GR86 at its core is still a Subaru.

Worse case scenario, I'm pretty sure you can clone the TPMS from the factory wheels to a new set of TPMS sensors and have both run the same. Correct me if i'm wrong
Can't you buy yourself a set of winter wheels and tires, install TPMS put them on the car and then sync it with the cars electronics.
I've never done it before but that sounds like the way it's done.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Can't you buy yourself a set of winter wheels and tires, install TPMS put them on the car and then sync it with the cars electronics.
I've never done it before but that sounds like the way it's done.
Yes you can. I think the key point is here that unless you have a TPMS programming tool, it's incredibly annoying to program them everytime you switch between winter/summer wheels. If the GRC can hold two sets of sensor programming, then it becomes much easier.

Supposedly, the GR Yaris can program them from the infotainment screen. Found this info in a GRY thread: TPMS Wheel Sensors

·
Registered
15 WRX, 15 Sienna, 23 GR86
17 Posts
Yes you can. I think the key point is here that unless you have a TPMS programming tool, it's incredibly annoying to program them everytime you switch between winter/summer wheels. If the GRC can hold two sets of sensor programming, then it becomes much easier.

Supposedly, the GR Yaris can program them from the infotainment screen. Found this info in a GRY thread: TPMS Wheel Sensors
Oh nice, yeah I hope GRC has the same functionality. Even if it's a bit of a process every time the wheels are changed over, that would be totally cool if you never have to use a TPMS tool (meaning take it to the dealer or a shop for most people.)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh nice, yeah I hope GRC has the same functionality. Even if it's a bit of a process every time the wheels are changed over, that would be totally cool if you never have to use a TPMS tool (meaning take it to the dealer or a shop for most people.)
Autel also has a kit that comes with a TPMS tool and 8 sensors for $320. A bit pricey, but the tool can essentially do everything minus program non-Autel sensors.

·
Registered
150 Posts

I get it now thanks for the explanation my friend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think the key point is here that unless you have a TPMS programming tool, it's incredibly annoying to program them everytime you switch between winter/summer wheels.
Exactly why every TPMS vehicle I’ve own has been driven with the light on all winter. I didn’t even bother putting sensors on the snow set because reprogramming was more annoying than the light.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,988 Posts
Exactly why every TPMS vehicle I’ve own has been driven with the light on all winter. I didn’t even bother putting sensors on the snow set because reprogramming was more annoying than the light.
That's why it'll be cool if it's like the GRY and GR86. Doesn't really matter if you aren't going to run sensors on your track/winter setups. I'd prefer no sensor for those occasions anyway unless there's a benefit I don't know about

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's why it'll be cool if it's like the GRY and GR86. Doesn't really matter if you aren't going to run sensors on your track/winter setups. I'd prefer no sensor for those occasions anyway unless there's a benefit I don't know about
Indeed. If it was an easy setting change I would add the sensors to the winter wheels for sure. I just refuse to buy them if twice a year I need to have them reprogrammed. I put the snow tires on winter rims specifically to avoid a shop, reprogramming defeats the purpose.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Also on the topic of TPMS...

A few days ago I posted in another thread about how Tirerack guarantees a fit for 18x9.5+38 wheels for the GRC.

Today, I realized that when you're making tire/wheel packages on Tirerack, they don't ask if you want TPMS sensors added or not. This to me is significant because they ask this for every car that uses TPMS sensors. If you try creating a wheel/tire combo for any 10th gen Civic, they will NOT ask you to add TPMS sensors because Honda doesn't use traditional TPMS sensors; instead they use wheel speed sensors to compare the relative speed of each wheel to determine if one is flat.

Trying the same wheel/tire package combo on Tirerack for other cars, they ask if you want to add TPMS sensors for the 2023 GR Supra, 2022 Corolla hatchback XSE and 2023 Camry V6. On the other hand, new 2023 Toyota cars (i.e., the Sequoia and the BZ4X) do not have any options for these packages at this point in time.

I know the GRC platform is new, but what if there's a chance that Toyota uses a similar system on the GRC now? That would make it a huge relief for the people who get bothered by TPMS lights when changing wheels. Maybe Tirerack made some discoveries during the measuring session.

TL;DR - maybe there's a chance the GR Corolla doesn't use traditional TPMS sensors

21 - 40 of 56 Posts