Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

Snow Tires/Wheel Setup

104K views 578 replies 134 participants last post by  mikexay 
#1 ·
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Does anyone know what the smallest diameter wheel you can put on and still clear the caliper is? I would like to get a second set of wheels for my snow tires and some extra sidewall is nice. Also makes it nice when you go to do some SCCA style rallycross ;)

See less See more
#27 ·
Has there been any word on whether the GR Corolla will have TPMS switching capability like the GR86? Meaning you can code 2 sets of TPMS to the car and switch them in car settings/glove box TPMS button?

I couldn't find anything regarding TPMS mentioned in any press release info anywhere, so I assume no. But I haven't watched many YT videos where some lesser known factoids like that may reside.

Would be a shame if it doesn't get that.

#7 ·
Interesting @JimsGarageToys ...just noticing that. Those wouldn't work out to the same diam. I was just at the local dealership and the only Corolla hatch on the lot had 18's with tons...I mean tons of space between fr brakes and hub and fr brakes and rotors. I'm also wondering @robby_fd3s if 17's with 45 offset would work. I'd be willing to bet there is a Toyota 17 that would fit...

#39 ·
Also on the topic of TPMS...

A few days ago I posted in another thread about how Tirerack guarantees a fit for 18x9.5+38 wheels for the GRC.

Today, I realized that when you're making tire/wheel packages on Tirerack, they don't ask if you want TPMS sensors added or not. This to me is significant because they ask this for every car that uses TPMS sensors. If you try creating a wheel/tire combo for any 10th gen Civic, they will NOT ask you to add TPMS sensors because Honda doesn't use traditional TPMS sensors; instead they use wheel speed sensors to compare the relative speed of each wheel to determine if one is flat.

Trying the same wheel/tire package combo on Tirerack for other cars, they ask if you want to add TPMS sensors for the 2023 GR Supra, 2022 Corolla hatchback XSE and 2023 Camry V6. On the other hand, new 2023 Toyota cars (i.e., the Sequoia and the BZ4X) do not have any options for these packages at this point in time.

I know the GRC platform is new, but what if there's a chance that Toyota uses a similar system on the GRC now? That would make it a huge relief for the people who get bothered by TPMS lights when changing wheels. Maybe Tirerack made some discoveries during the measuring session.

TL;DR - maybe there's a chance the GR Corolla doesn't use traditional TPMS sensors

#50 ·
These are all studless winter tires correct? they will give up a lot of dry road performance in favor of snow and ice traction. I would imagine an owner of a GR corolla or any other sports car would probably be happier with the performance of a winter performance tire such as Blizzak LMs, Continental ContiWeatherContacts, Dunlop SP Winter Sports, etc unless maximum snow/ice traction is your goal. In my experience, a performance winter tire provide more than enough grip in moderate snow/slush when paired with AWD. Seeing that You're from Canada however i can imagine there might be a need for all out traction over sporty performance.

edit: I just clicked on your profile picture. I can see why you may be looking for maximum snow traction!! 😂

#64 ·
I thought I'd share my experience on snow tires, regarding the debate of performance winter tires vs winter tires.

A few years back I had the chance to drive a brand new Focus RS on stock OEM winter performance tires on a private circuit on ice, as part of a local marketing event. Although this car was very fun to drive, the traction on smooth ice was quite poor. I was able to do some very nice drifts, but acceleration / turning / bracking wasn't very fast. After my turn, I asked if I could do the same course with my own car, a modest Suzuki SX4 with some half worn studded Hakka 9 tires. It was night and day - I was able to go much faster and had better control. I also had a similar experience with an Audi RS4 which I had for about a year (before selling it because the maintenance fees were crazy). It was equipped with performance Pirelli Sottozero tires. On dry pavement, the grip was astonishing, even better than other cars I had with summer tires! However, in real snow or on ice, the traction was quite poor.

There is no "best" winter tire, it depends on where you live and what you prioritize. If you live somewhere where it doesn't snow often and you want good handling, then a performance winter tire would probably be best for you. If you have regular snow over several months a year (like where I live), and the temperature often oscillates above and below freezing, creating patches of ice (sometimes hidden under a thin layer of snow), then a good winter tire will provide much better traction, at the expense of dry handling. For even greater traction on pure ice, studded tires are the best, the variation in traction between various road conditions is much less pronounced.

#65 ·
I thought I'd share my experience on snow tires, regarding the debate of performance winter tires vs winter tires.

A few years back I had the chance to drive a brand new Focus RS on stock OEM winter performance tires on a private circuit on ice, as part of a local marketing event. Although this car was very fun to drive, the traction on smooth ice was quite poor. I was able to do some very nice drifts, but acceleration / turning / bracking wasn't very fast. After my turn, I asked if I could do the same course with my own car, a modest Suzuki SX4 with some half worn studded Hakka 9 tires. It was night and day - I was able to go much faster and had better control. I also had a similar experience with an Audi RS4 which I had for about a year (before selling it because the maintenance fees were crazy). It was equipped with performance Pirelli Sottozero tires. On dry pavement, the grip was astonishing, even better than other cars I had with summer tires! However, in real snow or on ice, the traction was quite poor.

There is no "best" winter tire, it depends on where you live and what you prioritize. If you live somewhere where it doesn't snow often and you want good handling, then a performance winter tire would probably be best for you. If you have regular snow over several months a year (like where I live), and the temperature often oscillates above and below freezing, creating patches of ice (sometimes hidden under a thin layer of snow), then a good winter tire will provide much better traction, at the expense of dry handling. For even greater traction on pure ice, studded tires are the best, the variation in traction between various road conditions is much less pronounced.
You should also check your local laws as not all places allow studded tires on roads.

#74 ·
Seems like most folks on here are planning on using the stock wheels for winter and upgrading to a lighter wheel for summer.

I have a decent working knowledge of tire tech, but I've never gotten into the aftermarket wheel thing too much. I was an off-road guy 15 years - the only aftermarket wheels I've bought were very base level wheels for use on an S4 and a CX-5. Each time, I kinda just bought a set that was JUST above the bottom on price. Nothing fancy.

I'm thinking I'll use my stock wheels for summer and get a winter set, but I certainly don't want to take the "not cheapest but almost" approach that I've done before. Any advice on how to start narrowing it down to a decent value, good quality wheel for winter? I'll end up putting either Blizzaks or Michelin Alpins on them.

Or.... from what I know, decent forged wheels are prohibitively expensive for me. BUT, is there a lightweight wheel of good quality that would end up being roughly the same price as a decent winter set? And be light enough for me to notice the different in unsprung mass in spirited driving in summer? This is a big blind spot for me, so I want to make sure I don't pay for a winter set roughly what I would have paid for a really good, lightweight summer alternative (using the stock wheels for winter like the rest of y'all are doing...)

#75 ·
Seems like most folks on here are planning on using the stock wheels for winter and upgrading to a lighter wheel for summer.

I have a decent working knowledge of tire tech, but I've never gotten into the aftermarket wheel thing too much. I was an off-road guy 15 years - the only aftermarket wheels I've bought were very base level wheels for use on an S4 and a CX-5. Each time, I kinda just bought a set that was JUST above the bottom on price. Nothing fancy.

I'm thinking I'll use my stock wheels for summer and get a winter set, but I certainly don't want to take the "not cheapest but almost" approach that I've done before. Any advice on how to start narrowing it down to a decent value, good quality wheel for winter? I'll end up putting either Blizzaks or Michelin Alpins on them.

Or.... from what I know, decent forged wheels are prohibitively expensive for me. BUT, is there a lightweight wheel of good quality that would end up being roughly the same price as a decent winter set? And be light enough for me to notice the different in unsprung mass in spirited driving in summer? This is a big blind spot for me, so I want to make sure I don't pay for a winter set roughly what I would have paid for a really good, lightweight summer alternative (using the stock wheels for winter like the rest of y'all are doing...)
I think I might just get a second set of the stock wheels for winter to be honest. I shopped around looking at rims and I tend to gravitate towards something that looks very similar to the stock wheel when I search so... might as well just get another set.

#86 ·
I've had good luck with my Hakka studded snows, three styles on WRX and Tacoma. Driving in snow a lot (there's 23" of snow in my yard now) I've not had any complaints for traction, even with powder coming over the hood. But I run a taller, narrower snow tire for clearance and traction and every fall there's a striking difference between the summer performance tire and the snows. The first highway drive on the snows always has me thinking what's all wobbly? Different tires for different uses, there's big compromises if you want best possible snow and ice traction.

Any news on a 17" wheel to clear those big front brakes? Or for that matter a space saver spare that would?

#89 ·
Toyota parts says the TPMS sensor is 42607-19005. You will not find this exact PN or anything purported to replace it anywhere. It’s also spec’d for a bunch of different Lexus, like RX 450h and UX 250h so just find whatever is listed for those vehicles on Tire Rack (the very common T6) or rock auto or whatever.