Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
I thought the Matrix was the Corolla hatchback of its time. Hence Toyota Corolla Matrix. Well lucky you, you're already in the right place if you want a GR Matrix :D
Thought the Martix was considerably smaller? Maybe I'm not remembering right. I think that would've been more comparable to the GRY than the GRC
The matrix was suppose to be a bigger Corolla for utility and things, since the Corolla got overall bigger the Cross is more of a modern ethos to that. Yaris is a Fit competitor and replaced the Starlet a long time ago.

· Registered
27 Posts
The matrix was suppose to be a bigger Corolla for utility and things, since the Corolla got overall bigger the Cross is more of a modern ethos to that. Yaris is a Fit competitor and replaced the Starlet a long time ago.
Ahhhh I see! Google images makes the Cross look so much bigger in comparison. My buddy had one back in HS and I remember it being a fun little car to get around in especially in the snow. We crammed in that mfer lol.

· Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
Ahhhh I see! Google images makes the Cross look so much bigger in comparison. My buddy had one back in HS and I remember it being a fun little car to get around in especially in the snow. We crammed in that mfer lol.
Oh yeah for sure, if you see a Cross in person it’s actually a lot smaller than people think. Kinda like seeing a Kona in person, just a raised hatch

· Registered
1992 Toyota Paseo
383 Posts
Would be interesting to see a version of this motor into a V6 or I6 platform put into a Taco or Tundra to compete with the Raptor and TRX. If they could double the cylinders and maintain the 100hp/cylinder, that would mean a 600hp truck. Maybe a twin turbo? Just thinking out loud. I am not a truck guy, and probably would really never own something like this. I just like fast moving vehicles.
I prefer SMOL cars. The smaller the better. I don't care about interior space. Let my S/O's car handle that. That is why the GR Yaris was the dream. How about go even smaller? GR Echo hatch?

· Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
524 Posts
Would be interesting to see a version of this motor into a V6 or I6 platform put into a Taco or Tundra to compete with the Raptor and TRX. If they could double the cylinders and maintain the 100hp/cylinder, that would mean a 600hp truck. Maybe a twin turbo? Just thinking out loud. I am not a truck guy, and probably would really never own something like this. I just like fast moving vehicles.
I prefer SMOL cars. The smaller the better. I don't care about interior space. Let my S/O's car handle that. That is why the GR Yaris was the dream. How about go even smaller? GR Echo hatch?
Would be cool to see a GR Tacoma....just so someone can take the motor and throw it in a GR86 😂

· Registered
310 Posts
I'd rather see them throw that hypothetical motor into a Supra.

· Registered
42 Posts
GR Camry. The need to use a revised Tundra V6 in a camry WITH AWD and MANUAL (also auto for people who can't drive). Cost 48-55k

GR MR2. One purest manual rwd model with the g16e-gts. Another with hybrid, awd and automatic (also needs to be a lot faster). Cost 32-45k

GR Supra. Revised heavily Tundra v6 engine, brand new chassis, manual and automatic DCT (hybrid option WITH more power and awd). Needs to weigh less than 3500/4000 lbs (base/hybrid), have over 400/550 hp (base/hybrid) and not have anything bmw. Cost 60-90k.

GR Celica. Use the gr86 chassis and drop in a rwd g16e-gts in it. Both manual and automatic versions (also possible awd hybrid automatic version). Cost 32-42k

GR Corolla. Same as is, revise with morizo gear set on all models. Revise cams/valve/valve springs for morizo to bump redline to 8k. Cost 37-52k.

GR Tacoma. Tundra v6 with 6 speed manual.

The hybrids need to add power directly to front wheels on the supra/mr2/celica and not connected to rear tires. I'm not sure how easy it would be to add power to another axle and still keep a manual transmission. Not seen anything like that, that I can remember. Otherwise, they'd have to be auto's.

· Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
756 Posts
GR Camry. The need to use a revised Tundra V6 in a camry WITH AWD and MANUAL (also auto for people who can't drive). Cost 48-55k

GR MR2. One purest manual rwd model with the g16e-gts. Another with hybrid, awd and automatic (also needs to be a lot faster). Cost 32-45k

GR Supra. Revised heavily Tundra v6 engine, brand new chassis, manual and automatic DCT (hybrid option WITH more power and awd). Needs to weigh less than 3500/4000 lbs (base/hybrid), have over 400/550 hp (base/hybrid) and not have anything bmw. Cost 60-90k.

GR Celica. Use the gr86 chassis and drop in a rwd g16e-gts in it. Both manual and automatic versions (also possible awd hybrid automatic version). Cost 32-42k

GR Corolla. Same as is, revise with morizo gear set on all models. Revise cams/valve/valve springs for morizo to bump redline to 8k. Cost 37-52k.

The hybrids need to add power directly to front wheels on the supra/mr2/celica and not connected to rear tires. I'm not sure how easy it would be to add power to another axle and still keep a manual transmission. Not seen anything like that, that I can remember. Otherwise, they'd have to be auto's.
Supra needs to remain an I6, they're so nice and smooth.

· Registered
2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
273 Posts

Camry is transverse. Absolutely no way that honker of an engine fits under the hood sideways. Toyota has pretty clearly shown that their non-sports cars are moving hybrid. I have expect this is the last generation of non hybrids across the board. Redesigns for Sienna, Venza, Crown have all been hybrid only. IF there were to be a GR Camry, I expect it would get some iteration of the Crown Platinum or RX500h drivetrain (330-365hp).

MR2 and Celica aren't happening in a naturally aspirated form. Probably not happening at all, IMO. Tacoma sport truck won't happen. The next generation trucks are going all in on offroading per the Trailhunter concepts. Supra will live on for 8 model years and then become a hybrid or EV depending where the battery tech is at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it remained a BMW joint venture like the 86 has remained a Subaru JV.

Hybrid manual transmissions are possible but they generally haven't been very good. Much better fit with SMG like Chevy is using for the new corvette.

/wet blanket

· Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,167 Posts
They already have TRD reserved for the trucks which should probably stay that way. Gazoo Racing now is what TRD use to be.

As far as GR models they should rename the GR86 and add a MR2 later on in my opinion.
Would be cool to see the X-Runner come back as a GR Tacoma though tbh

· Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,167 Posts
I'm shocked but also not shocked Toyota didn't take a stab at Raptor/TRX, especially with the Tundra trailers, but they're fairly small in the truck market afterall. At least they have the Trailhunters which should be cool but like I said in my comment above, I'd love to see a GR Tacoma as a X-Runner successor. We need more street trucks. Put the G16 in an small pickup with RWD and a 6 speed, and I'd eat that up

· Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
I'm shocked but also not shocked Toyota didn't take a stab at Raptor/TRX, especially with the Tundra trailers, but they're fairly small in the truck market afterall. At least they have the Trailhunters which should be cool but like I said in my comment above, I'd love to see a GR Tacoma as a X-Runner successor. We need more street trucks. Put the G16 in an small pickup with RWD and a 6 speed, and I'd eat that up
New taco is “supposedly” getting a hybrid 4 banger. If that system is dialed in a little bit it could be cool.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts