Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
265 Posts
I'd like to see something that fits in between the GR Corolla and the NA 2.0L Corolla. 2.5L hybrid (spec from Highlander/Sienna) or just a lower state of tune FWD G16 could fill that gap. Could also slap that in the sedan. I don't know if a GR Camry would make sense. There just seems to be an upper limit of what people will pay for a transverse drive train midsize sedan with a non-luxury badge. We haven't seen really anyone be successful in that market for some time.

· Registered
2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
265 Posts
GR Camry. The need to use a revised Tundra V6 in a camry WITH AWD and MANUAL (also auto for people who can't drive). Cost 48-55k

GR MR2. One purest manual rwd model with the g16e-gts. Another with hybrid, awd and automatic (also needs to be a lot faster). Cost 32-45k

GR Supra. Revised heavily Tundra v6 engine, brand new chassis, manual and automatic DCT (hybrid option WITH more power and awd). Needs to weigh less than 3500/4000 lbs (base/hybrid), have over 400/550 hp (base/hybrid) and not have anything bmw. Cost 60-90k.

GR Celica. Use the gr86 chassis and drop in a rwd g16e-gts in it. Both manual and automatic versions (also possible awd hybrid automatic version). Cost 32-42k

GR Corolla. Same as is, revise with morizo gear set on all models. Revise cams/valve/valve springs for morizo to bump redline to 8k. Cost 37-52k.

GR Tacoma. Tundra v6 with 6 speed manual.

The hybrids need to add power directly to front wheels on the supra/mr2/celica and not connected to rear tires. I'm not sure how easy it would be to add power to another axle and still keep a manual transmission. Not seen anything like that, that I can remember. Otherwise, they'd have to be auto's.
Camry is transverse. Absolutely no way that honker of an engine fits under the hood sideways. Toyota has pretty clearly shown that their non-sports cars are moving hybrid. I have expect this is the last generation of non hybrids across the board. Redesigns for Sienna, Venza, Crown have all been hybrid only. IF there were to be a GR Camry, I expect it would get some iteration of the Crown Platinum or RX500h drivetrain (330-365hp).

MR2 and Celica aren't happening in a naturally aspirated form. Probably not happening at all, IMO. Tacoma sport truck won't happen. The next generation trucks are going all in on offroading per the Trailhunter concepts. Supra will live on for 8 model years and then become a hybrid or EV depending where the battery tech is at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if it remained a BMW joint venture like the 86 has remained a Subaru JV.

Hybrid manual transmissions are possible but they generally haven't been very good. Much better fit with SMG like Chevy is using for the new corvette.

/wet blanket

1 - 3 of 3 Posts