Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

· Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
536 Posts
Is it true that one has to remove the engine to drop the trans? There is a brilliant technician in the UK called Williams Mobile Clutch service that drops transverse transmissions in a matter of hours. Check out his YouTube channel. The point is that I’ve not once seen a video of him doing this work while also taking out an engine.

Replacing diffs is involved, but I doubt that it is out of scope for some here.

If anyone has the PN for the front differential, please post it here.
I'm going off of experiences with other cars, I haven't looked at the process for a GRY/GRC but even "a matter of hours" is still going to get expensive fast when shop rates are $150/hr+ these days.

· Registered
517 Posts
Well, I don't know if this holds true for the torsen type, but I suspect it does. Jack up the rear end of the car off the ground, and with the engine off and the transmission in gear (parking brake off ) try to turn one wheel. If the other wheel turns in the opposite direction, that should indicate a non-LSD. If it's very hard, or impossible to turn, then it's probably an LSD. I know this method works for the clutch type LSD. I'm not 100% certain on the torsen type.

· Registered
222 Posts
Dude.. anyway, red painted calipers with GR logo is the most obvious sign as of release. I'm sure you'll have a chance to jack up a brand new car at the lot to turn every wheel by hand. If not, lift the rear end of car with back

· Registered
517 Posts
Dude.. anyway, red painted calipers with GR logo is the most obvious sign as of release. I'm sure you'll have a chance to jack up a brand new car at the lot to turn every wheel by hand. If not, lift the rear end of car with back
🖕
Unless it happens to be a Canadian spec car, which doesn't get red calipers under any circumstances.

· Registered
517 Posts
Ackchyually. Assuming we're all getting usdm spec cars, red gr painted calipers. Thanks for clarifying a spec the us will not be getting.
You do know people cross the border, right? The dealer I worked at was in Ohio. We'd have to do recalls on Canadian vehicles all the time. People buy vehicles and move. People buy vehicles across the border. Was there something about my initial response to the question that merited such a douchey answer from you?

· Registered
15 WRX, Sienna, GR86
276 Posts
Guarantee you people be painting those calipers! The spin test might not even work on open diffs as I heard they have a very weak clutch-type LSD function. @samagon mentioned it on another forum and I searched the term he used and found this:

If true, seems it would only be good for getting a little bit of power onto a wheel that's on ice, for example.

· Registered
222 Posts
You do know people cross the border, right? The dealer I worked at was in Ohio. We'd have to do recalls on Canadian vehicles all the time. People buy vehicles and move. People buy vehicles across the border. Was there something about my initial response to the question that merited such a douchey answer from you?
apologies. i was in the local jury office waiting to be assigned a case, and was dismissed so i'm pretty happy to be home now AND get the day off 😅. sounds like too much work importing from canada, but more power to the folks who do it. i dread to see the day custom painted calipers replicating OEM

· Registered
201 Posts
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I highly doubt someone in the US can buy a used car from Canada without that being disclosed (country of origin).

· Registered
201 Posts
The LSDs are standard on Canadian models. Ergo, there's no guess work to figure out if a Canadian car has LSDs. Assuming it's disclosed. Someone above countered that Canadian models don't have painted calipers, i.e. you can't use that as an indication of if the car has LSDs. The logic doesn't make sense because you'd know if it's a Canadian car or not.

· Registered
74 Posts
The Cusco front diff is LSD 1C7 V15 and runs $1800. Looks like the assy with case is 41301-52340 - $5,500. Maybe someone can look up just the diff part.

On a GRY forum they said you have to split the transmission case to get to the diff.

Supposedly you can buy a whole used transmission and just swap that.

Coming from drifting and the magnitude of ways to mess up parts on order / casings, in the future to anyone who reads this, be sure to always order what your car needs.

If your car was a base model open diff, ensure the aftermarket diff is designed for the open diff casing.

Also, installing a diff is not that difficult into a casing, but shimming and breaking the diff in properly without issue from local police / authorities will be your biggest challenge as most require you to do slow alternating figure 8’s for 30 minutes.

Added bonus, aftermarket clutch type differentials like KAAZ and Cusco will feel super clunky. Your car will “lurch” forward and you’ll feel the entire chassis rumble. 100% entirely normal. Keep this in mind that it will be rough on your chassis, drivetrain, tires, and overall wear and tear lifecycle.

I had a 2 way before for one of my S14 chassis builds and it’s really aggressive for the street. You can always remove some clutches when having the differential pressed in property and whatnot, but a 1-way / 1.5 way would be better for most people.

I think depending where I end up with this chassis, I may have a rear aftermarket differential. Kind of just waiting / paying the car off for a few years til I see parts I want.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This is the sort of conversation to save for people that buy these cars in 5-7 years' time. If you're buying this car now, pass on any allocation that doesn't include the PP. Incredibly short sighted to just accept one without it while this car is in production.
I see no reason for not having this conversation now. We build a knowledge base by asking questions and coming to answers together.

· Registered
40 Posts
The GRC awd system doesnt have a transfer in the old sense so my hope is that its not too much harder than a fwd like my FX to drop the trans. Ive done that so many times ive got it down to where i droped the trans twice in one evening because i installed the friction disc in backwards like an idiot! No need to remove engine.
the FX has a KAAz 1.5 in the front transaxle and it actually drives pretty good on street.
there is the business of setting bearing preloads and gear lash which is a pia and labor intensive because u need tonopen and close the case to do it.

· Registered
517 Posts
The GRC awd system doesnt have a transfer in the old sense so my hope is that its not too much harder than a fwd like my FX to drop the trans.
I don't know where you got the idea that this is a different system than what Toyota has been using for decades, but it's not. It is very much the same type of system that they've been using all along. There are some differences inside the transaxle itself, but the transfer design is still very much in line with what they've always used. All the torque-split magic occurs at the back of the car.

the FX has a KAAz 1.5 in the front transaxle and it actually drives pretty good on street.
there is the business of setting bearing preloads and gear lash which is a pia and labor intensive because u need to open and close the case to do it.
And the front differential is MUCH easier than the rear, because you don't need to set pinion depth or tooth contact pattern in a transaxle, but you will in the rear differential.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts