Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition
91 Posts
It’s due for a updated chassis after the new lineup is out for a few years.

The new chassis itself would just be used for all the different variants of Corolla for the market.

For the GRC all they would do is modify the new chassis again (extra welds/adhesive) and add the GR Four system with the G16e.
The TNGA platform will just get minor revisions for the next couple gens of Corolla. The changes to the next gen Corolla will be skin deep for the most part and they wouldn’t have any issue carrying over the G16 or GR-Four drivetrain. We might see a different look, but the hard points are going to live a lot longer than 1 generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
The TNGA platform will just get minor revisions for the next couple gens of Corolla. The changes to the next gen Corolla will be skin deep for the most part and they wouldn’t have any issue carrying over the G16 or GR-Four drivetrain. We might see a different look, but the hard points are going to live a lot longer than 1 generation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yup I agree.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
I think they are going to make it hydrogen powered, California invested in 100 hydrogen fuel stations and they state "Hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles are critical to the state’s goal of getting 1.5 million zero-emission vehicles on California roads by 2025."
I can't find a date on the hydrogen fuel stations thing. Do we know when they started that?

Unfortunately (or fortunately in a few cases), California tends to have a huge influence on what the rest of the country does when it comes to cars and other mass produced items. Most companies don't want to bother with a 49 state product and a Cali product, so they make a slightly watered down 50 state product.

Reactions: Wynorrific

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
468 Posts
I've seen one hydrogen car ever here. Oh wait, I've seen two but it might be same entity that owns it as it was first gen Mirai for a while, then second, but I haven't seen the first since. Chicken or egg problem, no one wants to buy a hyrdogen car if theres no where to fill it, no one want to build hydrogen stations if there are no cars. At least EV you can theoretically charge it at home. Maybe they'll show up in fleet vehicles? Kinda like how taxis in Japan are LP.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
I've seen one hydrogen car ever here. Oh wait, I've seen two but it might be same entity that owns it as it was first gen Mirai for a while, then second, but I haven't seen the first since. Chicken or egg problem, no one wants to buy a hyrdogen car if theres no where to fill it, no one want to build hydrogen stations if there are no cars. At least EV you can theoretically charge it at home. Maybe they'll show up in fleet vehicles? Kinda like how taxis in Japan are LP.
I have a feeling hydrogen will make it's breakthrough in long-haul transportation. 18-wheelers and the like. It'll be ready to replace fossil fuels long before our battery technology is good enough to efficiently replace them.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
I have a feeling hydrogen will make it's breakthrough in long-haul transportation. 18-wheelers and the like. It'll be ready to replace fossil fuels long before our battery technology is good enough to efficiently replace them.
What they need to do is figure out how to cut emissions on big transport (shipping) in general, then they can leave us alone. 😂

but they want to act like it’s the little guy

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
What they need to do is figure out how to cut emissions on big transport (shipping), then they can leave us alone. 😂

but they want to act like it’s the little guy
Like ryno said, it'd be good to make it hydrogen. Most or all truck stops could get hydrogen pumps for when truckers are resting

Reactions: ryno9100

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Like ryno said, it'd be good to make it hydrogen. Most or all truck stops could get hydrogen pumps for when truckers are resting
Hydrogen or EV trucks make more sense for the reason you shared. Probably cheaper to build stations at the trucks stops too rather then trying to build a infrastructure equivalent to gas stations today.

Then the average consumer can get EFuels and hybrids

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can't find a date on the hydrogen fuel stations thing. Do we know when they started that?

Unfortunately (or fortunately in a few cases), California tends to have a huge influence on what the rest of the country does when it comes to cars and other mass produced items. Most companies don't want to bother with a 49 state product and a Cali product, so they make a slightly watered down 50 state product.
California’s passenger vehicle emission standards have been adopted by 17 other states which together are probably about 1/2 of the US passenger vehicle market. There is no 49 state model any more. 2035 is still a very long ways off. There will need to be a great deal of additional innovation to get us to no ICE by then but California, the EU, and other places are headed that way.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
So a customer is gonna do what those shady dealers who should be doing msrp but marking it up?
So customer buys at msrp and makes money by selling it himself ?
Yeah or some one buys with ADM and wants to get even more than that which just skyrockets

·
Registered
2022 Toyota Sienna XSE | Celestial Silver
52 Posts
Yeah I can't blame them for it since it is a somewhat fairly easy quick buck but I just don't respect it myself. I'll let them do what they want but it just isn't for me. I do agree with the sentiment of making sure an enthusiast gets one. Like Jeonsa said, the GRY forums list a GRY on the forum first, then somewhere else but we know that may not happen stateside
Yes, this I can get behind. Let the fans of the car get a shot first. Because unfortunately a good number of these cars, especially all the limited models will end up in garages tucked away for the next auction.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
Yes, this I can get behind. Let the fans of the car get a shot first. Because unfortunately a good number of these cars, especially all the limited models will end up in garages tucked away for the next auction.
Yup...

I think Valve did this better than anyone else with the Steam Deck. They announced a time that you could put in a reservation, let you reserve one of a handful of models (3 in this case) and are delivering them in the order in which they were received. You had to put down a small deposit ($5 in this case) and could only have 1 per person.

It's still exploitable to a degree, but it cuts down on a LOT of scalping. Did I have to wait 4.5 months after the launch to get one? Yes, but I knew I was in line and that I was guaranteed to get my hands on one. It arrives today, in fact.

I wish Toyota would do something like this. Reservations, one per person with some way to authenticate you are who say you are so they can enforce the 1 per person deal, then build them and ship them in the order they were ordered... While we're at it, Sony and Microsoft could do the same with their consoles, nvidia with their GPUs, etc etc. Unfortunately, these companies profit on scalpers, because they're basically guaranteed sales.

·
Registered
122 Posts
People are going to pay ADM to be the first to do the YT reviews. Once that dust settles, next will be the flippers. If these are limited production, this car is going to be like the GT3's and go through multiple owners. It's the sad truth and people who want to just own and enjoy the car will have to take a seat... in the rear passenger delete kit. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
222 Posts
People are going to pay ADM to be the first to do the YT reviews. Once that dust settles, next will be the flippers. If these are limited production, this car is going to be like the GT3's and go through multiple owners. It's the sad truth and people who want to just own and enjoy the car will have to take a seat... in the rear passenger delete kit. :ROFLMAO:
Woah now, don't forget the "influencers" that'll wrap/slam the car and throw a dozen sets of wheels on it a week!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts