Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
253 Posts
One of the problems with the American tax system is that it is stupidly complicated. If you buy houses to flip, you would 100% be required to pay tax on the profits. If you sell your main residence, you're exempt up to a certain amount depending on your circumstances.

In the instance of a car being driven for several years, you are right. It's likely a wash (though if audited, if profits are made, you'll likely need to scramble for service / maintenance receipts to balance it out).

If you buy a brand new GRC and flip it in a month or two for a profit, there is no way maintenance expenses would cancel it out unless you sold it at cost.

At the end of the day, many file their taxes wrong - some as a mistake, some intentional (who actually reports their internet orders to pay sales tax?! I do, but most understandably don't), and some just don't know better.

If you're unfortunate enough to get audited, it won't be fun.

That is why people hate the IRS. They rather go after the poors to get that extra $500 in taxes, than to fight legal battles against those who are literally not paying their taxes that make 7+ figures. At the end of the day, you may never be audited. 🤷‍♀️ But officially...you would still be on the hook for taxes on the profits.
Wait till you hear about a 1031 exchange :LOL: rich get richer

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
We’ve went over this topic before. There will be resellers for sure, but I hope this forum ends up similar to the GR Yaris groups I’ve seen.

Whenever someone is about to sell the car, I see them post it in the forum first to give someone the opportunity. At the end of the day, it’s fair for anyone to move on and enjoy something else, but there are people who want the GRC as their “grail” vehicle to possibly pass on.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
Not many capitalists in here :LOL: I don't plan on flipping the car, I've been wanting an efficient and fun daily for quite a while. No shame to those that do tho, I can't blame anyone for trying to make a profit in this system. My only stipulation with selling/flipping cars like this is do your best to get it to an enthusiast, if you're charging over sticker make sure it goes to someone who will appreciate it.

Resale will largely depend on how long they decide to produce. If it gets 5 yrs, I see them following standard depreciation trends for a manual hot hatch, maybe increasing slightly decades down the road. If there's less than 3 yrs of production I expect it to follow cars like the RS, deprecating slightly while in production only to go near or over MSRP once cars are no longer produced.
I get the sentiment of people disliking the idea that someone would buy a limited item to turn around and make a profit from another consumer, but um... that's what this country was built on.

So it is a part of our lives and we all take part in it in various ways. It may not be as upfront as someone buying a GRC and immediately flipping it, but something as simple as running a vending machine is the exact same thing. You buy Skittles for this price and sell them for another price to a consumer. The convenience is what many will argue you are paying for, and the convenience of buying a GRC without the Toyota dealership shenanigans will come at a price.

But outside of all that... I personally am not looking to flip this car (Id just park my money in an R33/R34 Skyline and wait) the bonus of the car being desirable is that we all won't lose money on it as we own, drive, and modify it. That is the real benefit here because that is usually not the case. Now down the line, if any owner does need to sell, we get the benefit of the car has held its value, where you can essentially drive it for free.

Also, everyone can do as they please, I'm personally buying it for me to enjoy. What anyone else decides to do is also perfectly fine with me and their choice.
Yeah I can't blame them for it since it is a somewhat fairly easy quick buck but I just don't respect it myself. I'll let them do what they want but it just isn't for me. I do agree with the sentiment of making sure an enthusiast gets one. Like Jeonsa said, the GRY forums list a GRY on the forum first, then somewhere else but we know that may not happen stateside

·
Registered
14 FRS
38 Posts
Hte

Hate to break it to you, but you won't be getting one if you are that low on a list, I don't care how large the dealership is.
No idea when Longo stopped their list but it's in the hundreds.

Don't think your statement is fair considering we don't know dealership allocations, pricing and future production qtys. Everything is speculation at this point.

·
Registered
199 Posts
No idea when Longo stopped their list but it's in the hundreds.

Don't think your statement is fair considering we don't know dealership allocations, pricing and future production qtys. Everything is speculation at this point.
its been covered about how many toyota dealerships there are vs the number of GRC being released. Regardless of dealership size the likelihood of Toyota allocating 50 + to one dealership is next to none. Im sorry but hes just being upfront.

·
Registered
14 FRS
38 Posts
its been covered about how many toyota dealerships there are vs the number of GRC being released. Regardless of dealership size the likelihood of Toyota allocating 50 + to one dealership is next to none. Im sorry but hes just being upfront.
I get that but just because you're not getting the first MY doesn't mean you're "never getting one". That's the opposite of being upfront, as you say.

Everyone on this forum is obsessed with getting the first MY I'm not even sure they realize the life cycle of a vehicle. Realistically, this car is going to be around for 5 to 7 MYs or longer with incremental updates each year already mapped out and new special editions to come.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
Everyone on this forum is obsessed with getting the first MY I'm not even sure they realize the life cycle of a vehicle. Realistically, this car is going to be around for 5 to 7 MYs or longer with incremental updates each year already mapped out and new special editions to come.
Most of us realize that. Most of us would just rather not wait to get one. Lol. I fully expect Toyota to make this car for 5 years, barring any legislative/safety interference. I still want a first MY.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Being #50 on the list isn't the end of the world. Some of the folks in front of you are on multiple lists. Some will move on to something else before their number comes up. Some will have a change in circumstances and won't be in a position to buy. If they honor their list, I expect you'll be offered a chance to buy before they've sold 30.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Being #50 on the list isn't the end of the world. Some of the folks in front of you are on multiple lists. Some will move on to something else before their number comes up. Some will have a change in circumstances and won't be in a position to buy. If they honor their list, I expect you'll be offered a chance to buy before they've sold 30.
A lot of people will cancel their orders as well

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
468 Posts
Most of us realize that. Most of us would just rather not wait to get one. Lol. I fully expect Toyota to make this car for 5 years, barring any legislative/safety interference. I still want a first MY.
Im not obsessed with getting a first MY, im willing to wait. But Im not as optimistic of it lasting 5 years. But then i didnt expect the FRS/GT/GR86 to still be going. But to me the GRC is even more niche and im bit worried that there will be a big drop in sales after initial couple years.
Theres been a number of enthusiast Toyotas that lasted only a couple/few years. FJ, Corolla XRS, FX16. The Celica Alltrac was around for quite a while though, helped by it being in WRC.
To major public, you want a Toyota sports car now, you get either the 86 or a supra. You want bad weather vehicle, you get a SUV.The GRC will occupy a enthusiasts enthusiast niche. Vehicles like the Miata/MX5 has survived for so long because it has broader mainstream appeal. Once the all the enthusiasts who want one get a GRC, will there be broader appeal to keep fueling sales?

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Im not obsessed with getting a first MY, im willing to wait. But Im not as optimistic of it lasting 5 years. But then i didnt expect the FRS/GT/GR86 to still be going. But to me the GRC is even more niche and im bit worried that there will be a big drop in sales after initial couple years.
Theres been a number of enthusiast Toyotas that lasted only a couple/few years. FJ, Corolla XRS, FX16. The Celica Alltrac was around for quite a while though, helped by it being in WRC.
To major public, you want a Toyota sports car now, you get either the 86 or a supra. You want bad weather vehicle, you get a SUV.The GRC will occupy a enthusiasts enthusiast niche. Vehicles like the Miata/MX5 has survived for so long because it has broader mainstream appeal. Once the all the enthusiasts who want one get a GRC, will there be broader appeal to keep fueling sales?
I mean what were the STI and Type R sales? Type R sold around 40,000 cars right? From a business standpoint, creating a sports offering based off of a compact/economy car makes more sense then a sports coupe, which is actually pretty niche. Unlike the Yaris, the Corolla still uses the same chassis just with some additions.

I can see it having a standard lifecycle.

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
257 Posts
How far along in it's projected lifecycle is the base Corolla? Since they share a chassis the GRC is basically jumping in partway along so it won't have as long of a run as most models right?

·
Registered
222 Posts
How far along in it's projected lifecycle is the base Corolla? Since they share a chassis the GRC is basically jumping in partway along so it won't have as long of a run as most models right?
I believe the first Corolla Hatchback was MY2019. Previously it was the Corolla iM but I think that was a leftover from the Scion days.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
It’s due for a updated chassis after the new lineup is out for a few years.

The new chassis itself would just be used for all the different variants of Corolla for the market.

For the GRC all they would do is modify the new chassis again (extra welds/adhesive) and add the GR Four system with the G16e.

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
239 Posts
The E210 is about halfway through its life cycle. Not only that, but hatchback sales aren't that popular.

Furthermore, automotive regulation is quickly pushing towards electrification/hybridization. I don't see there being another generation of this car, at least not how it is now.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic. I'd guess it'll be in production a few years and then finish production.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
The E210 is about halfway through its life cycle. Not only that, but hatchback sales aren't that popular.

Furthermore, automotive regulation is quickly pushing towards electrification/hybridization. I don't see there being another generation of this car, at least not how it is now.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic. I'd guess it'll be in production a few years and then finish production.
Just means the next gen GRC is going to be hybrid or hydrogen. We've already seen both a hybrid and hydrogen G16 setup

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts

All I’m saying is the GRC has more headroom to continue then what others think. Especially compared to other performance products. Yeah hatches don’t sell that well but compared to a sports coupe?

But if this car only had a 5ish year lifecycle, I would understand that too. It would be a similar fate to other sporty Corollas.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I get that but just because you're not getting the first MY doesn't mean you're "never getting one". That's the opposite of being upfront, as you say.

He didn’t say “never” getting one.

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
239 Posts
All I’m saying is the GRC has more headroom to continue then what others think. Especially compared to other performance products. Yeah hatches don’t sell that well but compared to a sports coupe?

But if this car only had a 5ish year lifecycle, I would understand that too. It would be a similar fate to other sporty Corollas.
This is true. I think we all hope it will live a long and fruitful life. We'll see if California will allow drivetrains like this to stick around a bit longer.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts