Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Eric on RevMatchTV he is reporting that first year production numbers for the GRC will be closer to 3000 units than 5500 or more. I was worried about this happening. He talks about it at the end of this video.

·
Registered
21 CTR
21 Posts
I don't thing this is too unexpected honestly. IIRC there was a known production delay on the GR Yaris which probably impacted the Corolla as well. Still, with existing shortages ~3000 units isn't terrible. And with the auto market starting to correct we may see production issues start easing as more inventory sits in dealer lots.

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
If the number of Circuit Edition stays the same it's of no effect to me. And if they are marking them up as much as reported, the Core's might just sit on lots anyway.
Yeah you should be alright for now since the CE is slotted to come in spring anyways.

But there are some dumb people buying these cars over MSRP. Lol. We’ll see soon though

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
448 Posts
I don't thing this is too unexpected honestly. IIRC there was a known production delay on the GR Yaris which probably impacted the Corolla as well. Still, with existing shortages ~3000 units isn't terrible. And with the auto market starting to correct we may see production issues start easing as more inventory sits in dealer lots.
I still maintain that 3000-5000 cars a year over 4 years amounts to quite a lot of cars, and should satisfy the niche market's demand for this clsss of car, and then some.

·
Registered
21 CTR
21 Posts
Fingers crossed that toyota doesn't cut production like Hyundai did with the veloster
I highly doubt they would. The 1st Gen Veloster was not well received, even beyond the general suspicion Hyundai cars are met with. And even though the 2nd Gen was improved, and the Veloster N was a legit budget competitor to the Type R, that stain stuck and they sold like crap. To the point that they sat at dealers for months.

In contrast, the GRC will sell as fast as they build them, at least once the massive ADM dealers have theirs sitting around and collecting dust. And the normal Corolla sells well, including the hatchback.

·
Registered
46 Posts
For comparison, does anyone know past annual production numbers for CTR, Golf R, Focus RS?
I can’t say for certain, but each FK8 CTR is a numbered build. I bought mine new, and it was a later ‘18 production car, and its numbered plaque is 19,778 (that is worldwide production). So, by inference, (since they started building them in ‘17) I’d say roughly 10k CTR built per year (at least in the first two full years of pre-pandemic production)

EDIT: just looked into it further. Looks like ~48k FK8 produced worldwide from ‘17-‘21

·
Super Moderator
2,944 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the total worldwide production of the GRC supposed to be 8,000 units per year?
After 2023 there was suppose to be 8000 per year worldwide with a majority going to NA.

But first year was suppose to be around 6600 (1500 CEs, 5100ish Cores) with a majority coming to NA and that’s now supposedly cut down to around 3500-4000ish units for just the Core, probably all models will follow as well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I still maintain that 3000-5000 cars a year over 4 years amounts to quite a lot of cars, and should satisfy the niche market's demand for this clsss of car, and then some.
I agree, everyone is freaking out because they won't be able to get it in the first year- of course, that's not surprising. There's a bunch of hype surrounding the car still, demand is higher now than it will ever be. Just gotta be patient and ignore all the markups that will occur in the first year.

·
Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
448 Posts
I agree, everyone is freaking out because they won't be able to get it in the first year- of course, that's not surprising. There's a bunch of hype surrounding the car still, demand is higher now than it will ever be. Just gotta be patient and ignore all the markups that will occur in the first year.
Reviews have been coming in that don't necessarily live up to the sky-high expectations that some people (and marketing) had been led to believe, so I suspect interest will start cooling off as well.

·
Registered
2017 Focus RS, 1988 Celica Alltrac/GT-Four
26 Posts
Unless something dramatic happens, I expect this is going to stay marked up through it's entire production outside of a few MSRP only dealerships. Even the Focus RS kept markups on new cars all the way through 2018 and that was pre-pandemic.

Type R has a much higher production and has been marked up since release.

I was lucky to get my RS for 29k lightly used at the bottom of the car market in 2019. After watching the Type R market in the last few years, I'm not sure getting a GR Corolla is fesible if you aren't already on a list for MSRP.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts