Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Australia they have a thing called the outback which is red dirt that stretches on a bit!

As I won't be getting snow any time soon in Perth I am hoping to get on loose surfaces.

I will be totally PPF the car as a minimum and looking for mud guards.

I am thinking that an uprated under tray/floor and possibly a air filter upgrade to keep the red dust out rather than focusing on best air flow.

What else should I be considering?

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
In Australia they have a thing called the outback which is red dirt that stretches on a bit!

As I won't be getting snow any time soon in Perth I am hoping to get on loose surfaces.

I am thinking that an uprated under tray/floor and possibly a air filter upgrade to keep the red dust out rather than focusing on best air flow.

A snorkel ;)
Kidding, of course, but I don't really see much else. A metal undertray will be pretty good in case you hit anything but other than that: you already mentioned the air fiter, and some good all-season tires. Good suspension will help keep everything riding nice while keeping good contact with the road and make sure you either upgrade bushings or be ready to service them a lot more as well as service any boots a lot more often. Tires that are skinnier and taller are better for loose surfaces but if you don't want a dedicated set, you will be fine with the stock size on all-seasons

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts
A snorkel ;)
Kidding, of course, but I don't really see much else. A metal undertray will be pretty good in case you hit anything but other than that: air down your tires before you go on the dirt, you already mentioned the air fiter, and some good all-season tires. Good suspension will help keep everything riding nice while keeping good contact with the road and make sure you either upgrade bushings or be ready to service them a lot more as well as service any boots a lot more often. Tires that are skinnier and taller are better for loose surfaces but if you don't want a dedicated set, you will be fine with the stock size on all-seasons
I'd be surprised if we don't get some kind of metal undertray to begin with. The GR86 has metal protecting the front of the underside of the car, and the GRC is a little more "rally-bred" than the GR86.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
I'd be surprised if we don't get some kind of metal undertray to begin with. The GR86 has metal protecting the front of the underside of the car, and the GRC is a little more "rally-bred" than the GR86.
I know the piece you're talking about. The WRX and STi also have that small metal undershield as well all for the trans. We'll get one similar to those I'm sure but the very front one(engine undershield) is usually plastic that I'd wanna make metal

Reactions: ccrook06

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
212 Posts
A plan for washing the underside of the car really well and lots of spare air filters. The rallycross guys can chime in but I think a lot of them change theirs every event.

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
363 Posts
Somewhere in the myriad interviews and such, I remember them saying they tested off road, but from factory it does not have underbody protection plates, so thats something to consider.
If stock tires, do NOT lower pressure, you're not rock crawling. When we rallycross, we overinflate. If you're doing stuff at speed, rolling the bead is a very real problem.
Mudflaps help a bunch too.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
Somewhere in the myriad interviews and such, I remember them saying they tested off road, but from factory it does not have underbody protection plates, so thats something to consider.
If stock tires, do NOT lower pressure, you're not rock crawling. When we rallycross, we overinflate. If you're doing stuff at speed, rolling the bead is a very real problem.
Thank you for the clarification on the pressures(y), edited my original post
I deflate them for sand so I thought it'd be similar but that's also pretty slow moving stuff

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
363 Posts
A plan for washing the underside of the car really well and lots of spare air filters. The rallycross guys can chime in but I think a lot of them change theirs every event.
Oh yeah, i have a k&n cone filter and also have it wrapped with their prefilter, basically reticulated foam. I killed one of my 4age’s and im pretty sure it was because of the previous owner mystery cone filter. When i took the intake apart there was fine dirt on the inside past the filter.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yep, not to mention that small rocks and get into the bead and deflate your tire or worse. @Taroroot, aside from overinflating, is there any way you prevent rocks from getting in your bead? I was considering getting tape or something on my wheels to deflect rocks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yep, not to mention that small rocks and get into the bead and deflate your tire or worse. @Taroroot, aside from overinflating, is there any way you prevent rocks from getting in your bead? I was considering getting tape or something on my wheels to deflect rocks.
I eventually went to a dedicated set of alloy wheels with rally tires, still inflated high. Our courses are very bumpy and rocky. I debeaded and bent a steelie with rally tire. Going to decent quality alloy rims with rally tires i havent had too much problems. In fact last time i hit something super hard i thought for sure tire would be messed up, nope, trans housing and mount cracked off, driveshaft popped loose, starter wire wrapped around it and shorted out! But wheel was ok.

·
Registered
27 Posts

In regards to PPF, know that in some cases, people have blown through the PPF due to the force of the rocks being kicked up and hitting the PPF. It probably won't reach the paint, but your PPF is potentially going to get gashed and pitted, and it's only replaceable, not repairable.

If you dont plan on going off road and crazy all the time, and just once a month or something, you could look into topping it with temporary clear bra similar to https://www.trakktape.com/. Xpel has some also, but pricey. It'll still be a cheaper alternative than replacing the actual clear bra. Unless you're doing the PPF install yourself, then maybe it's not as big of a deal.

Some Track guys who have PPF top it off with temporary clear bra, and rip it off after they're done with their track days and the cars go back to daily life.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Heck, guys at autox here (the tarmac where they have autox has sections where the asphalt is starting to crumble) sometimes use blue painters tape for the event and peel off after. As a gag one guy covered his entire Vette, i forget how many rolls it took.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
Heck, guys at autox here (the tarmac where they have autox has sections where the asphalt is starting to crumble) sometimes use blue painters tape for the event and peel off after. As a gag one guy covered his entire Vette, i forget how many rolls it took.
I wish you had a photo, that sounds amazing

·
Registered
147 Posts
Oh man last week I saw an S2000 with a bunch of painters tape on the front end. They did some creative trimming which made it look kinda like the Spoon Racing livery:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe my Corrola hatchback came standard with a metal undertray

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, I will be getting a second set of rims/rally tyres. I bought the rattler in preparation! Will wait for undertray upgrade and snorkel 😷

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
I believe my Corrola hatchback came standard with a metal undertray
The front undercover is plastic with the trans undercover being metal. A lot of cars do it like this so correct me if I'm wrong on that with the Corolla hatch

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts
The front undercover is plastic with the trans undercover being metal. A lot of cars do it like this so correct me if I'm wrong on that with the Corolla hatch
Meanwhile, my ST had that really crappy cloth/cardboard crap. Literally ripped itself off at around 85k miles. Pieces of it were hanging off, and it finally caught something on the road heavy enough to tear a good chunk of it away. I think it was a piece of metal from construction that I had to run over because I didn't have enough time/space to swerve sideways

1 - 20 of 21 Posts