Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
101 - 120 of 127 Posts

· Registered
'99 STi swapped RS Coupe, '13 BMW 335iS, '23 GRC Core w/PP and Tech
13 Posts
I got a core with tech and performance pack but not cold weather, I can't imagine Toyota made separate wiring harnesses, do you think that I could buy the wheel with the heating element in it, the dash button, and whatever fuse/relay and it'll have a taped up hidden harness connector for that stuff and be PnP?

· Registered
517 Posts
I got a core with tech and performance pack but not cold weather, I can't imagine Toyota made separate wiring harnesses, do you think that I could buy the wheel with the heating element in it, the dash button, and whatever fuse/relay and it'll have a taped up hidden harness connector for that stuff and be PnP?
I can't say definitively, but I believe the answer is no. I went to the parts catalog for the dash wiring harness and found about 40 different specs for the dash wiring harness, depending on many option possibilities. There are five different part numbers for the dash wiring harness. My loaded core takes an 82141 -1XP60. There is also a 1XP20, 40, 50, and 70, so I don't think the odds are in your favor. Additionally, I suspect you're looking at least $1,000 to do this conversion even if the wiring harness is the same. Those steering wheels are woefully expensive, generally speaking. You're also going to need a different spiral cable since the part numbers are different for with or without heated steering wheel. There's a few hundred bucks more. There's also a dedicated relay for steering wheel heater which probably isn't very expensive and the switch probably isn't very expensive either. The part number for my heated core steering wheel is a 45100-52700-C2. I'll bet that's well over $500 just for the steering wheel. But again, I don't think your wiring harness will support it. Sorry Charlie.

· Registered
'99 STi swapped RS Coupe, '13 BMW 335iS, '23 GRC Core w/PP and Tech
13 Posts
I can't say definitively, but I believe the answer is no. I went to the parts catalog for the dash wiring harness and found about 40 different specs for the dash wiring harness, depending on many option possibilities. There are five different part numbers for the dash wiring harness. My loaded core takes an 82141 -1XP60. There is also a 1XP20, 40, 50, and 70, so I don't think the odds are in your favor. Additionally, I suspect you're looking at least $1,000 to do this conversion even if the wiring harness is the same. Those steering wheels are woefully expensive, generally speaking. You're also going to need a different spiral cable since the part numbers are different for with or without heated steering wheel. There's a few hundred bucks more. There's also a dedicated relay for steering wheel heater which probably isn't very expensive and the switch probably isn't very expensive either. The part number for my heated core steering wheel is a 45100-52700-C2. I'll bet that's well over $500 just for the steering wheel. But again, I don't think your wiring harness will support it. Sorry Charlie.
Well darn, I appreciate your response though.

I was hoping that it would be a little easier or more economical to do so.

I'm in FL so typically no big deal but my back pain sure would have appreciated the seats, and when I visit my dad up in the Carolinas, my hands would have appreciated the not freezing wheel.

· Registered
517 Posts
Well darn, I appreciate your response though.

I was hoping that it would be a little easier or more economical to do so.

I'm in FL so typically no big deal but my back pain sure would have appreciated the seats, and when I visit my dad up in the Carolinas, my hands would have appreciated the not freezing wheel.
I won't say I'm a fan of them, but aftermarket heated seats are always an option.

· Registered
202 Posts
Surprisingly, my $50 eBay heated seat kits are still working in my Tacoma and WRX after a few years & they're not to hard to put in. I'd do it again, but factory is better. I would not mess with the steering wheel, not worth it. And thankfully the outside mirrors are already on the rear defrost circuit.

· Registered
517 Posts
Surprisingly, my $50 eBay heated seat kits are still working in my Tacoma and WRX after a few years & they're not to hard to put in. I'd do it again, but factory is better. I would not mess with the steering wheel, not worth it. And thankfully the outside mirrors are already on the rear defrost circuit.
I think that with meticulous installation, even a lot of those cheap kits will last a very long time. Back in the mid 80s, my sister had a Corolla wagon that did not have air conditioning but she really wanted to add it. By the time she made that decision, the factory kits were no longer available. The only thing available were some aftermarket kits. My shop Foreman told me I should avoid those aftermarket kits like the plague because they were total junk. Since she had no other option we went ahead and bought one of those. I installed it myself, and 20 years later, that car went to the junkyard with the same air conditioner still in it and functioning. I never so much as had to do a partial recharge on it.

· Registered
517 Posts
Interestingly this website says that part number is discontinued and is the suede wheel for the GRMN Yaris
There were a bunch of part numbers for steering wheels, but they just say things like trim number 2 or trim number 3. That was the only one that didn't say leather, it said suede. They don't say core or circuits or Morizo. I will look again in the morning in case I missed something.

101 - 120 of 127 Posts