Votes: 27 32.1%
  • Nah, the GRC will be overall disappointing

Votes: 2 2.4%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(as we are still a bit out from actual reviews) Do you think the GRC will actually match the hype?

I can't remember the last time a new Toyota was as universally hyped as the GRC, Supra included. I would even argue that the most recent Type R had less fanfare.

People LOVED the GR Yaris and going off of that many hope it's just like it but more useable. But obviously no one has driven the GRC, yet.

This is likely a useless thread but let's have it anyways as it's been on my mind. Just curious.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
(as we are still a bit out from actual reviews) Do you think the GRC will actually match the hype?

I can't remember the last time a new Toyota was as universally hyped as the GRC, Supra included. I would even argue that the most recent Type R had less fanfare.

People LOVED the GR Yaris and going off of that many hope it's just like it but more useable. But obviously no one has driven the GRC, yet.

This is likely a useless thread but let's have it anyways as it's been on my mind. Just curious.
I’ve said it a bunch of times, I think this car will be great but I think people are going to over exaggerate it because of the hype.

It was already done with just the ride alongs so I can only imagine what they’ll say when they get behind the wheel.

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
I’ve said it a bunch of times, I think this car will be great but I think people are going to over exaggerate it because of the hype.
This.

I'm somewhere between "Yes, it will meet the hype" and "It will likely disappoint me in some metrics"

While I am hyped about this car, I think a lot of people are forgetting this is a Corolla. This is a souped up econobox. Which is exactly what I want, but not what some people are seemingly hoping for. I also have the advantage (like several of our members) of currently driving a souped up econobox (Focus ST), so my perspective is probably a little more in line with the GRC.

Point is. It'll probably have some budget car related short comings, but I think it'll live up to the hype in the 'fun to drive' category, and that's the most important one to me. As long as the cup holders don't actively impeed my ability to shift (Damn you Ford) I'll be fine.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
455 Posts
We'd have to quantify the hype which I don't think is possible. Generally speaking tho, will most people enjoy and be thrilled with this vehicle and will it retain value due to low volume and high demand? I definitely think so.

I'd say a step below an S2000 in regard to hype and actual notability.

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
351 Posts
As long as the cup holders don't actively impeed my ability to shift (Damn you Ford) I'll be fine.
It looks like they're in the elbow zone the same as the Focus, which isn't great but it's still better than Toyotas earlier designs with things like cupholders that have you punch your drink and hit buttons on the radio/spill it everywhere any time you shift into an odd numbered gear.

Fingers crossed for a door pocket for a water bottle at least.

·
Super Moderator
720 Posts
It looks like they're in the elbow zone the same as the Focus, which isn't great but it's still better than Toyotas earlier designs with things like cupholders that have you punch your drink and hit buttons on the radio/spill it everywhere any time you shift into an odd numbered gear.

Fingers crossed for a door pocket for a water bottle at least.
The facelift focuses were that way. I have a prefacelift. Don't mind how dirty it is, but this is my setup. Anything bigger than a 12oz can blocks my forearm.
Vehicle Car Steering part Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
455 Posts
The facelift focuses were that way. I have a prefacelift. Don't mind how dirty it is, but this is my setup. Anything bigger than a 12oz can blocks my forearm.
View attachment 3072
That's rough 😩 Yea the RS had them lined vertically rather than horizontal. Could make it work with the cupholder that was further back, but still got in the way.

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
251 Posts
My expectations as an owner of a current Corolla HB XSE:

Ride: a little stiffer but hopefully doesn’t lean in the turns too much, I’ve been surprised by how much performance Toyota‘s lean in turns on previous cars (’91 MR2 Turbo, ‘01 Celica GTS, etc.) Hopefully it handles more like the GR86 with more poise in the twisties. The jury is still out on road noise for daily drivers, as sound deadening may have been removed for space or weight and we don’t know what sounds the new power train will produce in the cabin. By comparison, the Corolla HB XSE is very comfy on long trips And surprisingly quiet That being said I am curious about the manually adjustable seat and getting the right position, the Corolla HB XSE has a power electric drivers seat.

Power: being that the engine displacement is so small, I don’t have my hopes up, but I am hoping that they engineered this new version of the engine to have low end grunt and turbo assisted upper rev range. It appears this may be the case based on the low max revs. This set-up is typically fun passing on the highway as well. I really don’t enjoy the engines that you need to wring out to get the performance (2001 Celica GT-S comes to mind)

0-60: I’m expecting somewhere between 4.6-5.2. I’d still except 5.5 with a disappointed frown though. Toyota has often times said that the Golf R was their benchmark, but you can’t find a 0-60 time for the manual Golf R anywhere, only the automatic. I don’t see the GRC moving as quickly 0-60 as the Golf R auto…..so likely in the 5 sec range.

Interior and Exterior fit and finish: I expect something similar to the Corolla, not Lexus. Keep in mind that the Corolla is actually really nice, so I don’t feel like this is a downgrade. One thing of note is that I don’t expect the digital display to have the cool graphics like you would see on the Corolla GR Sport or the CTR where they incorporate graphics of the finished vehicle in the background. The digital display seemed to be a late addition and was just being added in when the GRC came to the US, so I would expect the same basic display we saw at the reveal. To be honest, I’m just happy to have one. Still waiting to see the ”sport fabric” seats in the cores, CE seats look good. And even though I would like to see a fancier key fob, I’m expecting to see a standard Corolla key fob with a GR logo replacing the Corolla logo - it’s not a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think it will meet the hype as people know, at the end of the day, it's still a Toyota Corolla.

For me- it checks most boxes as it's a 300 HP manual pocket rocket from arguably the most reliable car company of all time. It has 4 doors. It can squeeze 5 people, and you can haul around suitcases if needed.
I don't care much for "track" related stuff as I do for a joy ride on the freeway plus the versatility and reliability of the brand, because that's what I'll be using it for as a daily driver.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Similar ideas here:

Exterior: Personally I like the exterior of a regular Corolla HB. May need a big rear wing to match the extra flares, but I guess there would be numerous aftermarket products if I cannot get it stock

Interior: I used to drive the hybrid sedan version. The interior is definitely not the best, but it is Okay. And the new digital cluster is another big improvement.

Powertrain: I am just curious about a 3-cyl engine with 300hp. And it sounds more interesting with awd. Other than those, I don't have expectations like new lap records or beating anyone in a drag race.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I’ve driven them, they are good, It just won’t handle like a GR Yaris like people are trying to make it seem. Lol.

It’ll be great though.
In the worst case where I feel the GRC is that incompetent as a “sports car” (or a hot hatch or whatever category), I guess I could still resell it and get most (if not all) my money back. I have a long wishlist for my next car; and if it were not for the GRC, I would have moved towards something with more comfort and luxury for daily use :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2022 Tundra, 2022 718 Spyder, 1994 Honda Civic Coupe
26 Posts
I’ve driven them, they are good, It just won’t handle like a GR Yaris like people are trying to make it seem. Lol.

It’ll be great though.
That's what I'm hoping for, when the Tundra is in for service they gave me a Corolla as a loaner, caught me by surprise cause I've never thought Corolla has become this good, loves to rotate, steering is light but this is not the hot version so...

That loaner drive is the reason why I'm here😂

·
Registered
30 Posts
I’ve had my fair share of hot hatches, they suit my needs and driving style nicely. I just hope for a decent price($40Kish) and no hoops to get it. I am ready for a new car but if things don’t meet my expectations, my ‘19 Golf R manual is still satisfying to me.
If the GRC falls through for whatever reason, a MK8 R would be next on my list.

·
Registered
1991 Mustang GT, 2010 Nissan Versa Hatchback
76 Posts
Not sure about others but while I am very hyped for this car I think it will meet my expectations for sure. That said my expectations are fairly low. I own a 30 year old pony car and a 10 year old base model econobox with crank windows and a broken aux cable.

All I really want is a hatchback (my favorite design style) with standard modern comforts (bluetooth, power windows) that has a bit more passing power than my 120 HP 4 banger daily. I think the GRC is already a shoe in for me. I'm also choosing it for its fuel economy (or else I'd probably just go get an S550) and Toyota reliability (hopefully but the G16 seems solid so far).

I just want to buy my first new car and have something sporty and fun to drive, nothing more or less.

·
Super Moderator
2,451 Posts
Not sure about others but while I am very hyped for this car I think it will meet my expectations for sure. That said my expectations are fairly low. I own a 30 year old pony car and a 10 year old base model econobox with crank windows and a broken aux cable.

All I really want is a hatchback (my favorite design style) with standard modern comforts (bluetooth, power windows) that has a bit more passing power than my 120 HP 4 banger daily. I think the GRC is already a shoe in for me. I'm also choosing it for its fuel economy (or else I'd probably just go get an S550) and Toyota reliability (hopefully but the G16 seems solid so far).

I just want to buy my first new car and have something sporty and fun to drive, nothing more or less.
I think that’s the right mindset for the car. I just can’t stand the “this thing is going to revolutionize hot hatches” type mentality. 😂

1 - 20 of 43 Posts