Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yep, those wheels will give you 21mm less clearance on the inside and poke 5mm more so you might need to wait and see if they clear.
I'm not sure how you arrived at those numbers, but I do now believe the 18x8.5+30 is an accurate size for OEM. Given that the XSE hatchback wheels are 18x8+40 with a 225/40/18 tire, it's not unreasonable to think that the GR Corolla with wider fenders and bigger brakes would run a 18x8.5+30 from factory on a 235/40/18.

This is new territory for me since I've primarily had experience with STI's and Type R's where the common 18x9.5+38 sizes are the sweet spot. I'm thinking this size of wheel would be a difficult fitment to clear calipers and suspension without at least a 5mm spacer.

Design also matters. Whereas the oem GRC wheels have straight spokes from the center to the edge of the wheels, wheels like mine have more concavity on the backside of the spokes to allow for bigger brakes

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm not sure how you arrived at those numbers, but I do now believe the 18x8.5+30 is an accurate size for OEM. Given that the XSE hatchback wheels are 18x8+40 with a 225/40/18 tire, it's not unreasonable to think that the GR Corolla with wider fenders and bigger brakes would run a 18x8.5+30 from factory on a 235/40/18.

This is new territory for me since I've primarily had experience with STI's and Type R's where the common 18x9.5+38 sizes are the sweet spot. I'm thinking this size of wheel would be a difficult fitment to clear calipers and suspension without at least a 5mm spacer.

Design also matters. Whereas the oem GRC wheels have straight spokes from the center to the edge of the wheels, wheels like mine have more concavity on the backside of the spokes to allow for bigger brakes
I used a wheel offset calculator. I use them whenever I'm buying wheels to make sure I know exactly how new wheels will fit.

·
Registered
2019 Corolla Hatchback SE CVT
12 Posts

It's simple math once you look into it. For every inch wider you go for the same offset, you lose 12.7mm suspension clearance and poke out 12.7mm outside (1 inch = 25.4mm). Since it's a 38mm and not a 30mm, you add the 8mm to get 20.7mm, but round it up to 21mm closer to the suspension (higher offset, more towards the suspension) and subtract 8 from the outside, to get it poke out 4.7mm more, rounded to 5mm. Conversely If it was 22 instead you subtract the 8mm, so you get 4.7mm, rounded to 5mm, more towards the suspension, but add the 8 on the outside so it would poke 20.7mm more out, rounded to 21mm.

So when I mentioned an 18x9.5 et30 or et22 would fit better for coilover clearance, it's because you would only be 12.7mm closer to the suspension, but poke out 12.7mm more (18x9.5 et30, offset same as factory wheels) but et22 would give you 4.7mm closer to the suspension, but poke out 20.7mm more than the factory wheels.

But all I'm saying is that for 18x9.5 et38 with coilovers will be very close to the suspension. You will get a more suspension clearance on factory style struts.

Big brake caliper clearance is a totally different conversation.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The non circuit pack GR Yaris maybe. The Circuit pack Yaris comes with forged wheels, which is more in line with the Morizo wheels
Correct, which is the answer to the question since they asked about the core/CE wheels (cast Enkei)
The high performance Edition or whatever they call it Package on the GRY has forged BBS, similar or same as GRC Morizo, that someone weighed at 18.5lb.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts