Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Lol as a mkv Supra owner this car was a hot topic on the Supra forum. After the recent drag race video it’s honestly really sad. I expected so much more and even the tune on the z forum has changed from “the new z will wipe the floor with the new Supra” to “well it’s a different kind of car etc etc” and as others mentioned 10k difference between trims and it’s still pushing 3.0 Supra money before markups. The whole point of the Z was to compete with the 2.0 Supra and even if you COULD get a base Z at sticker then it’s still no lsd etc. how can you even consider giving a car 400hp and not include an lsd

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Lol as a mkv Supra owner this car was a hot topic on the Supra forum. After the recent drag race video it’s honestly really sad. I expected so much more and even the tune on the z forum has changed from “the new z will wipe the floor with the new Supra” to “well it’s a different kind of car etc etc” and as others mentioned 10k difference between trims and it’s still pushing 3.0 Supra money before markups. The whole point of the Z was to compete with the 2.0 Supra and even if you COULD get a base Z at sticker then it’s still no lsd etc. how can you even consider giving a car 400hp and not include an lsd
The love and hype for the car is honestly everywhere. Before any numbers were released, the selling point was it being full Japanese. Then the selling point was its full Japanese with 400 hp, while being cheaper then the Supra.

Now the big turn off (like for most overly hyped cars) is the official announcement of price. lol.

People will still buy the car but that's kinda what people get overhyping everything.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I think $41k starting for the Z seems like an alright deal to me? At least, when you consider how hard it is to make a car like this at this time (although we do seem to be spoiled for choice right now).

But holy moly, the price bump to the Proto Spec is insane. Hopefully the Circuit won't be that bad 😬😬

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts
I think $41k starting for the Z seems like an alright deal to me? At least, when you consider how hard it is to make a car like this at this time (although we do seem to be spoiled for choice right now).

But holy moly, the price bump to the Proto Spec is insane. Hopefully the Circuit won't be that bad 😬😬
Agreed. I think $41k for the sport and $51k for the performance ain't bad considering it's 100% Nissan and made during times when sports cars don't sell

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Agreed. I think $41k for the sport and $51k for the performance ain't bad considering it's 100% Nissan and made during times when sports cars don't sell
I mean you’re getting more then the LSDs, you get a carbon fiber drive shaft and Rays wheels.

You can definitely tell they had/have some 45k type trim with just the LSD and big brakes though. Seems like the shortage is killing everything

·
Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
38 Posts
Everyone should go watch the SavageGeese video on the Z that just came out a couple of days ago. Whether you’re interested in buying a Z or not. It truly captures a great shot of the current status of performance cars in this current age.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know the new Nissan Z is not exactly a direct competitor with the GR Corolla, but I was wondering if anybody has considered the new Z for their next car?
400hp not too shabby, looks like a bargain.

Not gonna lie, I'm loving it!!! It looks modern and classic at the same time (don't know how to explain it). I really like that red/black contrast for the new Z. An to top it off, you know the Nissan Z is fast when a Z06 owner says it so :ROFLMAO:

https://www.youtube.com/create_channel?upsell=comment

·
Registered
22 Posts
It honors its heritage for sure.
Maybe honors Renault. Renault's cost cutting influence is seen everywhere in the car. Running a chassis whose roots trace back to the 350z, parts bin interior, no active dampers, and they cheaped out on the differential (seriously no locking diff on a 400hp car? And a $10k package for a non-active diff?). Even down to the Bridgestone tires -- excusable on the base trim but not a $10k upgrade package.

Not to mention the Mercedes auto transmission. Wish it was a true Japanese car.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Maybe honors Renault. Renault's cost cutting influence is seen everywhere in the car. Running a chassis whose roots trace back to the 350z, parts bin interior, no active dampers, and they cheaped out on the differential (seriously no locking diff on a 400hp car? And a $10k package for a non-active diff?). Even down to the Bridgestone tires -- excusable on the base trim but not a $10k upgrade package.

Not to mention the Mercedes auto transmission. Wish it was a true Japanese car.
That’s crazy man, appreciate the take.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That’s crazy man, appreciate the take.
It's not crazy really. Renault is the majority stakeholder in Nissan and thus dictates a lot of what they do. It's long been agreed upon Nissan's problems are down to the mismanagement by Renault.

The Nissan 240Z changed the reputation of a whole country | Revelations with Jason Cammisa | Ep. 24 - YouTube

After watching Cammisa's video on the 240z. The Supra actually might be closer in heritage to the original 240z than the Z is. Nissan co-developing with another company to convert a 2-seat convertible to a 2-seat coupe and transplanting a straight-six engine with German roots. Sounds familiar.

I wonder if that video will wake some people up that collaboration has always been in the roots of Japanese sports makers. Doesn't make the car any less Japanese!

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
It's not crazy really. Renault is the majority stakeholder in Nissan and thus dictates a lot of what they do. It's long been agreed upon Nissan's problems are down to the mismanagement by Renault.

The Nissan 240Z changed the reputation of a whole country | Revelations with Jason Cammisa | Ep. 24 - YouTube

After watching Cammisa's video on the 240z. The Supra actually might be closer in heritage to the original 240z than the Z is. Nissan co-developing with another company to convert a 2-seat convertible to a 2-seat coupe and transplanting a straight-six engine with German roots. Sounds familiar.

I wonder if that video will wake some people up that collaboration has always been in the roots of Japanese sports makers. Doesn't make the car any less Japanese!
Eh sure man. 😂

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's a bit of a shame tbh.

If value is all you seek, then a Camaro and Mustang both come with more power, an LSD, and is cheaper than the base Z. If you option up the Z to Performance trim, the Supra is 250 lbs lighter, comes with active dampers and an active differential, and the B58 which has proven to be more reliable than the VR30.

If you want a true Japanese sports car with no European influence, your only option is the GR86/BRZ twins.

The base Z really should have came in at $38-40k with an LSD and then $45-48k for a premium trim. How they didn't make this happen when the chassis is decades old at this point with an engine whose development was already paid for by Infiniti products and the re-used interior, I don't know. I understand Renault is trying to steer Nissan back into profitability but I think the US pricing is a miss. I did see the Canadian pricing and it's much more competitive.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,766 Posts

If value is all you seek, then a Camaro and Mustang both come with more power, an LSD, and is cheaper than the base Z. If you option up the Z to Performance trim, the Supra is 250 lbs lighter, comes with active dampers and an active differential, and the B58 has Toyota's stamp of approval for reliability where as I don't really trust a Nissan/Renault motor (numerous failures on the Q50/Q60 forums).

The base Z really should have came in at $38-40k with an LSD and then $45-48k for a premium trim. Otherwise, they're just better options elsewhere.
Not to mention, we have yet to see what the manual Supra will do to the pricing.

·
Registered
58 Posts

If value is all you seek, then a Camaro and Mustang both come with more power, an LSD, and is cheaper than the base Z. If you option up the Z to Performance trim, the Supra is 250 lbs lighter, comes with active dampers and an active differential, and the B58 which has proven to be more reliable than the VR30.

If you want a true Japanese sports car with no European influence, your only option is the GR86/BRZ twins.

The base Z really should have came in at $38-40k with an LSD and then $45-48k for a premium trim. How they didn't make this happen when the chassis is decades old at this point with an engine whose development was already paid for by Infiniti products and the re-used interior, I don't know. I understand Renault is trying to steer Nissan back into profitability but I think the US pricing is a miss. I did see the Canadian pricing and it's much more competitive.
And a Camaro is cheaper (the interior is terrible quality imo) for an lt1 with brembo’s it’s south of 40k and weighs about the same with 50 more hp. If a GRC doesn’t work out, I may start looking that direction 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
And a Camaro is cheaper (the interior is terrible quality imo) for an lt1 with brembo’s it’s south of 40k and weighs about the same with 50 more hp. If a GRC doesn’t work out, I may start looking that direction 🤷🏻‍♂️
That’s a good backup.

the only real selling point of the Z is it’s a Nissan. Pretty much been the general consensus among reviewers. Matt Farah gave his take on the whole thing that made sense, otherwise it doesn’t perform as good as other products. Most of my friends who love the Z like the new car which is cool. Glad it exists, never been a Z fan myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea that's the caveat. Although reviews of the Nissan Z haven't been kind to its interior either. You can see trim pieces carried over from the 350z, many of which are common touch points.

Personally if I'm looking at a sports coupe around the $41k price point it would be a Mustang GT Premium, it doesn't perform as well as the Camaro's Alpha platform but I prefer the visibility and a DOHC engine. If I'm looking at north of $50k, a base Supra 3.0 - only now since a manual is coming out.

Renault really messed up with the US pricing. They could have easily fixed it by giving the base trim a locking differential instead of trim-locking it behind a $10,000 upgrade. Part of that Performance trim upgrade is supposed to be performance tires but Renault still managed a way to cheap out on them as seen in the Hagerty drag race video.

·
Registered
113 Posts
That’s a good backup.

the only real selling point of the Z is it’s a Nissan. Pretty much been the general consensus among reviewers. Matt Farah gave his take on the whole thing that made sense, otherwise it doesn’t perform as good as other products. Most of my friends who love the Z like the new car which is cool. Glad it exists, never been a Z fan myself.
There are people out there that still thinks being a Nissan is a good thing? Wtf are they smoking? Or have they been living under a rock for the past 3 decades?

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
There are people out there that still thinks being a Nissan is a good thing? Wtf are they smoking? Or have they been living under a rock for the past 3 decades?
It’s simpler than that. Matt Farah said it best on the Smoking Tire.

When you purchase a car from a certain manufacturer, you do it with the intention of buying whatever that brand has to offer and whatever characteristics that come with it. Good or bad.

I’m personally not a fan of Nissan but people do love the brand for better or worst. They love whatever nameplates they have whether that be the Z line, GTR, Silvia etc. Usually fans of a particular brand want it to be built by the manufacturer.

For example, It’s been a huge marketing/selling point for the GR Yaris and Corolla. The whole building a “full Toyota sports car”

41 - 60 of 67 Posts