Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Due to the totality of Nissan's line having absolutely terrible recent reliability problems (due to the Renault merger I believe), I and many others I've talked to won't buy a Nissan anymore....I guess we'll have to see if anything has changed....

·
Registered
223 Posts
Due to the totality of Nissan's line having absolutely terrible recent reliability problems (due to the Renault merger I believe), I and many others I've talked to won't buy a Nissan anymore....I guess we'll have to see if anything has changed....
The main source of Nissan’s issues has been the Jatco CVTs. I’d definitely avoid cars with them at all costs, but the stick and 9 speed in the Z should be alright. I never read about either of them having any issues in the 370z.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
The main source of Nissan’s issues has been the Jatco CVTs. I’d definitely avoid cars with them at all costs, but the stick and 9 speed in the Z should be alright. I never read about either of them having any issues in the 370z.
I've seen some pretty nasty things about the MT in the more recent Z lines. I'm really hoping the new Z is a turning point for them.

·
Registered
2020 X3M Competition
84 Posts
Cooling was an issue I was aware of
Cooling, brakes and transmission seemed to be the biggest issues. I imagine the manual transmission will be the same but hopefully the clutch issues have been dealt with. It's a very old chassis so I don't expect handling to be considerably different from the 370Z as it's going to be quicker with an updated interior/exterior. It's not going to be a revelation or anything and more of a modernizing of an old car and likely not as good overall as the GR Supra. I consider Nissan the Chrysler of Japanese automakers so it's one of those things if you want to own a bit of a lesser brand for nostalgic reasons. Hopefully they keep the price point low enough to make it compelling.

·
Super Moderator
1,653 Posts
Cooling, brakes and transmission seemed to be the biggest issues. I imagine the manual transmission will be the same but hopefully the clutch issues have been dealt with. It's a very old chassis so I don't expect handling to be considerably different from the 370Z as it's going to be quicker with an updated interior/exterior. It's not going to be a revelation or anything and more of a modernizing of an old car and likely not as good overall as the GR Supra. I consider Nissan the Chrysler of Japanese automakers so it's one of those things if you want to own a bit of a lesser brand for nostalgic reasons. Hopefully they keep the price point low enough to make it compelling.
The price is probably going to be the biggest selling point. If they have a decent packaged one around 45k, it should do alright.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Z also has a lot of heritage, which matters to some people. It’s undoubtedly an icon. I’m personally rooting for Nissan and Infiniti to get their shit together. There was a time not all that long ago when they put out some pretty cutting edge cars. The original G35 essentially beat the 3 series at its own game, which was wildly impressive coming from a Japanese manufacturer…and the 300 ZX/later the 350 Z were pretty impressive for their eras. The XTerra will always be cool to me as well.

I’m sure I’ll catch some flack for this, but the original FX SUVs had some character too, and sold really well. Sporty SUVs were in their infancy back then and that model really pushed the performance and design envelopes forward.

…but then Ghosn was put in charge and everything turned into blobs with CVTs. They definitely deserve all the shade in the word for their 2010s BS, but it would be cool if they found a way to recapture what made them great in the past.

·
Super Moderator
537 Posts
Sporty SUVs
Jeep Trackhawk or bust.

I'm kidding, but if you want a FAST SUV, that's about your best bet. No SUV handles well, but that thing 0-60s in 3.5 seconds. My old boss had one, and used to let me drive it to customer sites. He always complained I wasn't giving it enough gas.

·
Registered
2020 X3M Competition
84 Posts
Jeep Trackhawk or bust.

I'm kidding, but if you want a FAST SUV, that's about your best bet. No SUV handles well, but that thing 0-60s in 3.5 seconds. My old boss had one, and used to let me drive it to customer sites. He always complained I wasn't giving it enough gas.
The Porsche Macan handles very well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The Z also has a lot of heritage, which matters to some people. It’s undoubtedly an icon. I’m personally rooting for Nissan and Infiniti to get their shit together. There was a time not all that long ago when they put out some pretty cutting edge cars. The original G35 essentially beat the 3 series at its own game, which was wildly impressive coming from a Japanese manufacturer…and the 300 ZX/later the 350 Z were pretty impressive for their eras. The XTerra will always be cool to me as well.

I’m sure I’ll catch some flack for this, but the original FX SUVs had some character too, and sold really well. Sporty SUVs were in their infancy back then and that model really pushed the performance and design envelopes forward.

…but then Ghosn was put in charge and everything turned into blobs with CVTs. They definitely deserve all the shade in the word for their 2010s BS, but it would be cool if they found a way to recapture what made them great in the past.
Since when did the G35 ever beat the 3-series from the same era? If you got that info from those early reviews, sorry to say but those reviews were stage, the later non-rigged reviews found out it still doesn't drive as well the 3-series. Also, the only thing that's truly impressive about the 350Z even for its time is its hp/$ ratio, the reviewers that actually test high performance cars properly pretty much shat on it for being an understeering pig, brakes that fade too easily, engine coolant and oil temperatures getting dangerously high, the VLSD basically working just like an open differential, not having good feedback about what the car is going to do and how much grip is left.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yup. It’s a combination of the supply chain issues and manufacturers realizing that scarcity makes it easier for them to sell cars and charge more for them…Toyota could definitely make more GRCs than they are, and I’m sure Nissan could make more Zs if they really wanted to.

But why would they? The less they make the more desirable they are and the more they/their greedy dealerships can charge for the ones that do make it out of the factory. Everyone wins except the customers of normal means 😥 It doesn’t matter at all to the companies because they’re printing money. Nor does it matter to John Rich, who will gladly pay 15k over asking to have THE FIRST (x) so they can mothball it.

But folks like us? We’re stuck bearing the brunt of it, and it’s unfortunate. Relatively affordable enthusiast cars are a dying breed, so snatch one up while you can. Just don’t pay a markup, because fuck the dealerships that pull that BS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know the new Nissan Z is not exactly a direct competitor with the GR Corolla, but I was wondering if anybody has considered the new Z for their next car?
400hp not too shabby, looks like a bargain.
Looked like a bargain until the performance trim is another 10k on top for brakes and the essential LSD. Exciting to see these last cars being made before everything is full electric but disappointing where the economy/market is to pull the trigger on anything right now.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts