Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

Registered
2008 FJ, 2022 GR Supra, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Hella disappointing from a practicality POV, but if I had to pick between battery (in rear) or spare, I'd pick battery. Major ding against practicality (it's a hatch!) but one can always toss a spare in the back themselves!
Or pick up some crossbars and a roof basket to toss it up top 馃槀 馃

Registered
Or pick up some crossbars and a roof basket to toss it up top 馃槀 馃
Come now, if its going exterior it's gonna be a swing style rear gate fitment.

Also great video, loved the historical tie ins. Though your lack of enthusiasm for the Circuit Edition came as a downer to me, as I would definitely track mine and it sounds like it's boring on track. 馃槙

Registered
2006 Corolla XRS
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Hella disappointing from a practicality POV, but if I had to pick between battery (in rear) or spare, I'd pick battery. Major ding against practicality (it's a hatch!) but one can always toss a spare in the back themselves!
Waiting for the GR Rav4 Spare holder accessory:
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Come now, if its going exterior it's gonna be a swing style rear gate fitment.

Also great video, loved the historical tie ins. Though your lack of enthusiasm for the Circuit Edition came as a downer to me, as I would definitely track mine and it sounds like it's boring on track. 馃槙
I wouldn't say its boring! Its really actually quite well set up in terms of balance for most people. Very practical, safe understeer balance without being pushy. I think if it rotated a little more easily then it would be even faster though, and more fun. Not to say that a little alignment work wouldn't take care of that. I think a little bit of toe out in the rear might actually complement the car really well.

Registered
@Guff, I haven't had a chance to watch all of the review videos, but I'm trying. Work is brutal at the moment.

Can you tell us if the GR Corolla has the same tendency to turn on the hazards when ABS kicks in during spirited driving? I've seen countless YouTube videos of it happening damn near every corner while braking in the GR Yaris.

Super Moderator
@Guff, I haven't had a chance to watch all of the review videos, but I'm trying. Work is brutal at the moment.

Can you tell us if the GR Corolla has the same tendency to turn on the hazards when ABS kicks in during spirited driving? I've seen countless YouTube videos of it happening damn near every corner while braking in the GR Yaris.
I'm not guff, but I think that's a safety regulation for cars overseas.

Registered
Something old, I hope to be upgraded to something newer
@Roalco @ccrook06 The FL FoST/RS has an 18.7' turn radius. 5.5m is 16.5'. Looks like we get an extra 2.2ft off our turn radius. That said, I've read that the PFL FoST is worse than the FL, so if you have a 2013-2014, it might be even better. I can't find exact numbers for the PFLs.

Thanks Guff!
Sorry to disappoint, but 5.5m is 18ft 0.5in. Still, a 36-foot turning circle is pretty decent I think...I can't see any way the manual means that 18ft is the diameter though it's written that way.
(An MGB apparently has about a 32ft diameter turning circle, and it's a much smaller, RWD car.)

Registered
Something old, I hope to be upgraded to something newer
So what did you think of the gearing and pedal spacing @Guff ?
The old WRX I've driven has a bit of a ridiculous gap between first and second gear that makes shifting smoothly without burning clutch or taking a long time hard. And it seems the pedals in the GRC aren't set up the best for rev-matching downshifts.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
So what did you think of the gearing and pedal spacing @Guff ?
The old WRX I've driven has a bit of a ridiculous gap between first and second gear that makes shifting smoothly without burning clutch or taking a long time hard. And it seems the pedals in the GRC aren't set up the best for rev-matching downshifts.
Pedal spacing sucks, just like all modern Toyotas. Since the unintended acceleration fiasco, they don't take any chances.

It does not! I think that is some Euro regulation or something.

Registered
@Roalco @ccrook06 The FL FoST/RS has an 18.7' turn radius. 5.5m is 16.5'. Looks like we get an extra 2.2ft off our turn radius. That said, I've read that the PFL FoST is worse than the FL, so if you have a 2013-2014, it might be even better. I can't find exact numbers for the PFLs.

Thanks Guff!
Had a 2013. Turning radius was like 30 feet. Was embarrassing doing 3 point turns during uturns.

Registered
@Guff Absolutely loved the history and insight you鈥檝e shared, thank you!
Did you get a chance to test and see if the basic driving nannies, like lane keep assist and such, stayed off after restarting the car?
Any further info about the difference between the traction control modes (short press for Expert mode vs long press for ??? mode)?

Just as a random curiosity, any chance a donut sized spare could fit next to the battery if some of the foam liner underneath was removed?

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Did you get a chance to test and see if the basic driving nannies, like lane keep assist and such, stayed off after restarting the car?
Any further info about the difference between the traction control modes (short press for Expert mode vs long press for ??? mode)?

Just as a random curiosity, any chance a donut sized spare could fit next to the battery if some of the foam liner underneath was removed?
I had pretty limited street time so I'm afraid I don't have answers for you for most of that. The Traction was already off on the track cars so I didn't bother pressing it to see how it worked.

I highly doubt a spare would fit next to the battery tho. Just not that much space back there.

Registered

You鈥檒l have to turn the nannies off every time you start the car. They reset once you shut it off.

Perhaps aftermarket will solve. ODB-II reader and a couple of radio buttons or check boxes unchecked. But I wouldn鈥檛 bet on it.

You may be able to mod under that rear floor to fit a doughnut. A number of people did that on the RS but it did raise the floor up doing so. And the GRC is already a little limited back there to begin with. I do hate the trend and prefer a doughnut and tools. You just never know.

Registered
I wonder if someone could fab up a tailgate mounted swing out spare carrier. I like taking several thousand mile road trips, and that's not happening without a spare.

I wouldn't say its boring! Its really actually quite well set up in terms of balance for most people. Very practical, safe understeer balance without being pushy. I think if it rotated a little more easily then it would be even faster though, and more fun. Not to say that a little alignment work wouldn't take care of that. I think a little bit of toe out in the rear might actually complement the car really well.
But most people don't actively track vehicles. If you lift will the front end tuck and/or rear rotate around a bit? Just want something more spry and lively than my GTI.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I wonder if someone could fab up a tailgate mounted swing out spare carrier. I like taking several thousand mile road trips, and that's not happening without a spare.

But most people don't actively track vehicles. If you lift will the front end tuck and/or rear rotate around a bit? Just want something more spry and lively than my GTI.
Yes, If you lift you can get the rear to move a little. Helps if you turn in a little bit later and harder too.

Registered
鈽 1991 Celica GTFour RC 鈽 2000 Grand Cherokee 鈽
I do hate the trend and prefer a doughnut and tools. You just never know.
If I want to use it for TSD events I'll need to have at least a doughnut, though I'd prefer a full size spare. As long as I can somehow get one back there securely (so it's not a missile in a crash) I'll be happy.

The ground clearance is a welcome surprise too, it's higher than the BRZ used by the guy who sets the routes around here so I should be safe.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts