Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On August 20th, I went online @ CarMax.com and proceeded to have a Tesla Model S shipped from the CarMax Dulles location in Virginia to the CarMax Brandywine, Maryland location.

Later that day on the 20th I received a call from a woman Cassidy who worked for CarMax. She helped me arrange a day/time to test drive the vehicle.

The vehicle arrived at the Brandywine location on the 21st, but stated it required some Post shipping quality checks. This this fine and acceptable.

On the 25th I received a call from Cassidy stating that the vehicle was ready and I stated that I would like to test drive the vehicle on the 28th a Sunday.

Come August 28th I arrive and speak with a very nice lady who checks me in, we do the normal procedure of providing insurance, license and signing all necessary paperwork to test drive the vehicle.

I head outside to wait as the customer service rep brings the vehicle around. It takes 5-10 minutes but finally she pulls up front. As she opens the door for her to get out/for me to get in here comes either the store manager or sales manager. He states his name is Michael. Michael proceeds to tell me that because the vehicle is over 60k I am unable to test drive it. This is odd because having done the process online surely that would’ve been flagged, or Cassidy who had already sent me paperwork on the OTD cost would’ve informed me. Michael proceeds to show me a document which states that cars over 60k are not allowed to be test drive alone. I state that this is fine and that either he or the sales rep is welcome to come along. Michael then tells me no, due to Covid CarMax guidelines state all test drives must be solo. This is weird because there’s no mask requirement nor is anyone in the store wearing masks and all plexiglass dividers have been taken down.

Later on after calling other CarMax locations within the state none of them seem to have an issue with a sales associate going on a test drive.

I do not know if this is because of the color of my skin, but there was something very wrong in the way I was treated. I’m almost 30 and have never been treated in such a way.

I have video of the interaction and am considering filing a discrimination suit.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It probably is more about them trying to cover up an issue with the vehicle over anything. It sounds like they bought time by telling you about the "post shipping quality inspection" and probably didn't actually get the vehicle fixed in that time window. Lady up front likely didn't know it but the manager may have known the situation.

Everyone loves to run straight to lawyers when things don't go their way. Don't be that person. Contact CarMax corporate and explain the story there first. Of course, walk away from that vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm surprised they refused to do any test drive at all. I helped a friend buy a Kia Stinger from them and while it's no Model S, they had no issue letting both of us take it around the block unsupervised. I've never seen a price limit on test drives, either, supervised or otherwise.
Same.

I am okay with them coming along and the associate who was friendly enough appeared willing. The manager came out of nowhere after signing for it and snatching the keys. Recently a friend was looking into buying a MX5 and we went to Carmax by his house. There we witnessed a guy test driving an F80 M3. Which is almost certainly over a 60k car in this market.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It probably is more about them trying to cover up an issue with the vehicle over anything. It sounds like they bought time by telling you about the "post shipping quality inspection" and probably didn't actually get the vehicle fixed in that time window. Lady up front likely didn't know it but the manager may have known the situation.

Everyone loves to run straight to lawyers when things don't go their way. Don't be that person. Contact CarMax corporate and explain the story there first. Of course, walk away from that vehicle.
Possibly, but that seems like an easier sell. Better to tell someone hey something is wrong we need to fix, than to effectively kick someone out the store. Effectively what the manager stated is they aren’t allowed to give test drives on any car over 60k

·
Registered
99 Posts
After seeing the sheet. It's possible that this particular manager is one of those "by the books" guys and other locations or other managers look the other way or maybe do not enforce that rule? It's all speculation at this point. I'd still contact corporate as your next move.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
On August 20th, I went online @ CarMax.com and proceeded to have a Tesla Model S shipped from the CarMax Dulles location in Virginia to the CarMax Brandywine, Maryland location.

Later that day on the 20th I received a call from a woman Cassidy who worked for CarMax. She helped me arrange a day/time to test drive the vehicle.

The vehicle arrived at the Brandywine location on the 21st, but stated it required some Post shipping quality checks. This this fine and acceptable.

On the 25th I received a call from Cassidy stating that the vehicle was ready and I stated that I would like to test drive the vehicle on the 28th a Sunday.

Come August 28th I arrive and speak with a very nice lady who checks me in, we do the normal procedure of providing insurance, license and signing all necessary paperwork to test drive the vehicle.

I head outside to wait as the customer service rep brings the vehicle around. It takes 5-10 minutes but finally she pulls up front. As she opens the door for her to get out/for me to get in here comes either the store manager or sales manager. He states his name is Michael. Michael proceeds to tell me that because the vehicle is over 60k I am unable to test drive it. This is odd because having done the process online surely that would’ve been flagged, or Cassidy who had already sent me paperwork on the OTD cost would’ve informed me. Michael proceeds to show me a document which states that cars over 60k are not allowed to be test drive alone. I state that this is fine and that either he or the sales rep is welcome to come along. Michael then tells me no, due to Covid CarMax guidelines state all test drives must be solo. This is weird because there’s no mask requirement nor is anyone in the store wearing masks and all plexiglass dividers have been taken down.

Later on after calling other CarMax locations within the state none of them seem to have an issue with a sales associate going on a test drive.

I do not know if this is because of the color of my skin, but there was something very wrong in the way I was treated. I’m almost 30 and have never been treated in such a way.

I have video of the interaction and am considering filing a discrimination suit.
Ah..
Pulling out the good ole' race card... Works everytime...😑

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Font Ring binder Material property Paper Publication

It’s a bit blurry but 3rd bullet from the bottom seems to read “the sales consultant should follow the test drive route established at each store” seemingly with the understanding a sales consultant is allowed to go with the customer, because otherwise that simply not enforceable.

And this document is dated 8/21/22.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah..
Pulling out the good ole' race card... Works everytime...😑
I mean I’ve done everything by the book. Setup an account, spoke with the call center rep to confirm the date. Provided all necessary documents. Signed the forms. Then last second the manager says no you can’t do it alone. I state okay you guys can come with me.

He then makes up a story that effectively means no test drives whatsoever on anything over 60k. Yet I can’t get a single other source to corroborate this, and the documents on the desk seem to indicate otherwise.

Maybe he didn’t like my Shirt? My hair cut? Maybe he just randomly picks a customer to deny a test drive too.

·
Registered
99 Posts
He then makes up a story that effectively means no test drives whatsoever on anything over 60k. Yet I can’t get a single other source to corroborate this, and the documents on the desk seem to indicate otherwise.
The paper you shared here is another source. In the pink highlighted portion in the middle of the page it explicitly states the 60k rule.

·
Registered
99 Posts
“For a customer to take a test drive ALONE…”
Right. Which is what you were quoting. "No test drives whatsoever on anything over 60k" which this paper indicates only solitary test drives are prohibited.

The COVID portion of this scenario is what I'd be focusing on, as there appears to be no evidence backing that up.

·
Registered
2014 Accord Coupe V6 Nav (manual), 2021 Corolla XSE HB (auto)
251 Posts
Right. Which is what you were quoting. "No test drives whatsoever on anything over 60k" which this paper indicates only solitary test drives are prohibited.

The COVID portion of this scenario is what I'd be focusing on, as there appears to be no evidence backing that up.
You never know, this guy could have just gotten in trouble for doing this, or just replaced the last guy that allowed this. I would say the Covid portion of his argument was its weak point as well. Someone in the building could have at least masked up if that was their stance so you could complete the test drive.

·
Registered
CZ4A, Abarth 500, ZZW30, ND2 RF
49 Posts
That's weird. CarMax let me try a 3.0 Supra last year that was stickered for over $70k. They only hesitated when I asked for the 24hr test drive, but they also said they'd let me if I still needed to after the normal half hour-ish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts