Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts
Wow the Hype is pretty strong on here, its just a Corolla guys.

I thought for a second I had clicked on some supercar forum by accident.
Lol yea, some people here are really hyping this up.
I'm interested with this car because its a fun toyota (reliable) that has 4 doors. I was thinking of replacing my daily with this one but I wasn't expecting it to be this "special" till i read this forum.

Came to this forum to see what people are expecting to pay or if people are actually getting it at MSRP but it looks like there will be markup. I'll try to call around local to see if any dealers are selling this at MSRP, if not I'll try nearby states. I'll let this forum know if i find one.

Lol yea, some people here are really hyping this up.
I'm interested with this car because its a fun toyota (reliable) that has 4 doors. I was thinking of replacing my daily with this one but I wasn't expecting it to be this "special" till i read this forum.

Came to this forum to see what people are expecting to pay or if people are actually getting it at MSRP but it looks like there will be markup. I'll try to call around local to see if any dealers are selling this at MSRP, if not I'll try nearby states. I'll let this forum know if i find one.
Yeah, the thing is it’s suppose to be an attainable performance option but there’s a lot of variables that increase its hype.

GR Yaris coming out the way it did and it’s a new car overall.

You sound like a salesman-plant. Who in their right mind defends mark-ups? This is a great car, but 5.5 seconds 0-60 (MT) will not hold up to the new type R or even a lot of previous vehicles in this segment - for God‘s sake, the new Hyundai N CUV can out 0-60 the GRC. And there are far too many market unknowns right now, especially for the guys who want a CE (waiting until spring) for us to say what will be investment material. Hype is dying naturally, as it should. That’s not to say the car is terrible, it sounds like it will be fun, but it does not excel at very many things against its competitors. When the type R numbers come out, it will likely fade further into the pack, as it mostly has now. And I’ve owned Toyotas and been a Toyota fan-boy for 27 years.
Quit with the artificial hype, none of us are buying hype.
There is a 0.1 difference between the N and the GRC to 60... and that's the GRC shifting to 3rd to get to 60. I expect that the N is getting to 60 in 2nd gear.

Considering what the state of the economy is becoming, just in this week alone... the reality of a large purchase, like a GR Corolla, is going to come to a real decision very soon.

For some it's a go regardless of anything that is happening in the country, add in the MSRP and you may end up in a situation that is far from ideal, with a high car note, higher interest rate, higher inflation, and threat of job/career cost.

I'm on the list of an MSRP dealership at #2 or #3 (depends on if the person ahead of me decides to hold out for a Circuit or takes the first Core offered), but even with that... I'm paying CLOSE attention to what is happening.

I know things aren't the best when my childhood friend, who has the means to buy what he wants, is telling me he isn't buying anything big, or that he moved these investments here and telling me to cool off. And he has the money.

So, something is coming.

The GR Corolla is on the shortlist for me. Actually, there might as well not be any list, I WANT this car. However, a 7-10% interest rate over 60-72 months, on a car that will MSRP at around $39,000 with TT&L, potential ADM and we have ourselves a $45,000 car plus more than DOUBLE the interest rate I paid on a 2022 Sienna last year.

I'm hoping that doesn't become the case, because the numbers don't lie. If the economy moves to that state, and those numbers become the reality, for me, I see a situation where I will comfortably wait it out and put money towards assets that are on sale.

I LOVE the car, just on paper and from the first drive videos, but I can't look at numbers like that and tell myself that's an educated, smart choice. It wouldn't make sense.

I'm realistic and hoping it isn't all "doom and gloom"... the worst-case scenario I'm prepared for is tabling this entire thing until this time next year. By then, the aftermarket will be in full swing, the economy will be in a state where we can foresee what is coming and the GR Corolla's initial hype wave should have settled down.

Or they call me in a month and I say "YOLO". :ROFLMAO:

There is a 0.1 difference between the N and the GRC to 60... and that's the GRC shifting to 3rd to get to 60. I expect that the N is getting to 60 in 2nd gear.
‘According to Toyota, the fiery Corolla cracks the 0-60-mph mark in 4.99 seconds. In MotorTrend testing, though, the GR Corolla needs 5.4 seconds to hit 60 mph on its way to a 13.7-second quarter mile at 101.2 mph.”
Even though they likely tested a fully loaded core, I ran the price of the core less the cold weather pack and it comes to $37,850 per Toyotas builder.

‘The Kona N traveled from 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13.9 seconds at 101.1 mph.”
“Our 2022 Kona N wore a base sticker price of $35,495,”

The GRC has been touted as the US performance hot hatch to make up for the fact that we didn’t get the GR Yaris, great handling, incredible performance with a price that seems to match that claim. The Kona N has had hardly any media, is a sports utility compact, comes in at 2k less and is faster 0-60 by .2 seconds. That’s shameful and most definitely NOT worth paying a mark-up for.

‘According to Toyota, the fiery Corolla cracks the 0-60-mph mark in 4.99 seconds. In MotorTrend testing, though, the GR Corolla needs 5.4 seconds to hit 60 mph on its way to a 13.7-second quarter mile at 101.2 mph.”
Even though they likely tested a fully loaded core, I ran the price of the core less the cold weather pack and it comes to $37,850 per Toyotas builder.

‘The Kona N traveled from 0-60 mph in 5.3 seconds and through the quarter-mile in 13.9 seconds at 101.1 mph.”

The GRC has been touted as the US performance hot hatch to make up for the fact that we didn’t get the GR Yaris, great handling, incredible performance with a price that seems to match that claim. The Kona N has had hardly any media, is a sports utility compact, comes in at 2k less and is faster 0-60 by .2 seconds. That’s shameful and most definitely NOT worth paying a mark-up for.
0.1s is the difference and likely being owed to a shift into 3rd versus the Kona’s dual clutch. The GRC is 0.2s faster in the quarter with a higher trap speed. JMO, but the dual clutch transmission is probably doing a fair bit of the lifting for those numbers.

I didn’t say it was worth markup… just pointing out that there is probably more to the numbers than what they are.

To be fair, it's a preproduction prototype, and other places did drag races and found it to be faster than an Elantra N off the line and about neck and neck from a rolling start.

I really hope everyone here refuses to pay a markup. The only reason they're able to charge a markup is because they know people will pay it. Don't be one of those people. The market for a 37-50k manual only hot hatch is pretty small. If enough people say no, these mark ups will go down.

No dealer wants to be the one where a GR corolla sits on lot for any amount of time...

You guys are so full of copium, it's insane. You're all trying to pretend that missing out on this car is going to be no big deal. Buddy. Let me tell you something. You will be kicking, screaming, and CRYING if you miss out on this chance. You're a joke if you pass up 5k...even 10k over MSRP for this car. You will never get a chance again. This is a LIMITED
Uh, ok, if anyone missed the meds, id be this post!
Only the CE is a limited run, and there's planned to be 1500 of them. The rest is planned for more years of production, and there probably will be other limited edition runs later. ADM is really against Toyotas best interests, they don't see any of that money. Toyota wants to sell as many as they can, so really they'd want to make as many as they can sell, ideally exactly thqat number, not more not less.

To be fair, it's a preproduction prototype, and other places did drag races and found it to be faster than an Elantra N off the line and about neck and neck from a rolling start.

I really hope everyone here refuses to pay a markup. The only reason they're able to charge a markup is because they know people will pay it. Don't be one of those people. The market for a 37-50k manual only hot hatch is pretty small. If enough people say no, these mark ups will go down.

No dealer wants to be the one where a GR corolla sits on lot for any amount of time...
I’m sorry but that’s not going to happen. If you don’t want to pay markup then that is your own decision but there will always be people who will.

I’m sorry but that’s not going to happen. If you don’t want to pay markup then that is your own decision but there will always be people who will.
It happens because you pay it. You pay it based on a perceived value. Your perceived value is hyped and a want, not a need. These ADM monsters only exist because you feed them.

It happens because you pay it. You pay it based on a perceived value. Your perceived value is hyped and a want, not a need. These ADM monsters only exist because you feed them.
Who said I’m paying ADM?

.2 seconds. In what world does this even matter? Are we supposed to go to Race Wars and race for pink slips? Sorry I’m not understanding the dilemma here. Is the Kona a hatch or a CUV? Does the Kona have a 6MT or another type of transmission? Which is going to handle better in corners, in the canyons and at a circuit?

In the real world nobody is racing for $. If we were we’d have contracts and sponsors. It’s irrelevant. It’s one thing to internet stat chase for online floss and completely different thing in the real world when such things do not matter one iota.

.2 seconds. In what world does this even matter? Are we supposed to go to Race Wars and race for pink slips? Sorry I’m not understanding the dilemma here. Is the Kona a hatch or a CUV? Does the Kona have a 6MT or another type of transmission? Which is going to handle better in corners, in the canyons and at a circuit?

In the real world nobody is racing for $. If we were we’d have contracts and sponsors. It’s irrelevant. It’s one thing to internet stat chase for online floss and completely different thing in the real world when such things do not matter one iota.
it sounds like your getting a Volvo? Stay safe! :ROFLMAO:
People that gravitate to performance cars play with them.
When you wait for 2+ years, track the media and news, get through the hype, finally get a VIN, wait for months just to negotiate through ADM and add-ons with your sales person, pay 2k more than the guy sitting in the lane next to you at the stop light (just msrp, not adm), knowing he walked over to the local Hyundai dealership and ordered his. Then he revs his engine like a cocky so-and-so. You decide to give him what he’s asking for, because it’s fun. Keep in mind that the GRC looks the part, and this scenario will occur once a week if not more during ownership. Then he whips you by a car length to 60 and laughs….the point is not that the GRC is a bad car, simply that it doesn’t elicit an ADM when compared to other vehicles in its class and price range.
I’m on board, but not for ADM.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.