Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm the guy that leaked this info the first time in reddit. I work at Toyota.
You sure you aren’t mistaking the Corolla with the GRMN yaris? The circuit pack in the yaris retained the back seat, I would be mind blown if Toyota offered a package that removed the rear seat of a 4-door car in the US. That’s basically unprecedented.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You sure you aren’t mistaking the Corolla with the GRMN yaris? The circuit pack in the yaris retained the back seat, I would be mind blown if Toyota offered a package that removed the rear seat of a 4-door car in the US. That’s basically unprecedented.
[/Q
No, it's a rally version of the GR Corolla hatchback. It was an official statement given to me from my boss to a few of us at work. Can't share it around anymore because I already got in trouble 😂

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
364 Posts
Im intensely skeptical. But Toyota, please prove me wrong! Although i like to keep the rear seats and have the delete as a option later. Now if “rally” edition also featured higher suspension ride and roll bar and the lsd’s, id be there in a heartbeat! But all of that gotta wonder where it would fall in with US laws and crash test regulations. Would Toyota have to undergo further testing on a seperate edition like this?

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
I don't believe they would have to. Subaru didn't have to do such with their Wilderness editions which only lifted the vehicle an inch. You're not changing any body panels or crumple zones(in fact you'd make it more safe with the any roll bars or structure bars)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't believe they would have to. Subaru didn't have to do such with their Wilderness editions which only lifted the vehicle an inch. You're not changing any body panels or crumple zones(in fact you'd make it more safe with the any roll bars or structure bars)
Rolls bars cannot be added to a car from the factory. So it'll most likely just be a lift and the seat delete

·
468 Posts
I just went to lunch with my buddy hes my salesman and the sales manager came with us to. He swore up and down that they had no info on anything yet. So I don't understand how some ppl do. Its pretty much a I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just went to lunch with my buddy hes my salesman and the sales manager came with us to. He swore up and down that they had no info on anything yet. So I don't understand how some ppl do. Its pretty much a I'll believe it when I see it.
Lemme explain. General sales managers go to a yearly meeting somewhere in the states to meet up with Toyota. They talk about the plans for the years ahead, and any revisions or anything relevant that needs to be talked about. This time, it was about the new revisions coming, like the Grand Highlander, the new Sequoia, the new tundra, the bz4x, the gr86, the manual supra, the gr Corolla. The GSMs were able to see all of these cars, but weren't allowed to take pictures. But once they came back, some GSMs told their coworkers, some didn't.

·
468 Posts
Maybe with Covid my dealer wasnt able to go. Iam not to sure. Anyways no to concerened it will be reavealed with in a month or two I would say. But thank you for your response sir

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
364 Posts
Well cages would seem outwardly safer, but are not street legal. Infact are a bad idea unless you have harness and helmet. A rear bar can be added aftermarket and be street legal, but i wasnt sure how it goes for manufacturers. I have a hard time thinking of any cars with one from factory.
you never know with gov regulations, i mean thats pretty much why we dont get theGR Yaris.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Well cages would seem outwardly safer, but are not street legal. Infact are a bad idea unless you have harness and helmet. A rear bar can be added aftermarket and be street legal, but i wasnt sure how it goes for manufacturers. I have a hard time thinking of any cars with one from factory.
you never know with gov regulations, i mean thats pretty much why we dont get theGR Yaris.
Yeah I meant more for rear bars and the side bars the GRMN has. I know the new Acura TLX Type-S has a rear bar in the trunk, a lot of high performance cars do as well that I can't think of right now besides Porsche 911s. Roll cages will probably never make it to street cars

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yeah I meant more for rear bars and the side bars the GRMN has. I know the new Acura TLX Type-S has a rear bar in the trunk, a lot of high performance cars do as well that I can't think of right now besides Porsche 911s. Roll cages will probably never make it to street cars
If you meant stiffening bars, yeah thatd be cool. I think its cool when factory does that instead of leaving it to aftetmarket. May not be as flashy as cncd anodized pretty color aluminum bars, but i like that. Like how my Corolla FX16 has factory strut bars in engine bay and bars in under carriage at the front a arm and rear between the top links.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
Yeah the strut braces are a common thing for OEMs to offer either stock or as an option. I would assume if a Rally Edition got rid of the rear seats it would in favour of weight savings and a stiffening bar or several

·
Registered
22 Posts
No, it's a rally version of the GR Corolla hatchback. It was an official statement given to me from my boss to a few of us at work. Can't share it around anymore because I already got in trouble 😂
Interesting. So it's what your boss told you, not what you actually witnessed on site.

I generally don't trust dealership rumors, but I think rear seat delete option can still happen.
Mini has done it with the JCW GP.
Renault and VW have done it in Europe as well.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
I love the Mini JCW GP. That thing is sick. I know it's a track beast but I wish the GP3 was stick like the 1 and 2

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
What’s another 5 door vehicle that’s had a rear seat delete though? That’s what doesn’t make sense to me, I can think of a bunch of coupes and 3 doors without a rear seat, I cannot fathom any manufacturer releasing a car with back doors and no seat behind them.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,561 Posts
None that I can think of but that might be what sets it apart

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.