Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

If your suspension feels stiff check for these

29K views 137 replies 65 participants last post by  GRC_WRX 
#1 ·
Saw this and figured it’s good knowledge, happened on the Supra as well and appears to have happened on some GRC as well.
Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Sure enough I just went out there to check mine and they're still there as well..... I will be jacking up my car tomorrow to remove them. Does anyone know if the 350 miles I've done so far could've done damage with these still in????

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Synthetic rubber

#36 ·
I had them still on mine as well. I just discovered them and quickly came to the forum to post something, just to find this post. Glad I’m not the only one but also concerned, like you, if the 230 ish miles with them in did any damage.

The ride is definitely way less jarring. I was embarrassed to admit to anyone before that it rode almost too harsh for me. I just chalked it up to it being a real sports car and me being a bit of a wimp I guess.
Very glad it wasn’t just in my head 😅

Reactions: 1SeCra
#3 ·
Wow, guess I should've warned you guys. Mine had em, but I saw it when I was inspecting the car and asked them if this was supposed be removed from port. They removed it of course, and the master tech even showed me what he did, I guess to show it wasn't messed up completely. I figured it was just my car and some idiots not doing their job right, at the port, but guess now it's a big deal. Sorry guys 😢

#5 ·
I requested to witness the PDI of my 2016 Focus RS. When the tech was finished, he asked me if he missed anything. I showed him the shipping blocks in the front suspension. He was surprised that I knew they were there. I don’t remember if there was a sticker on the windshield, but it makes sense to have one as a reminder.

#10 ·
This just proves dealership techs don't read the PDI documentation. Someone should make a copy of the PDI sheet and post it online so owners can verify the PDI was completed correctly.

Edit: Looks like warning label is even installed on the windshield. How can someone still miss it? Is the new car sales manager performing the PDI?

#15 ·
Not saying all techs are bad, but the few that are will obviously make it to the internet.

A rationale tech should read the PDI documentation if they’ve never performed the PDI, but I get the whole pressure from management.

Anyway, waiting to see a lawsuit happen where someone forgot to remove the spring spacer and the buyer loses control and causes an accident. Guess who will be liable?

#20 ·
Its kinda strange that they dont have dedicated techs for these like they do with the supra. When we get a supra in only 1 of the techs in the shop can pdi it, it doesn't go to the regular pdi tech. I asked if i can do the pdis on the gr corollas because to me its a special car that should take a little more attention to detail that a regular car. We still havent got one it yet but i think early this month well get our first one.

#19 ·
I don't know. They're way up in there and hard to see. I wouldn't have seen them if I wasn't looking for them. Apparently they had to peel a big warning sticker off the windshield directly in front of the driver though....

#28 ·
I drove my friend to the dealership to pick up his FR-S RS1.0 back in 2015. I kept saying that there was something off about the suspension height on the front. When we got back to our work parking lot, I grabbed the jack and sure enough, the shipping spacers were still in place.

#29 ·
Glad to know about this being a thing on the GRC. The Type R has the same thing. Mine had them left in and I took it in because the front suspension was squeaking loudly over bumps. What's worse is that unlike the GRC, they were bright orange and should have been impossible to miss if they actually looked.

#39 ·
For those of you concerned about those being left in, I can assure you it's a non-issue and won't cause any damage. Last gen Celica's had those as well and lots of them got missed during PDI. We'd have 10-year-old celica's come in with the spacers still in there. Never, never, NEVER remove those. The customer will come back saying "what the fuck did you guys do to my car, it rides like shit now!"

#40 ·
I don't see any harm in leaving them. Don't some aftermarket companies actually make things like this for people wanting a stiffer ride on their cars? I swear I've seen some made in billet aluminum. I'll still take them out on mine and keep them for transport in case of anything. I liked how it felt with them on though.

#49 ·
I was poking around at lunch and figured out how to select which things are available for the side areas of the gauge cluster. turned on TPMS. 55 all around, which, I'm guessing 55 is the max it registers. I know the same as the spring inserts, they set the PSI high for transit, and it's supposed to be checked on as part of the PDI.

PDI techs are all excited to see these and seem to be skipping things. so if you don't have the bump stops but it still feels off, check the tire pressures.

#53 ·
maybe it's dealer dependent, but everyone working at the dealer knew what it was. when I showed up it still had about 45 minutes left of PDI before I could take delivery. the sales guy walked me back to make ready and there was a steady stream of dealer employees fawning over it.

we didn't stick around for me to watch, we found a trade-in GX 460 with a few thousand miles on it and test drove it for 30 minutes. lol.

anyway, simple things are probably being missed on these first ones on the lot because the make ready techs are being distracted from doing their list correctly by a steady stream of people poking around.

I was a tech back in the late 90s at a Ford dealership, and when we got our first (only) '96 Cobra with Mystic pearl, EVERYONE in the dealership knew it and was taking 15 minute breaks to go check it out. same thing with every other special or new vehicle.

it happens, best thing to do is make a list of things referenced in this thread and do the checks yourself when you get home to make sure important things weren't missed. shouldn't need to be done, but it is what it is.