Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
121 - 140 of 231 Posts
RPMs=engine speed
not to be pedantic (I know, too late, sorry!), but RPM is simply an abbreviation of Revolutions Per Minute. anything that spins has a RPM (even a record player, that's why you'll see records that have a number on them, that's the RPM you have to set to the table to play the music correctly). you'll notice in my description that I call out engine RPM, input shaft RPM, or output shaft RPM.

anyway, you're definitely right, the most common thought of RPM is engine RPM because of that big honking tachometer on your dash that shows engine RPM.

to bring it back on topic... when I went out to get lunch today I forced myself to use IMT, it seems if I clutch in and shift to any lower gear within a specific time variable the engine will blip appropriately, but if you don't shift within a specific time of depressing the clutch pedal, it won't blip, also, the blip is not related to when I take my foot off the clutch. so it presents some scenarios:

foot on clutch, let car coast, downshift and let off clutch = no IMT blip
foot on clutch, shift to lower gear, do not let off clutch = IMT blip, but is useless and when you decide to let your foot off the clutch you still need to give it a blip
foot on clutch, shift to lower gear, let off clutch immediately = IMT and doing everything the way Toyota wants you to

so as long as you don't shift gears until you are absolutely ready to, IMT won't play the way you might want it to, but it is very predictable.

not to be pedantic (I know, too late, sorry!), but RPM is simply an abbreviation of Revolutions Per Minute. anything that spins has a RPM (even a record player, that's why you'll see records that have a number on them, that's the RPM you have to set to the table to play the music correctly). you'll notice in my description that I call out engine RPM, input shaft RPM, or output shaft RPM.

anyway, you're definitely right, the most common thought of RPM is engine RPM because of that big honking tachometer on your dash that shows engine RPM.

to bring it back on topic... when I went out to get lunch today I forced myself to use IMT, it seems if I clutch in and shift to any lower gear within a specific time variable the engine will blip appropriately, but if you don't shift within a specific time of depressing the clutch pedal, it won't blip, also, the blip is not related to when I take my foot off the clutch. so it presents some scenarios:

foot on clutch, let car coast, downshift and let off clutch = no IMT blip
foot on clutch, shift to lower gear, do not let off clutch = IMT blip, but is useless and when you decide to let your foot off the clutch you still need to give it a blip
foot on clutch, shift to lower gear, let off clutch immediately = IMT and doing everything the way Toyota wants you to

so as long as you don't shift gears until you are absolutely ready to, IMT won't play the way you might want it to, but it is very predictable.
Good stuff!👍

Since you seem to be very good at testing and reporting back with a very clear explanation... can you test out the FWD drive mode, and full defeat of the VSC and TRAC (aka VSC off mode)?

Thread is here:

Dyno mode=FWD mode
VSC off mode=drift mode

I'll let someone more confident with the process of going into dyno mode give it a shot, and also dynoing isn't something I'm particularly interested in, so that's another reason I'll defer.

as far as how it handles with VSC off, without rain, I don't think I'll be able to provide any useful info. if I were in CA, I'd give it a shot. but I'm in the middle of Houston. no dirt roads, and these tires are too sticky to really make anything do anything, besides in the middle of Houston finding a place to do it where it would be safe is difficult.

there is a chance for rain tomorrow, so I might be able to feel some things.

I like the sound of that!
it's quite amazing, there are some corners near my home where I absolutely remember having a corner entry speed at X mph would result in understeer. I've already done that in the GRC above X mph and no understeer. and that's in 60:40 mode.

it was an 08 sti with no suspension mods.

on these tires, on dry roads, trying to test the limits of adhesion on city streets isn't something I want to even get close to doing.

oh yeah, make no mistake, the amount of grip is awesome. it's fun to do some steering with the throttle pedal, but for street driving, I'm so much happier know it will grip up.

Alright, y'all made me look. There is a transmission input speed sensor, but it is on the tail end of the transaxle, down low and towards the front of the car on the driver side. Wheel speed sensors send their signal to the skid control ECU, and that reports vehicle speed to the engine control ECU. The engine control ECU uses those two signal inputs to determine gear position. There you have it.

Side note. This is an astonishingly stubby little transaxle, especially for a 6-speed.
stubby bc it has two output shafts. thats why it has two final drives. why 1-3 are short but 4-6 are liveable on the highway. i cant wait to use this at my local track. its short and technical and i would be in 2nd and 3rd all day (current cars barely see 4th on the uphill back straight.)

I'll let someone more confident with the process of going into dyno mode give it a shot, and also dynoing isn't something I'm particularly interested in, so that's another reason I'll defer.

as far as how it handles with VSC off, without rain, I don't think I'll be able to provide any useful info. if I were in CA, I'd give it a shot. but I'm in the middle of Houston. no dirt roads, and these tires are too sticky to really make anything do anything, besides in the middle of Houston finding a place to do it where it would be safe is difficult.

there is a chance for rain tomorrow, so I might be able to feel some things.
there's also a good amount of camber in the back. (and the front camber with the zero toe and 0.10* toe-in the rear) its hard to break loose when the whole contact patch is being utilized.

... these tires are too sticky to really make anything do anything, ...
Easy, put it in FWD mode, and take off from a light, you'll spin. No question. A CTR is made to be FWD, and have the best launch, and it will spin easy. Only 6-15hp more also. RSX-S stock (165whp) or with full boltons (235whp), FWD, spins easy. Stock Speed3, 260whp, FWD, spins easy. Stock DC2 GSR, 130whp, spins ok. Full bolton GSR, spins easy. I always run Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ss or Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires, on all my sports/sporty cars. Good tires or eat Ramen if you have to, and get good tires. The tires break loose, no problem.

If FWD scares you, no problem. I appreciate the effort... and I'm in Austin, not far fr you. No rain here today, either.

lol, I drove a GSR for the better part of 8 years, it was amazing fun. I learned a lot of really important lessons. one of which being that I hate FWD.
I loved that car though, if you drove it in a way that complimented FWD it was a great chassis, and the induction noise from that engine was a joy to listen to.

anyway, yeah, no FWD testing from me lol.

Reactions: GRMcFly
Nice! Any details on it? I don't do facebook, so I can see the video, but that's it. Curious if he was on VSC off, fully defeated mode, or just had the right surface.
I don’t do social media apps either, a plague on society they are!

I’ll venture an educated guess. The driver pulled the e-brake, turned the steering wheel hard, and applied throttle. Got to remember what the e-brake does on this car. Disengages the rear half shafts. Easy AF. Same thing was a Ford part on the RS.

I don’t do social media apps either, a plague on society they are!

I’ll venture an educated guess. The driver pulled the e-brake, turned the steering wheel hard, and applied throttle. Got to remember what the e-brake does on this car. Disengages the rear half shafts. Easy AF. Same thing was a Ford part on the RS.
Not to derail the thread, but I am totally with you. Social Networking is destroying modern society. Older Computer geeks, like myself, have known this since the 80s & 90s when social networking started (but wasn't called as such, then). Difference today, is that everyone has a computer in their hand, called a cell phone, and they are unaware of such dangers. It's like doing drugs. You don't realize how bad they are until it's too late.

The e-brake pull totally makes sense, now that you mention it.

Nice! Any details on it? I don't do facebook, so I can see the video, but that's it. Curious if he was on VSC off, fully defeated mode, or just had the right surface.
I asked the guy if they had done any mods to it, and all they said was driver mod and the car was as-is from the dealer.

I asked the guy if they had done any mods to it, and all they said was driver mod and the car was as-is from the dealer.
It indeed does look like it he just pulled the e-brake. Doesn't look like it's spinning at it's center. Looks like it's spinning at the front wheels. Comments are also off on his YT video (posted on the review thread). Driver mod, lol... Buddies of mine did that in the RSX-S, back when it was new. Just toss some cafeteria trays under the back tires. No real skill, just a nice trick.

121 - 140 of 231 Posts