Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
My expectations were too high, but that's not the car's fault. Imagine an STI, but engineered this decade and not 20 years ago. It doesn't hide its economy car roots, nor does it have a high sense of humor (much more serious/refined than, say, a Fiesta ST), but it still felt very capable/special, thanks to its unique drivetrain. Can't really say much more beyond that after a 5 minute drive in rush hour traffic. I don't think you guys will be disappointed unless you pay a markup.

My biggest takeaway: If Toyota starts selling the GR86 with the G16E instead of the FA24, I would strongly consider buying another.

· Registered
211 Posts
My expectations were too high, but that's not the car's fault. Imagine an STI, but engineered this decade and not 20 years ago. It doesn't hide its economy car roots, nor does it have a high sense of humor (much more serious/refined than, say, a Fiesta ST), but it still felt very capable/special, thanks to its unique drivetrain. Can't really say much more beyond that after a 5 minute drive in rush hour traffic. I don't think you guys will be disappointed unless you pay a markup.

My biggest takeaway: If Toyota starts selling the GR86 with the G16E instead of the FA24, I would strongly consider buying another.
You basically described an Evo lol. Which is a good thing.

· Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
183 Posts

I know it's a stupid comparison, but I've been waiting for someone to compare it to a 22 86. Can you give some other feedback on the STI though? There is a very wide range between a GD, GR, and VA STI, and I'd love to see someone break down which gen it's closest to.

· Registered
276 Posts
We get it bro, you live in the UK and get to have the GRY. We don't, so we will take what we can get. Now move along...
what most people don't get is that it doesn't take much to upset the balance of a car. whether it's rigidity changes or alignment, you can pretty much make the car have whatever "feel" or "playfulness" that you want.

· Registered
08 STI / 85 CB650SC Nighthawk (kinda cafe)
183 Posts
what most people don't get is that it doesn't take much to upset the balance of a car. whether it's rigidity changes or alignment, you can pretty much make the car have whatever "feel" or "playfulness" that you want.
Agreed. I still think coilovers and sway bars will go a long way with this car.

· Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
People understand, they’re just referencing the “off the showroom floor” dynamics or how the engineers intentionally made the car.

The car was never suppose to be a GR Yaris anyways so the disappointment is kinda unwarranted.

· Banned
95 Posts
You basically described an Evo lol. Which is a good thing.
I remember my first drive in the EVO X when it came out, and I found it incredible how you could huck it into a cloverleaf and pin it in 2nd and it would just hook up and carve through the turn. Just endless grip. If the GRC behaves that way then I'll be pleased.

· Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
756 Posts
People understand, they’re just referencing the “off the showroom floor” dynamics or how the engineers intentionally made the car.

The car was never suppose to be a GR Yaris anyways so the disappointment is kinda unwarranted.
Watch videos with the Toyota engineers and its been said from beginning that the GRC was designed to be more "mature" and calmer. The very nature of it being a Corolla chassis they said they new they couldn't make it a GR Yaris and didn't try. The Japan comparison videos makes it clear, everyone says the C is great driving, predicatable, easy to drive and direct to what you want to do. Then they jump into the GRY and call it the "thorooughbreed".
Of course you have all the marketing, what do you expect. Especially for the US market, we don't get the GRY so the GRC is martketed how the GRY would be.

· Super Moderator
3,330 Posts
Watch videos with the Toyota engineers and its been said from beginning that the GRC was designed to be more "mature" and calmer. The very nature of it being a Corolla chassis they said they new they couldn't make it a GR Yaris and didn't try. The Japan comparison videos makes it clear, everyone says the C is great driving, predicatable, easy to drive and direct to what you want to do. Then they jump into the GRY and call it the "thorooughbreed".
Of course you have all the marketing, what do you expect. Especially for the US market, we don't get the GRY so the GRC is martketed how the GRY would be.
Spot on. I’ve always said the biggest issue was marketing, otherwise the GRC is a great car.

I also see a lot of people in Japan annoyed with the lottery system. They really want the GRC to be easily accessible.

· Registered
220 Posts
I know it's a stupid comparison, but I've been waiting for someone to compare it to a 22 86. Can you give some other feedback on the STI though? There is a very wide range between a GD, GR, and VA STI, and I'd love to see someone break down which gen it's closest to.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough seat time in either to say much more. I preferred the GRC's lighter clutch and smoother shift action to the one in the STI, but the seating position was a little worse for me. Given the choice between the two, I'd take the GRC every time. The Subaru engine was my least favorite part of my GR86.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts