Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to guesstimate how much heavier the GRC will be compared to the regular corolla hatch?
I was doing a little research but couldnt find the weight of the current 2.0L engine in the Corolla hatch. The G16 motor in the GRY dry weight is approx 240lbs.
Obviously with the AWD drivetrain, the GRC will weigh more than the base hatch. Was thinking the 2.0L engine may weigh more than the G16 due to the extra cylinder resulting in extra material. But then again, any weight savings gained from the lack of an extra cylinder probably gets offset due to addition of a turbo. I highly doubt the GRC will come with a CF roof at the rumored price of 35k, so probably no weight savings from the roof.

The regular hatch weighs approx 3050 lbs, and the weight of the cars the GRC will be competing with are as follows:
CTR weighs approx 3100lbs
The GTi about 3150lbs
Golf R about 3400lbs
WRX (latest model not the 2023) about 3300lbs
Veloster N about 3200lbs

I figure it will be approx 100lbs or so heavier than the base model hatch, so right at about the weight of a GTi, but no heavier than a Veloster N.
Would be nice to be about the same weight as a CTR.
I suspect the GRC to win overall in a performance comparison between the hot hatches with the CTR being a close second.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
I'm guessing around the 3300-3400 since the only other 2 that're AWD are around that weight. I'm thinking between the WRX and Golf R since it has a lighter engine than the Golf and the WRX but it has more body than the WRX. Unless it's over 3500lbs, it's going to be faster than the WRX at least. If they want to match or beat the Golf R's power to weight, they'll have to keep it at most ~3,330lbs if the 300hp rumour is true

Reactions: Jeonsa

·
Banned
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing around the 3300-3400 since the only other 2 that're AWD are around that weight. I'm thinking between the WRX and Golf R since it has a lighter engine than the Golf and the WRX but it has more body than the WRX. Unless it's over 3500lbs, it's going to be faster than the WRX at least. If they want to match or beat the Golf R's power to weight, they'll have to keep it at most ~3,330lbs if the 300hp rumour is true
You think it will be that much heavier than the base corolla hatch?

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts
It really depends on a lot of factors. I'd love to see them come in at only 100 or so pounds over the Corolla Hatch, but AWD systems aren't known to be light. Without a center diff, you'll save some weight, but it's still heavy.

I'd love to see 3200. That's what my FoST weighs.

They could also do some weight savings. Carbon Fiber roof like the GRY, rear seat deletes, etc. That would definitely help, but would add to cost. I'd be happy with the carbon fiber roof more so for the shift in weight than strictly the weight lost numbers.

Keep in mind that weight from AWD systems is all down low, so while adding weight does suck, it also helps shift the center of gravity a bit further down.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
Well between the AWD system, the bigger brakes, the different suspension, whatever else they do it'll be likely. The normal Golf weighs around 2950-3010 while the R weighs 3400-3450 so it's comparable. If they do any kind of weight savings and have it at 3250 or less, that thing is going to be a pocket rocket

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
The FWD GR Yaris (with a different 3 banger) weighs around 2500 lbs. the AWD Yaris weighs 2800 lbs. lmao. That’s with a carbon roof, aluminum fenders and etc.

Corolla weighs 3090 lbs, plus AWD should put it in the 3300-3500 ballpark.As far as we know it’s not getting as much as the GRY in the lightweight material department also.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
There's also the Focus RS that weighed around 3500lbs while a base Focus started at 2940-3000lbs. So thinking the GRC is going to be 300lbs heavier than a standard Corolla isn't anything crazy heavy. Basically the RS has a 10:1 weight to power and the Golf R has a 9:1. With a GRC at 300hp and 3300lbs, it'll be at 9:1 as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
There's also the Focus RS that weighed around 3500lbs while a base Focus started at 2940-3000lbs. So thinking the GRC is going to be 300lbs heavier than a standard Corolla isn't anything crazy heavy
Agreed. This is why we kept saying it’s not going to handle like a GR Yaris most likely. It’ll perform similar to a WRX since it’s rumored to get 290hp.

Focus RS mad 350hp at its weight, WRX weighs 3500 but makes 271 hp in Non STi trim.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
The GT trim weighs 3534lbs. That CVT is definitely heavy and I'm sure those active shocks add to that weight too. (Also, if wanna know any WRX specs that haven't been revealed, I can do that ;))

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
I’m surprised by how many people think the Corolla is going to be lightweight. I see it a lot on YouTube and Reddit as well. One guy pointed out the FWD Yaris vs AWD Yaris though on Reddit.

·
Super Moderator
409 Posts
I’m surprised by how many people think the Corolla is going to be lightweight. I see it a lot on YouTube and Reddit as well. One guy pointed out the FWD Yaris vs AWD Yaris though on Reddit.
People have a lot of expectations that will probably be proven wrong. Everyone hopes that every small sports car is going to weight as much as a Miata. Unfortunately, we live in a world where things have weight. Lol.

I wouldn't mind 3200-3400lbs. Like I said before, AWD systems are heavy, but they're low, so the added weight isn't nearly as bad as it would be if the added weight were in the engine or on the roof or something.

Reactions: Jeonsa

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
People have a lot of expectations that will probably be proven wrong. Everyone hopes that every small sports car is going to weight as much as a Miata. Unfortunately, we live in a world where things have weight. Lol.

I wouldn't mind 3200-3400lbs. Like I said before, AWD systems are heavy, but they're low, so the added weight isn't nearly as bad as it would be if the added weight were in the engine or on the roof or something.
I personally don’t mind it because I don’t see it as the “GR Yaris”

I just see it has a continuation of the sporty Corolla series. I see a AE86, AE111, WRC Rolla, and Corolla XRS successor more than a 4 door Yaris.

So from my point of view as a Toyota enthusiast, I’m happy the Corolla is getting that deserved love like the Civic 🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Registered
102 Posts
You probably don't care much about this but currently the lightest version of the Corolla hatchback from the factory weighs 1300kg/2866lbs, Japanese-spec base model with a 1.2L turbocharged inline 4(8NR-FTS) and 6MT, there's a better equipped model(basically their equivalent to the XSE trim level that you're probably more familiar with) with the same powertrain that comes with more features and 18 inch wheels that weighs an extra 30kg/66lbs over the base model. The GR Corolla obviously won't be a featherweight of a car with all the beefy upgrades that it will get, but it probably won't be quite as porky as some of its AWD competitors.

·
Registered
2008 FJ, 2017 GT350R, 2020 RAV4 Hybrid
193 Posts
Same, AWD systems are HEAVY which is why the CTR is so good at what it does. Luckily the engine is small and light on these, but has Toyota said much about the power? I've seen 300 or close to 300 from auto journalists, but can this engine be tuned that much higher from the Yaris' 268 hp? Toyota not talking doesn't help lol. It'll definitely be on the porky side if it weighs 3500 lbs and makes under 270 hp. I don't expect an RS type rocket, but an 8:1 power ratio may have me look elsewhere 😢

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Same, AWD systems are HEAVY which is why the CTR is so good at what it does. Luckily the engine is small and light on these, but has Toyota said much about the power? I've seen 300 or close to 300 from auto journalists, but can this engine be tuned that much higher from the Yaris' 268 hp? Toyota not talking doesn't help lol. It'll definitely be on the porky side if it weighs 3500 lbs and makes under 270 hp. I don't expect an RS type rocket, but an 8:1 power ratio may have me look elsewhere 😢
Well the GRMN Yaris G16 makes 272 hp which is the rumored engine for the GRC. When they were testing the GRMN around the ring, it was originally thought to have 300hp. So I’m guessing it’ll be 280ish.

But that’s still WRX numbers essentially which is not a bad thing

·
Registered
2020 X3M Competition
77 Posts
Is the Corolla utilizing any aluminum body panels? I doubt that we would get a CF roof (as standard anyway) but I would hope some of the panels like the hood and front fenders were aluminum.

·
Super Moderator
1,271 Posts
Is the Corolla utilizing any aluminum body panels? I doubt that we would get a CF roof (as standard anyway) but I would hope some of the panels like the hood and front fenders were aluminum.
I think it’ll definitely get aluminum panels and roof.

BUT that won’t bring the weight down as much as people would want.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,534 Posts
The normal Corolla uses a aluminum hood and plastic rear hatch. Hopefully they'll add aluminum fenders and a roof onto the GR if they do make it in Motomachi

1 - 20 of 31 Posts