Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Following as well. Sorry to hear that you’re going through this. I’m sure Toyota will figure it out and fix it for you. Just be prepared for some wait time if any parts are needed. There’s no telling what parts, if any, that have been stocked up for this car because it’s so new.
Thank you. I hope they figure it out soon as well. Yeah I’m trying to prepare myself for that along with any other worst case scenario, whatever that may be.
Fingers still crossed it’s something super simple and common like a fuse or something.. 😅

Reactions: wmo168

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Another update.
Service department finally called me back this morning and they are thinking it’s the Air/fuel ratio sensor. They are not 100% that’s it but that’s the first step they are taking.
(Personally I don’t think that’s it but I’m not the mechanic in this situation. Feels like that’s just replacing a thermometer when it tells you have a fever instead of figuring out why you have a fever. Find the cause not replace the component that tells you the symptoms. That’s what my instructors used to say. But anyway..)

As expected the parts will take a while to get here. The system is telling them 4+ days which is the longest out it goes. He told me the part could be in Tennessee or yet to be manufactured in Japan. The system just defaults to 4+ days.

• Wow
Reactions: Nemesis

· Registered
2023 Toyota GR Corolla Core
47 Posts
Another update.
Service department finally called me back this morning and they are thinking it’s the Air/fuel ratio sensor. They are not 100% that’s it but that’s the first step they are taking.
(Personally I don’t think that’s it but I’m not the mechanic in this situation. Feels like that’s just replacing a thermometer when it tells you have a fever instead of figuring out why you have a fever. Find the cause not replace the component that tells you the symptoms. That’s what my instructors used to say. But anyway..)

As expected the parts will take a while to get here. The system is telling them 4+ days which is the longest out it goes. He told me the part could be in Tennessee or yet to be manufactured in Japan. The system just defaults to 4+ days.
Based on the codes I would agree that it is most likely the upstream air/fuel ratio sensor. Common toyota failure and the fact the downstream shows a discrepancy means it is reading way richer than the upstream which means the engine can't be running lean, just a bad sensor showing way too many volts than it should. I imagine this being an issue for many of us down the road.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
How many miles? I'm at 1500miles and nothing like this has happened... then again, I've been baby-ing the F out of it.
About 1220 . I’ve been baby-ing mine pretty much as well. Given it the sauce a few times but definitely nothing compared to others I’ve seen on this forum. Lol. Just my lucky day I guess :rolleyes:

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Update!
Dealership called today and said part was actually much closer than they thought and already showed up. Actually had one in the state. Truly shocking.

They replaced it and test drove it after and seems to have fixed it! Although no one seems completely confident considering how new this car is and so little is known about it yet.

I could have picked it up today but didn’t get out of work until after the service department closed today sadly.
Should be able to pick it up before work tomorrow and hopefully all will be right in the world again. Really really hoping that was the fix and it won’t have to go back to the shop for a very long time.

I’ll have more info on what part exactly was the problem tomorrow when I get the paperwork. IIRC it was the upstream air/fuel sensor.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Last update (hopefully!)
Picked car up from dealership this morning and it seems like it’s completely fixed! 😄
Other than the, somewhat excessive, 15 miles the tech put on the car, the whole situation ended up much better than I anticipated with the dealership.

The part number of the sensor that allegedly failed and needed to be replaced is 89467-52300.
Still unsure which of the two sensors it was, upstream or downstream. Maybe @ijuswannaride can shed some light on this. He seems to be the parts number guru working for Toyota and everything.

Thank you all for following this thread and the encouragement along the way. It definitely sucked being, what seemed like, the first one to have any problems like this with their GR but it ended up pretty alright. I just hope none of you, or other GR owners, have any other issues like this!

· Registered
74 Posts
there are two warehouses I know of with parts specifically for our car in America. I found this out when I called parts dept asking about some other parts for our vehicle. I am sure it’s here stateside but it takes time from the distribution warehouse. crossing fingers it’s just a sensor and it’s fixed.

· Registered
351 Posts
As far as the tech driving the car 15 miles. He was doing the last step of any diagnosis which is to "verify the repair". How pissed would you be if he slapped the sensor in, reset adaptives, and threw the car in the lot only to have you pick it up and the car do the same thing on the drive home?

Otherwise I'm glad to see this issue fixed, hopefully nothing else goofy goes on!

· Registered
2023 Toyota GR Corolla Core
47 Posts
Last update (hopefully!)
Picked car up from dealership this morning and it seems like it’s completely fixed! 😄
Other than the, somewhat excessive, 15 miles the tech put on the car, the whole situation ended up much better than I anticipated with the dealership.

The part number of the sensor that allegedly failed and needed to be replaced is 89467-52300.
Still unsure which of the two sensors it was, upstream or downstream. Maybe @ijuswannaride can shed some light on this. He seems to be the parts number guru working for Toyota and everything.

Thank you all for following this thread and the encouragement along the way. It definitely sucked being, what seemed like, the first one to have any problems like this with their GR but it ended up pretty alright. I just hope none of you, or other GR owners, have any other issues like this!
Definitely upstream, downstream only monitors the catalytic converter and wouldn’t make the car run bad

· Registered
212 Posts
Thanks, I’ve not seen parts schematics on toyodiy before. I also do not seem to be able to query a GR Corolla vin on toyodiy yet. They don’t seem to have it in their database yet.
that's right, it's independently operated outside of Toyota. current MY get updated mid year. Ive been referencing the GR yaris as stated in my original reply.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
As far as the tech driving the car 15 miles. He was doing the last step of any diagnosis which is to "verify the repair". How pissed would you be if he slapped the sensor in, reset adaptives, and threw the car in the lot only to have you pick it up and the car do the same thing on the drive home?

Otherwise I'm glad to see this issue fixed, hopefully nothing else goofy goes on!
Totally agree. And I’m definitely happy they verified the repair! Only gripe is that 15 seems like a bit more than just verifying concern and verifying the repair was made. But regardless the car is back to running great and they didn’t cause any damage or anything so I’m happy. Honestly I hope they had fun if they did rip on it a little. It was earned.
I talked to the tech working on it at one point and he said he had full intentions of buying one of the first ones but that dealership (different than the one I bought mine at) had a 20k mark up and couldn’t justify it. Understandably! Lol

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
did you put it in valet mode? so you can tell how much they were hooning it 😅
I did! And also turned “drive pulse” back on. Honestly I don’t know I recommend it though. Just made me stress out more and honestly I don’t know how I would confront them. Ignorance really is bliss sometimes.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts