Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, my name is Simon Maldonado and I am currently living in Charleston, South Carolina. I have been a fan of Toyota reliability since owning a 2007 Corolla several year ago, then I moved to 4Runners and Rav4 territory. Currently my personal car is a 2000 Mazda Miata and my wife family hauler is a Mazda CX-9. I am planning on going back to Toyota and I was about to replace my Miata with a GR86 but that's when I came across to the GR Corolla. As you can see I am in the fun-to-drive car mood and the only thing that pulls me from the GR86 is the boxer engine which to be honest I would prefer to have a Toyota power plant compared to Subaru boxer.

I am not a professional car driver by any means but I want to get into auto crossing and learn sports driving abilities, I hope the GR Corolla comes with some sort of track day access which I guess that experience is what is steering a lot of us to look for this hot version of the regular corolla.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,123 Posts
Welcome aboard! I was looking at the twins as well before the GRY announcement and then the further GRC rumours. Definitely should be an amazing car to get into auto-cross with

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
Welcome! I'm currently in a Focus ST and have autocrossed it a handful of times. I can confirm. Autocross is a hell of a lot of fun. That said, you're driving literally the best car possible for autocross in your Miata. You should definitely make sure you take that out to the course before you get rid of it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! I'm currently in a Focus ST and have autocrossed it a handful of times. I can confirm. Autocross is a hell of a lot of fun. That said, you're driving literally the best car possible for autocross in your Miata. You should definitely make sure you take that out to the course before you get rid of it!
Yeah I know it will be hard to beat the Miata fun factor but with a second baby on the way it is hard to justify having a two seater as my daily driver, anything can happen and I may be forced to drive the kids with me in case of emergency.

Have you guys set up a deposit to secure the car this year? I have read the post related to the dealers honoring MSRP but there is no information about southern states. I will try to start a research with SC dealers

·
Super Moderator
768 Posts
Yeah I know it will be hard to beat the Miata fun factor but with a second baby on the way it is hard to justify having a two seater as my daily driver, anything can happen and I may be forced to drive the kids with me in case of emergency.

Have you guys set up a deposit to secure the car this year? I have read the post related to the dealers honoring MSRP but there is no information about southern states. I will try to start a research with SC dealers
Totally get that. No kids here, but we transport a Husky and a Blue Heeler on a regular basis. I can't imagine trying to run them around in a Miata. That said, if there's a local autox scene, definitely give it a shot before you sell the Miata. Most AutoX clubs will also do a performance driving school, where they teach you how to find the limits of your car. Did that in my ST a few months back, and I've never been more confident behind the wheel of a car than I am now.

I've found a couple in Mid and North AL. No ideas for N. Carolina yet, but there was a website tracking dealer markups for various cars. I'll link it below. It helped me find the 2 in Birmingham. If you find one, definitely let us know in that thread so others in your area and be better informed. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.