Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
It’s certainly possible. But I also think SCCA has plenty of idiotic rules for Solo classing so who knows what they will do
I got bumped from street prepped to street modified (huge bump) just because replacing my intercooler required me to remove Ford's stupid Active Grill Shutter system. Removing a system from the car instantly bumps you up to modified. Nevermind that an intercooler gave me 0% performance improvement.

·
Super Moderator
767 Posts
I've already dropped the car's weight by 13 pounds since July 1st. I've matched a carbon fiber roofs benefit lol. Hoping I can squeeze out another 10-15 pounds.
Nice! I've performed a driver mod to lose 9 lbs so far. Hoping for 20-30 total by late October and 60 all in all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's my spreadsheet for the weight reduction that I completed on my 2016 Focus RS.
I was able to delete 302 lb, but I added back 42 lb. Autox weight now is ~3169 lb.

I don't plan on going as aggressive on my future GR because it will be my daily.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Based on the press release today, curb weights are:
Core grade 3,252 pounds
Core grade with Performance Package 3,262 pounds
Circuit Edition 3,285 pounds
MORIZO Edition 3,186 pounds

My questions are where the extra weight on the Circuit Edition is coming from? The CE is supposedly 23lbs heavier than the Core with PP, even though it has the carbon roof!
I get a few pounds for the extra speakers in the premium sound system, and I can’t imagine the heated/suede seats and qi charger add more than a couple pounds. Is the vented hood really heavy? Roof spoiler? Or is the carbon roof actually heavier than the steel roof?

But by my math: rear seat, rear door window motors and speakers, and rear wiper are good for ~80lbs combined (assuming 20lbs benefit (18.25 vs 23lb ea) for the BBS Forged wheels over the cast Enkei wheels based on GRY wheel weights)

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
2,123 Posts
Based on the press release today, curb weights are:
Core grade 3,252 pounds
Core grade with Performance Package 3,262 pounds
Circuit Edition 3,285 pounds
MORIZO Edition 3,186 pounds

My questions are where the extra weight on the Circuit Edition is coming from? The CE is supposedly 23lbs heavier than the Core with PP, even though it has the carbon roof!
I get a few pounds for the extra speakers in the premium sound system, and I can’t imagine the heated/suede seats and qi charger add more than a couple pounds. Is the vented hood really heavy? Roof spoiler? Or is the carbon roof actually heavier than the steel roof?

But by my math: rear seat, rear door window motors and speakers, and rear wiper are good for ~80lbs combined (assuming 20lbs benefit (18.25 vs 23lb ea) for the BBS Forged wheels over the cast Enkei wheels based on GRY wheel weights)
The cold weather and tech packs may add quite a few pounds. The sound system is probably more than just 2 more speakers and the phone charger may add more than you think

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
421 Posts
I believe the Circuit stereo also upgrades the other speakers, so they may be heavier too. Plus most of those things need several feet of wire which has weight too. Figure 3lbs per new speaker, 5lbs for the venting on the hood, 2lbs for the qi system and 5lbs per seat in heating wire, boom 23lbs.

What I find more surprising is that the Morizo is only 76lbs lighter than a Core + PP. That's a lot of functionality to give up for not much of a weight savings.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I believe the Circuit stereo also upgrades the other speakers, so they may be heavier too. Plus most of those things need several feet of wire which has weight too. Figure 3lbs per new speaker, 5lbs for the venting on the hood, 2lbs for the qi system and 5lbs per seat in heating wire, boom 23lbs.
That assumes no weight reduction from the carbon roof…

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
421 Posts
I mean I made those numbers up so who knows until people start pulling one apart and weighing stuff. If the Core roof is aluminum there might not be much savings from the carbon anyways. My point is all the little things add up pretty easily.

·
Registered
2017 Lexus IS350, 2007 Toyota Camry, 1995 Toyota MR2, 1996 Honda Acty
565 Posts
As I had speculated previously, I think there's a lot of easy weight to get rid of without sacrificing usability and driveability.

I think you can shed 100 pounds fairly easily with the following mods:

• Aftermarket forged wheels
  • High quality aftermarket seats
  • Antigravity lightweight battery
  • Aftermarket exhaust

Source: Personal experience and data found online on the GR Yaris.

That would make the Core and Circuit come in at the Morizo's weight.

If you really want to go crazy, you can start replacing stock fasteners and brackets with titanium fasteners and brackets. Each bolt is minimal weight but added together it adds up.

Revolution did this on their GR Yaris and explains their weight stripping process at length in a Best Motoring video.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts