Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Release Date, Specs, Pricing Discussion banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,995 Posts
Been into weight reduction on my other platforms.
I think getting to ~3000lbs will be fairly easy, albeit expensive after the first 100lbs or so.
Trunk junk -5lbs
sound deadening - 5-10lbs
is there a spare in this car or just a repair kit? -15-40lbs
aftermarket exhaust -20-40lbs
intake - 5-10lbs
lighter wheels ~6lbs x 4 wheels = -24lbs
lightweight battery -15-20lbs
carbon fiber driveshaft -10-12lbs
dry carbon hood -4-10lbs
random interior -5-30lbs
run half a tank lol -36lbs
Just a repair kit and battery are in the back

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think getting to ~3000lbs will be fairly easy, albeit expensive after the first 100lbs or so.
Trunk junk -5lbs
intake - 5-10lbs
dry carbon hood -4-10lbs
random interior -5-30lbs
The rear seats should be worth ~40lbs, if you’re willing to make it a 2-seater

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
If you're pulling the rear seats you may as well pull the rear window motors
Gesture Happy Art Snout Window

I won’t say I’m not considering it…but even if you never have rear passengers, opening the rear windows has its advantages. You can cut wind noise/buffering and get some fresh air without a face full of air (nice in winter) by cracking front and rear windows.
I’d be down with some manual crank windows though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Glad to see this pop up already. Even tho I’d like to keep mine simple/functional as it’ll be the daily, I’ve always been into weight reduction in past cars.

Curious to see how doable the 3000lbs range will be without sacrificing a bunch of comfort/safety

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,837 Posts
Trunk junk -5lbs
intake - 5-10lbs
dry carbon hood -4-10lbs
random interior -5-30lbs
No spare, just a repair kit. They moved the battery to where the spare would go

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,837 Posts
View attachment 2105
I won’t say I’m not considering it…but even if you never have rear passengers, opening the rear windows has its advantages. You can cut wind noise/buffering and get some fresh air without a face full of air (nice in winter) by cracking front and rear windows.
Carbon door cards with crank windows sounds like a great conversion

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe…I assume the stock seats will have airbags in them. I’m hesitant to remove safety features, and have a pesky “airbag” light on the dash. Unless you mean removing the rear seats.
The light is easily fixed with a resistor.

Pretty light seats though relatively speaking for OEM, you can save quite a bit if you are willing to go to a race bucket - not recommended for a street car.

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
284 Posts
View attachment 2105
True, but we're talking about taking out all kinds of comfort and functionality to remove weight that you won't even notice lol. The two/three extra window motors and mechanisms are quite heavy, I'd ditch those before I'd lose A/C.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since this is going to be a family daily for me I'm probably just going to opt for lighter wheels for track days, a lighter battery, and remove the rear seats as well as passenger seat. That should easily net you over 100lbs in savings which can all be reversed in about an hour to stock if your handy with an electric impact.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So Toyota just announced the ultra-limited-edition “Morizo Edition” which trims “about 100 lbs” by deleting the rear seats, removing rear door speakers, rear window regulators, and rear wiper motor and wiper arm (and BBS forged wheels)
I now feel vindicated by my desire to do these exact things for weight reduction, we might even be able to do it “OEM Plus” by using the wiper block-off plug and rear seat delete cover.
Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
509 Posts
Im thinking i might want this since its factory and id still be in stock class. But i really want rear wipers, so would putting that back take me out of stock? Lol. Stuff like that sometimes happens, you get taken out of stock class for weird mods.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,837 Posts
Im thinking i might want this since its factory and id still be in stock class. But i really want rear wipers, so would putting that back take me out of stock? Lol. Stuff like that sometimes happens, you get taken out of stock class for weird mods.
Guess we'll have to see when the car comes out. Guess you can always take the rear wiper back off to compete though

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
its fun to be competitive in your class and PAX well, but some of the mods that bump you up don’t make any sense, which makes it less fun for casual racers that like to modify their cars for pleasure beyond autoX.

i am uncertain what SCCA solo category you would land in if you “add” the rear seat/window motor/speaker/wiper delete, since technically they are OEM options. I think for Street you would need the carbon roof and rear braces …kind of silly since you’re not even getting the full benefit of the ME but you still get classed up. I’d love it if Toyota offers a stand-alone rear seat delete package on the Core

·
Registered
☆ 1991 Celica GTFour RC ☆ 2000 Grand Cherokee ☆
284 Posts
If you're able to option it back on from the factory would you be alright? Or factory option the other deletes onto a Core or Circuit?

·
Registered
'13 FR-S, '09 Yaris 5 Dr, '88 Celica All-Trac, '87 FX16, '83 FJ40, '69 Datsun 510, Suzuki XL-7
509 Posts
If you're able to option it back on from the factory would you be alright? Or factory option the other deletes onto a Core or Circuit?
Yup, if its factory options you can usually do it.
Our region is not too uptight about it and im not so good to be contending for top spots anyway so i doubt anyone would care if i put rear wipers on and it would be considered non stock.
So if im able to get an ME, id prob put rear wiper back on and just run it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Oh darn, injust skimmed a summary and theres a clause about 1,000 produced for USA. So Toyota, to meet these pseudo Solo II homologation rules, you need to build at least 1,000!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It’s been many moons since I autox’d (and when I did I was in an uncompetitive car classed in STU, or FSAE which plays by its own rules), but I think the 1000 production would cover all GR Corollas rather than 1000 of each specific edition.

·
Super Moderator
585 Posts
It’s been many moons since I autox’d (and when I did I was in an uncompetitive car classed in STU, or FSAE which plays by its own rules), but I think the 1000 production would cover all GR Corollas rather than 1000 of each specific edition.
I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I know some cars are split out even by trim level and options. For example, the Mustang is in like 5 classes, one for the stock Mustang, one for the GT, one for GT with performance pack, one for the GT350 and one for the GT500. Granted, several of those trim levels are major bumps in performance and basically different cars, but Mustang GT to Mustang GT with PP is the one I was thinking of specifically. Same power number, but slightly bigger wheels and brakes.

·
Super Moderator
2011 FJ TT, 2001 IS300
1,837 Posts
I'm not 100% sure how it works, but I know some cars are split out even by trim level and options. For example, the Mustang is in like 5 classes, one for the stock Mustang, one for the GT, one for GT with performance pack, one for the GT350 and one for the GT500. Granted, several of those trim levels are major bumps in performance and basically different cars, but Mustang GT to Mustang GT with PP is the one I was thinking of specifically. Same power number, but slightly bigger wheels and brakes.
Yeah if anything, I think the ME would sit in its own class due to the torque increase and the 100lb difference

21 - 40 of 46 Posts