Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
i am also on the fence about this, only because they removed the old Haldex and added the new AWD system to this new RS3. from what i understand its the same one thats in the new VW Golf R. saw a couple videos of it winter driving on ice road course and looked great from what i could see. But no one actually knows whats new in the system nor how it works. Called multiple dealers and no one has actual information on it aside from. yes throws 50% to the rears and can send 100% of that 50% to one tire.
Maybe I mispoke and "better" is not the word, but I do question its reliability, maintenance and cost to repair. It is a new tech and is probably good, but I am not sure if it's proven or not.

There are videos audi released about the specifics of how it works, but what they did is eliminate a traditional rear diff, and instead have clutch packs on each rear axle. Whereas the GRC has a single clutch pack on the driveshaft coupler itself controlling connection to the traditional rear diff.

BTW I saw your other post. just curious how you got the 62k out the door number for an RS3? I figured no less than 70k

Discussion starter · #42 ·
Maybe I mispoke and "better" is not the word, but I do question its reliability, maintenance and cost to repair. It is a new tech and is probably good, but I am not sure if it's proven or not.

There are videos audi released about the specifics of how it works, but what they did is eliminate a traditional rear diff, and instead have clutch packs on each rear axle. Whereas the GRC has a single clutch pack on the driveshaft coupler itself controlling connection to the traditional rear diff.

BTW I saw your other post. just curious how you got the 62k out the door number for an RS3? I figured no less than 70k

well yes when talking toyota vs audi repair toyota will always be cheaper than audi.

Yes, from what i understand the new system is supposed to be proactive, rather than reactive. this is also the same system thats in the Golf R.

i lied with my options im 64 out the door, msrp is 58k plus 5k in add ons black optics package and technology package, plus 1k delivery gets me 64k, however i wont be paying the 1k for delivery and that will be my title and fees

well yes when talking toyota vs audi repair toyota will always be cheaper than audi.

Yes, from what i understand the new system is supposed to be proactive, rather than reactive. this is also the same system thats in the Golf R.

i lied with my options im 64 out the door, msrp is 58k plus 5k in add ons black optics package and technology package, plus 1k delivery gets me 64k, however i wont be paying the 1k for delivery and that will be my title and fees
I am guessing youre in oregon if theres no taxes. must be nice! I priced one out at 67k before taxes and fees. and registration on it for me would be around $1500 in addition to that.

"No taxes", what a great idea.😉
Yea it's a thing in Oregon. More specifically no sales tax. I think they still pay income tax.

About sales tax in Oregon
Oregon doesn't have a general sales or use/transaction tax.
However, Oregon does have a vehicle use tax that applies to new vehicles purchased outside of the state. The tax must be paid before the vehicle can be titled and registered in Oregon.

In colorado when buying a car, we need to pay a 1.1% tax to pay for the bus/train system, even though we are buying a car to NOT use that system...

And how does one not pay the delivery/transport fee which is part of a dealer’s invoice for the car?

Discussion starter · #47 ·
And how does one not pay the delivery/transport fee which is part of a dealer’s invoice for the car?
easy, tell them im not going to pay for the delivery of a vehicle they were going to recieve regardless if i "ordered" it or not. The vehicle one with or without me was going to that dealer, since allocations. SO why should i pay an extra 1k for shipping it,

easy, tell them im not going to pay for the delivery of a vehicle they were going to recieve regardless if i "ordered" it or not. The vehicle one with or without me was going to that dealer, since allocations. SO why should i pay an extra 1k for shipping it,
The delivery fee on any car is charged to the dealer on every car they receive as part of their invoice cost. There’s a real cost incurred from unloading at a port, passing customs, then being loaded on a train/truck, etc to get to the dealer. There is pretty much zero chance they’re going to essentially give you a $1000 discount from their cost in today’s market.
If you get the transportation cost removed I’d sure like to see that sales contract.

The delivery fee on any car is charged to the dealer on every car they receive as part of their invoice cost. There’s a real cost incurred from unloading at a port, passing customs, then being loaded on a train/truck, etc to get to the dealer. There is pretty much zero chance they’re going to essentially give you a $1000 discount from their cost in today’s market.
If you get the transportation cost removed I’d sure like to see that sales contract.
True.

If you’ve read any of my previous posts, my “in” for a GR Corolla is a longtime friend who works for a Texas dealer group with several Toyota stores as well as probably another half dozen brands. He just told me last week his duties have shifted and his main brand focus will now be Audi. Just for curiosity‘s sake I asked about RS3 availabilty. A couple days later he told me the Audi Inventory manager said it takes as much as 9-10 months for an RS3 order! I’ve seen a handful in dealer stock, are they really that scarce? That’s basically ordering for the next model year.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
If you’ve read any of my previous posts, my “in” for a GR Corolla is a longtime friend who works for a Texas dealer group with several Toyota stores as well as probably another half dozen brands. He just told me last week his duties have shifted and his main brand focus will now be Audi. Just for curiosity‘s sake I asked about RS3 availabilty. A couple days later he told me the Audi Inventory manager said it takes as much as 9-10 months for an RS3 order! I’ve seen a handful in dealer stock, are they really that scarce? That’s basically ordering for the next model year.
yes, unless you can somehow grab a dealer that has an allocation that hasnt been picked up yet. I was given that chance but they wanted 5k ADM. So i found another dealer that does MSRP only and they are saying april timeframe. He actually text me this past weekend and was excited to see if they get any RS3 Allocations. but yeah i would say about 8-12 months.

Ive read your post, im leaning towards an RS3 simply because i know its obtainable and especially when how many people here are getting fucked over by either dealers adding on ADM even though they have paperwork saying MSRP or dealers just changing the list order and giving them to friends and family.

yes, unless you can somehow grab a dealer that has an allocation that hasnt been picked up yet. I was given that chance but they wanted 5k ADM. So i found another dealer that does MSRP only and they are saying april timeframe. He actually text me this past weekend and was excited to see if they get any RS3 Allocations. but yeah i would say about 8-12 months.

Ive read your post, im leaning towards an RS3 simply because i know its obtainable and especially when how many people here are getting fucked over by either dealers adding on ADM even though they have paperwork saying MSRP or dealers just changing the list order and giving them to friends and family.
Beaverton stopped the list as its too many people. I tried. Found a dealer in Atlanta for msrp. Ordered a RS3 at msrp. Going to be a long wait though.

With that much of a price difference you could drop that into the grc and match power if not have more also buy a better stereo and interior lol you're looking at 20k price difference.
True. Ironically still two cars I was in-between with the bmw m240ix as well. Ultimately I went with the RS3. Toyota has made it nearly impossible to get anything but a core with limited releases and high markups. My msrp Toyota dealer still hasn't received a core and is a big dealership in a major city. It's a great little car if you can get a circuit. Only a select few will it appears and most likely will be paying over 50k or even 60k for one. Now you're talking 10k or RS3 prices.

Discussion starter · #56 ·
Beaverton stopped the list as its too many people. I tried. Found a dealer in Atlanta for msrp. Ordered a RS3 at msrp. Going to be a long wait though.
Call them back and take my spot, i ended up buying a WRX since well shit i could get it 2k below msrp and at 2.9% and dont have to play a waiting game

Discussion starter · #58 ·
Thats a great deal you got. Wish I could, I'm in on a deposit with Atlanta now. Waiting a bit benefits the amount I can put down and be better prepared financially.
i never had to put a deposit down for mine. They say you dont till the vin gets assigned as it will then become your car. but if you want call them and talk to Mike. He was the guy i was using, as much as i would love a GR paying anything but MSRP is out for me especially when i got a fully loaded wrx for 37k OTD. People are starting to tune these things and are seeing upwards of 450HP for how long great question. That and the fact that my local dealer has still yet to get ZERO allocations somehow.

No you couldn't the RS3 is in another league altogether from an engineering point of view.

If the RS3 or the A45S came out in a manual and dumped the bloat, I probably would have seriously looked at buying one.

The reason the GRC is getting traction is because its a AWD and manual, its exploiting a market segment left behind by the STi.

Unfortunately I think its now to late to expect anything new that's really cool and old school, the move to electric and the changing emissions regulations are moving to fast.
You're clearly missing what I wrote but it's ok go off lmfao

i never had to put a deposit down for mine. They say you dont till the vin gets assigned as it will then become your car. but if you want call them and talk to Mike. He was the guy i was using, as much as i would love a GR paying anything but MSRP is out for me especially when i got a fully loaded wrx for 37k OTD. People are starting to tune these things and are seeing upwards of 450HP for how long great question. That and the fact that my local dealer has still yet to get ZERO allocations somehow.
Do you know what number you are on the list? I have a non refundable deposit with current dealer. I might be interested. Idk how he would know its you I'm referring to. Thx.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.