Toyota GR Corolla Forum - Ownership Discussion banner

GRC vs RS3

11K views 59 replies 22 participants last post by  GR3000 
#1 ·
Yes i know about 15k price difference MSRP. However the only reason why its even a question some may get lucky and get MSRP, alot including myself have been told a MIN of 5K ADM (50K0 shoot even called a couple and theyve said starting at 10K(60K). At that price point i cant justify spending 60 for a Corolla when you can get a RS3 with 400 HP AWD granted not Stick (wich to me is a huge no, But then the wife is on board since she can drive it now). Just wondering everyones thoughts. Especially since 0-60 in the RS3 is 3.3 and less

#3 ·
I'm biased but I get the dilemma. If you can go sit in a regular Corolla hatch with the wife. A lot of people feel strongly about the spartan interior from what I've seen, so If that's something you can live with for the price then go for the Corolla.

The new RS3 does have a lot of cool stuff going on with the AWD system being pretty playful, GR Corolla has similar characteristics to a STI for reference.

#7 ·
I'm biased but I get the dilemma. If you can go sit in a regular Corolla hatch with the wife. A lot of people feel strongly about the spartan interior from what I've seen, so If that's something you can live with for the price then go for the Corolla.

The new RS3 does have a lot of cool stuff going on with the AWD system being pretty playful, GR Corolla has similar characteristics to a STI for reference.
Whats funny is i was going to buy a 20-21 STI, then heard they are revamping the whole damn car so i passed on it in the height of the pandemic. 0% interest, invoice because they still had 2000s technology engine wise. Then they canned it then they released info on this on aprils fools day, buddy sent it to me and said hey look. im like yeah ok thanks dick.

But now with all this talk about ADM and even my local dealer saying oh yeah 5k easy ADM if you happen to even get one. i Can just go grab a RS3 sure 15k more buy im youngishhhh still gotta be stupid get a fast fun car before drop that idea. AWD is a must where i live especially if the wife is driving.

#11 ·
RS3 is amazing but it's a tad overhyped IMO. Even with the rear diff trickery, I'd have a hard time spending near 70k on a FWD based car. If you are into tuning your cars to crazy power, RS3 is appealing. But if you enjoy shifting gears and driving dynamics more than outright HP, it isn't the best choice. I'm going with the CT4-V Blackwing with a manual at that price point.

#20 ·
correct me if im wrong, the GR is also FWD based, unless you go and stay in track mode. Thats the only time the car is 50-50. So kinda confused at your point. Yes the RS3 is FWD, However if the computer feels slippage it sends power to those tires. The new system is active not reactive, alot of people like it considering it eliminates understeer that previous generations had.

#16 ·
The RS3 is just an absolute ANIMAL. For me, there's no contest. The outright horsepower would win me over, over the desire for having manual in the GR. But that's me. You're going to have to determine what better suits yourself and your personal wants/needs.

#23 ·
I'm very biased to the GR but mainly because I just don't like autos. I know they're faster, more efficient, etc etc but driving an auto just makes me wish things were manual. But also, you'll have cheaper/longer lasting parts with the GRC in the long term if you keep either past warranty. I'm sure you can get VW branded parts that fit for cheap but it's not always the case

#24 · (Edited)
This is the only Audi RS3 we can buy in Canada.
Probably the best handling one you can get, unfortunately not for the road.

Here is the explanation.

Car Vehicle Wheel Tire Hood

#36 · (Edited)
I was also cross shopping the two, and if the GRC did not announce release this year I was planning to pull the trigger on ordering an RS3. The reason I like the GRC is that I think it has a better awd system and "hopefully" has toyota reliability. I think the G16 is just as wonderful as the audi 5cyl in its own right. I mean, who would think that a 3cyl can push 500hp without built internals?? I think that shows they really put some engineering into this platform and with some mods would be a fun car. I personally don't care either way about manual vs auto tbh, as long as the auto is a good one.

I will also say that repair and maintenance costs on the GRC would be significantly cheaper and it should be much easier to work on. If you blow the 5cyl i think the replacement cost is 38k for a long block.

I still am looking at other cars in case I don't get a GRC as I am circuit or bust, as I do want it to be somewhat special. The rs3 is looking a little small inside, so I am also considering the RS5 and Macan GTS currently If I don't get a GRC.

No matter what I get I do plan to mod it, so it has to be a car that will have tuning and at least some parts available.

The price of an RS3 would also be significantly more than the GRC. I priced one out and even at MSRP its ~70k without the ceramic brakes.

#37 ·
I pulled up behind an RS3 last night coming out of a restaurant. It was the perfect color(red) and I put my window down to hear it as it took off. He didn’t really gun it but the raspy guttural sound punctuated by the rapid fire auto-shifts was wonderful.
I had a first gen TT-RS so I know how glorious that engine is. I do prefer hatchbacks and manuals but an RS3 would be a hoot I’m sure.

#50 ·
If you’ve read any of my previous posts, my “in” for a GR Corolla is a longtime friend who works for a Texas dealer group with several Toyota stores as well as probably another half dozen brands. He just told me last week his duties have shifted and his main brand focus will now be Audi. Just for curiosity‘s sake I asked about RS3 availabilty. A couple days later he told me the Audi Inventory manager said it takes as much as 9-10 months for an RS3 order! I’ve seen a handful in dealer stock, are they really that scarce? That’s basically ordering for the next model year.

#51 ·
yes, unless you can somehow grab a dealer that has an allocation that hasnt been picked up yet. I was given that chance but they wanted 5k ADM. So i found another dealer that does MSRP only and they are saying april timeframe. He actually text me this past weekend and was excited to see if they get any RS3 Allocations. but yeah i would say about 8-12 months.

Ive read your post, im leaning towards an RS3 simply because i know its obtainable and especially when how many people here are getting fucked over by either dealers adding on ADM even though they have paperwork saying MSRP or dealers just changing the list order and giving them to friends and family.

#55 ·
True. Ironically still two cars I was in-between with the bmw m240ix as well. Ultimately I went with the RS3. Toyota has made it nearly impossible to get anything but a core with limited releases and high markups. My msrp Toyota dealer still hasn't received a core and is a big dealership in a major city. It's a great little car if you can get a circuit. Only a select few will it appears and most likely will be paying over 50k or even 60k for one. Now you're talking 10k or RS3 prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.